What's new

Asus Download Manager

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jdtj63

Occasional Visitor
Hello All, need some help here.

I just bought a new RT-AC66 router and I like the speed of this thing. I updated the firmware to 3.0.0.4.266 version.

I have not been able to get the Download Manager to work on the router. I have tried turning on and off just about every setting I can find in there. Still all it does when I put the download URL in is say Other and Not Begin. Not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Jim

Revised: I am now running Merlins custom FW for this router .22 version

Last edited:
No One has any experience with the Download Master USB Program?

All I know is it is really flaky!!!

Still can't get it to work. Logged into the router this morning and it says Download Master was not installed.

Help!!!

It is totally flaky but when it works, it works well.

What file system did you format your drive to? I found Ext3 or almost any other linux FS has given me less problems that NTFS. Can you not just reinstall download master? Your files should still be there provided you don't reformat the drive.

Actually, trying to investigate this is causing me problems again. In the usb application list; download master is saying 'install', implying that it isn't installed. Amule is uploading all my files again though and I can't kill the amule processes in from RTMerlin's cmd tab as before.

fun.

I've been having exactly the same issue with my RT-N66U. I came to check my router yesterday and realised my DM had disconnected/uninstalled itself. I tried reinstalling, but everytime I go back to the USB applications screen it comes up with the 'install' link. I've tried different drives, reformatting, reflashing and clearing nvram from a hard reset.

I came across this though today:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...U&id=20121228234324208&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

This is also my post over on my regular forum:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18474156

Could it be server related then?

Download manager

Asus reckon the the server is down? Seriously? Then why does dm install and allow you to use it aftr the install in the first place? The files are on your drive after the install and dm Is accessible if you type in "192.168.1.1:8081/task.asp" in your browser,

Asus reckon the the server is down? Seriously? Then why does dm install and allow you to use it aftr the install in the first place? The files are on your drive after the install and dm Is accessible if you type in "192.168.1.1:8081/task.asp" in your browser,

Not sure this is the same issue, since the RT-N66U installs Downloadmaster from files located in the /rom directory of the firmware. It only goes online for updates. Now, maybe the update check fails, and that causes the page to report as if Downloadmaster wasn't installed. That's just a theory tho.

What always makes it difficult to deal with Downloadmaster is the fact Asus didn't properly setup their Optware repo with a valid Packages manifest. So amongst all the error messages you get, you have to figure out which are "normal", and which are actual new issues.

Personally, I simply recommend people stay away from DownloadMaster. So long you can't disable aMule, DownloadMaster will be a huge bandwidth hog. Best to manually install just Transmission + a GUI for it IMHO.

It does and I can still access it ok. The only thing I'm missing out on really is the link within the router UI so no big deal anyway.

What I'm thinking though is if the router retrieves its version ID when it checks for updates, but can't obtain it, the only thing it can display is the 'install' link.

Can't be certain that's the case, but as there's a few of us now with the same issue I'm guessing its server related in some way.

Yes before it showed the version number installed on the USB Apps page and if there was an upgrade version available for download. Now it does not show this on mine, just the install link. When you install it only counts to about 10 or 12 instead of 99 so it must be confused or can't get version numbers from somewhere?

Looks like that was the issue! It wouldn't appear as installed as it couldn't obtain a version ID from the server. Try installing it now and it'll work fine, server is back up as promised :)

In that case, that is incredibly poor design from Asus if failure to contact the update server causes DownloadMaster to fail to report as being installed. One more reason to not use DownloadMaster I suppose.

Does the DM only work with torrent files?

I was under the impression you could simply copy the download link from the web. Is this not the case? I get the versions now and installed but still does not work. I'm not sure how to get this App to work as the documentation is very poor and I can't find out much about it.

Last edited:
Download Master ver. 3.1.0.70 has options for bit torrent, NZB and eMule.

BT - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent

NZB - http://usenetreviewz.com/nzb-sites/

eMule - http://opcug.ca/public/reviews/emule.htm

I have no experience USING the Asus Download software.

To download the software I had to format a flash drive with EXT3 format. I used http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/linux-partition-manager.htm. Using the EXT3 formatted drive, it took several tries to get the Download software on the router. Slow download (minutes) rather than seconds. Then the software required an upgrade to ver. 3.1.070.
Now I have it so what? I need example(s) and some reason(s) to use it.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!