What's new

Asus AX89X - Isolate one local host from LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Steve0

New Around Here
Hello,

I’m running a small server connected to my Asus AX89X. I want to isolate this host from the rest of the LAN so that it only has internet access with no access to the LAN.

Am I right to assume that I need another router to separate the server from the LAN? Also, if I were to use Dual WAN on the AX89X, would the router (connected to the AX89X LAN port) work with this function without issues? I intend to set the WAN connection of the 2nd router (the local IP of that router issued by the AX89X) to use the WAN 2 that I want it to use.

My ideal solution is NOT to have a second router involved. I want to isolate the server from the LAN and have it use WAN 2.

P.S. I am looking to avoid using Guest Wi-Fi as a hardwire connection is preferred.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
What kind of server is it? Can't you simply lock it down to internet access without LAN privileges at all, within its OS?

The AX89X would have to minimally support VLANs (which I'm sure it doesn't, at least NOT natively) in order to create an isolated wired connection. So I don't see any way of avoiding the use of a second router.

Assuming the AX89X dual WAN is capable of routing to a specific WAN based on the client's LAN ip, it should be possible to direct a second router, daisy-chained to the primary router WAN to LAN respectively, based on its assigned WAN ip.

What kind of server is it? Can't you simply lock it down to internet access without LAN privileges at all, within its OS?
Hi,

It's not really a server but is being used as one. Someone will remotely connect to it using an RDP service and monitor some social media software on it. I don't want them to have access to my local network in any way.

The AX89X would have to minimally support VLANs (which I'm sure it doesn't, at least NOT natively) in order to create an isolated wired connection. So I don't see any way of avoiding the use of a second router.

Assuming the AX89X dual WAN is capable of routing to a specific WAN based on the client's LAN ip, it should be possible to direct a second router, daisy-chained to the primary router WAN to LAN respectively, based on its assigned WAN ip.
Thanks for confirming. I'll give this a whirl and report back once I've got a second router. Do you recommend working with a particular model for the intended setup that I mentioned above?