What's new

ASUS AX88U with Merlin repeater not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yesgeek

Occasional Visitor
I have an ASUS AX88U and I'm having a hard time keeping my Xbox and PC from disconnecting. I'm connecting to my public building network and using the repeater to extend the signal from a Ubiquiti access point that's about 15 feet away from my AX88U. When the router is in repeater mode I lose most of the functions but I don't have access to the router so I cant connect directly. I've tried resetting the modem and downloading the firmware again and restoring again before configuring and still doesn't work. I'm thinking it a problem with DHCP but I don't see an option to disable it in repeater mode. I was thinking .of switching to router mode disabling DHCP and then going back to repeater mode to see if that works. Media bridge mode is basically the same thing as repeater mode but requires my clients to be connected to the ASUS using a LAN which won't work for me.

I'm also running a Gli.Slate in repeater/WISP mode that connects to my Asus router in repeater mode that creates a new IP that acts as a firewall so that I can hide my other devices connected to it so you can only see my Glirouters IP but every device connected to it is hidden. A network inside of a network INCEPTION haha. What's funny is I never have a problem with any devices that are connected to the Slate which is connected to my Asus router which has been giving me a lot of fo issues.

I purchased the AX88U to be used as a repeater because I figured with a quad-core processor and 6 antennas it would be a beast as a repeater. Maybe overkill but I wanted something that was future proof since it was pretty powerful and had WIFI 6.

Before I was using the Slate as a repeater with OpenVPN running my VPN but I wasn't getting great speed. Its a travel router after all even though its a little beast and runs OpenWRT/LUCI like a champ. I really wish I could run OpenWRT on my Asus but I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon because it comes with a Broadcom chip and even if it is eventually supported I've read there is very limited support for drivers and so forth. Or if there was some way to add WISP mode to my merlin build that would be great.

I could just pay for internet service and run my 88u as a router as it was intended for but I'm a nerd and free internet sounds much more appealing and I justified the cost of purchasing my AX88U based on the fact that I was going to save $480 by using the buildings guest network. I get around 100 download speed from the guest network and 50 when I use my VPN on my phone but the most I've gotten out fo the repeater is 60 which is not bad at all if it worked. Maybe its because my phone is powerful? I would think I would get similar speeds using my Asus router but that's not the case.

"I'm thinking it a problem with DHCP ..." It's not. DHCP is turned off in repeater mode because it is not applicable. DHCP wouldn't cause WiFi disconnects anyway.

I don't understand what @Yesgeek repeats with this AX88U router. I would run this Gli Slate router as Wireless Bridge only and double-NAT the AX88U as router, then run the VPN client on the AX88U. This may work only until other nerds in the building come up with the same ideas and the guest WiFi slows down to a crawl.

"I'm thinking it a problem with DHCP ..." It's not. DHCP is turned off in repeater mode because it is not applicable. DHCP wouldn't cause WiFi disconnects anyway.

That’s what I thought but my Xbox kept saying it was a problem with my DNS and my pc was saying the same thing but I don’t see why having a different DNS then the host network would make a difference and I was using 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 and I doubt that both those DNS servers would be having issues. It seems to be working now after Merlin released the new firmware. The official Asus firmware said the new update fixed problems with Wan connectivity so I’m guessing it was this. So far so good.

Your post doesn't make any sense. DHCP, DNS, WAN, Merlin... on a repeater. What? o_O

I don't understand what @Yesgeek repeats with this AX88U router. I would run this Gli Slate router as Wireless Bridge only and double-NAT the AX88U as router, then run the VPN client on the AX88U. This may work only until other nerds in the building come up with the same ideas and the guest WiFi slows down to a crawl.

The AX88u is much more powerful than the Glinet slate which is why I bought it. If I connect it in bridge mode I would need to connect my glinet to my Asus with a LAN connection and that wouldn’t work for my setup because I need my slate router to be about 10ft away and running an Ethernet cable would look messy.

What I wish I could do is Run a lan cable to the Wan port of Ax88u in router mode but I don’t want to get in trouble for messing with their equipment and I think the access points are daisy chained so there wouldn’t be a port available anyway.

There’s not a lot of people living in my building and it’s mostly old retired folks so I’m pretty sure I’m the only geek in the building lol there is a lot of clients on the network about 186 the last time is scanned it but mostly fire sticks and phones. The have 192.168.10 and 192.168.11 available they should open up 192.168.12 but when I tried to set this ip for my router it didn’t work. Not sure if it matters how many clients are on each Ip

I’m getting 120 down and 60 vpn on my phone but I can’t get close to that on my repeater. I thought the ubiquity Accra points spread the signal 360 degrees Since it’s located in the middle between two hallways but it seems Like one hallway gets way better download speed then the halfway I’m in.

A cable to AX88U is fine, but a cable from Gli to AX88U is messy. What’s the difference? Can you run the Gli in bridge mode with no VPN on it? Does the Gli have a good reception from the building’s AP?

A cable to AX88U is fine, but a cable from Gli to AX88U is messy. What’s the difference? Can you run the Gli in bridge mode with no VPN on it? Does the Gli have a good reception from the building’s AP?
Cables are messy in general unless I run cat6 cables threw the walls which I can’t because I’m renting and I’m in a building. I also don’t have a data closet so my routers are placed around the house in different areas that’s why cables are messy for me.

The Glinet router has decent reception but the 88u is way better and has 6 Antenna and a much stronger processor it’s much better at repeating the signal from the ap

You don’t need to repeat the AP. If the Gli has a wireless bridge mode, it gets the AP signal, sends it to AX88U via cable, AX88U creates your own WiFi network in router mode. I don’t know how to explain it to you better.

You don’t need to repeat the AP. If the Gli has a wireless bridge mode, it gets the AP signal, sends it to AX88U via cable, AX88U creates your own WiFi network in router mode. I don’t know how to explain it to you better.

I know exactly what your saying but I don’t think you read what I posted about no using any cables. I’ll try It our just to see if I get an increase in my speed.

Your AX88U can't work in a way you imagine. You need a cable between AX88U and whatever receives the AP signal. You had the answer on this question already. No wireless WAN option on AX88U. No matter how you twist it and turn it, not possible. I'm trying to help you use somehow the $300 router you have purchased without reading the User Manual first. It's available on manufacturer's website. No need to spend $300 to read it.

It’s working already I just wanted to see if there was another way of connecting it but it seems that there is no way around it. Your right I should have done more research before buying the Asus I’m going to buy a Linksys WRT3200ACM and install Open Wrt so I can run it in wisp mode and that should fix my issue.

I tried this today but I was only getting 20 download speed and 50 on the Asus. Is this because the Asus has stronger antennas or is it because it has a faster processor?

Your AX88U can't work in a way you imagine. You need a cable between AX88U and whatever receives the AP signal. You had the answer on this question already. No wireless WAN option on AX88U. No matter how you twist it and turn it, not possible. I'm trying to help you use somehow the $300 router you have purchased without reading the User Manual first. It's available on manufacturer's website. No need to spend $300 to read it.

What if I create VLAN’s using scripts in Merlin?

Yes and I was only getting around 19-20 I tried them both from my phone and the Asus was giving me around 40

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!