What's new

Asus Blue Cave - Won't go in to AP mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rayone

Occasional Visitor
Hi.

I have 2 x Asus Blue Cave's and I bought them for Aimesh. The "Aimess" (1xRouter + 1xNode backhaul Cat5e) never lasted more than 3 days before I had to re-add the node... by clicking search, waiting, clicking add, waiting, waiting some more until a message said it couldn't be added... so I had to repeat this about 3-5x and then it would finally work. This was taking up about 2hrs a week.

So I figured maybe swap around the Router<>Node and put them in AP AiMesh.

I've reset both units, and I'm configuring the router, all seems to work until I've completed all steps (AP mode) and the unit restarts with my new SSID... it always reboots like it's been factory reset, so I have to start again.

If I set it up in Router Mode (default), then change to AP mode it does the same thing factory reset so my only option is to start again.

I'm at the stage where I want to see how well the Blue Cave will handle a sledge hammer.
Is there anything I can change to make it just work in AP mode?

I have tried with the BC's connected to no WAN, WAN via 2 different modems (separately) and WAN via a pfsense box.

Hi.

I have 2 x Asus Blue Cave's and I bought them for Aimesh. The "Aimess" (1xRouter + 1xNode backhaul Cat5e) never lasted more than 3 days before I had to re-add the node... by clicking search, waiting, clicking add, waiting, waiting some more until a message said it couldn't be added... so I had to repeat this about 3-5x and then it would finally work. This was taking up about 2hrs a week.

I've reset both units, and I'm configuring the router, all seems to work until I've completed all steps (AP mode) and the unit restarts with my new SSID... it always reboots like it's been factory reset, so I have to start again.

If I set it up in Router Mode (default), then change to AP mode it does the same thing factory reset so my only option is to start again.

I'm at the stage where I want to see how well the Blue Cave will handle a sledge hammer.

I have tried with the BC's connected to no WAN, WAN via 2 different modems (separately) and WAN via a pfsense box.
Hi.

I'm confused. Wouldn't you set the device mode of operation first and then proceed to configure it for that mode?

OE

requires a serial #, but it can't find my serial #'s.

The serial number is on the label found on the bottom of the router , also printed on the retail package it came packed in.

99.9% sure it's hw fault.
1 Router works as expected.
The other every 1-3times it is reset, it loses everything, and also I think every 24-72hrs... that's why the AiMesh router would lose it's node.

I know where the serial # is, but Asus can't validate it (J3IFHK000250).

The other every 1-3times it is reset, it loses everything, and also I think every 24-72hrs... that's why the AiMesh router would lose it's node.

So, the "AiMess" is actually a defective router with an uncertain serial number.

Where did you buy it?

OE

ASUS makes it difficult with serial numbers. Not always possible to determine if they used Ohs, zeros, ones or Is.

I have had problems with some of my routers when trying figure out what the various combinations might work. Usually had to revert to using an RMA number.

I bet Grisu is right. That's the way mine was. Hard to tell with those small numbers/ letters.

I could enter your serial, exactly like you wrote J3IFHK000250 , it has been identified as wireless Blue Cave

Close up photo
20190701_172839.jpg

I've got one that the O looks like a 0, so it does happen, especially with the small text if is hard to tell the difference.

Grisu, is your screen name German for Dragon? Just guessing from your avatar.
jts

My pair of 68U's number is J8IAGO115397. The O after the G dealt me a little misery until I figured it out. I think there is only one number for the pair. That's the way they requested it.

I am surprised we didn't get it over here. First that I heard of it. I figured it was associated with it somehow. (The dragon that is).
jts

That's interesting. Some of those characters in wiki look familiar. I would have been about 9 in '64 when it first aired. Apparently didn't make it over here, though, so it's just dejavu I reckon.

I used to think you were a night owl, posting at 2 or 3 am in the morning, but you were on the other side of the world almost keeping "normal" hours, if there is such a thing. Doesn't seem that far now.
jts

Hi.

There is no way to fix that issue. That's why a lot of people kicked Blue Cave into trash cans including me. I think Blue Cave is a defective router itself.

ASUS makes it difficult with serial numbers. Not always possible to determine if they used Ohs, zeros, ones or Is.

I have had problems with some of my routers when trying figure out what the various combinations might work. Usually had to revert to using an RMA number.

There appears to be a problem with the ASUS's web site and compatibility with certain browsers/computers . I went to try and register the new AC86 that ASUS sent me under RMA and after trying all various combinations of K4IAHN000041 it kept being rejected as not valis. Since I have ASUS on my speed dial I called them and they verified that the serial number was valid. They then had me switch from using Firefox to Chrome and their web site still rejected the number.

It doesn't help that the type face they use doesn't clearly distinguish between 1 and I.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!