What's new

Asus Download Master UI not loading all the elements

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mac_user_00

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I've been having some weird problems with my DM interface , most of the times it looks like the below screenshot , but other times it looks & works as normal. I can't figure out what might be causing this behaviour. I have wiped both the router and the hdd and re-installed both the firmware for the router and the DM (also cleared the cookies and tried using different browsers) . I saw that the recommendation is to use Transmission through Entware , but I have no clue how to follow those installation steps. Maybe someone can give me some tips on how to downgrade the DM somehow or any other tips would be welcome.

Appreciate the help.

Router : RT-AC86U / Merlin 386.12 / DM ver. 3.1.0.112

Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 18.48.12.png

Have you checked the hard drive for errors? What type of hard drive is it? What is it's format? NTFS, FAT32, EXT4, other? How is the hard drive connected to the router? Using the USB 3.0 port or the USB 2.0 port? Are you running any add-on scripts? If so which one's

Download Master can be.... problematic. If you haven't done so already use the forum search to find the numerous other discussions about issues with Download Master. Some have moved on to using Transmission (Entware) instead.

Hello, I'm quite new to this forum, but I used DM for years and it was an eternal massive pain in the A. I used to use transmission remote to connect to it rather than bother with the endlessly problematic GUI. It really really is worth spending a short while working out how to install entware onto an HDD and then installing transmission. It's another world. Plus you can still use transmission remote. Better still, get a very cheap low power NUC or similar and use that rather than the router for 24/7 torrents. I read this advice for years on here and never took it. When I did I realised why I should've done it a long time ago.

Have you checked the hard drive for errors? What type of hard drive is it? What is it's format? NTFS, FAT32, EXT4, other? How is the hard drive connected to the router? Using the USB 3.0 port or the USB 2.0 port? Are you running any add-on scripts? If so which one's

Download Master can be.... problematic. If you haven't done so already use the forum search to find the numerous other discussions about issues with Download Master. Some have moved on to using Transmission (Entware) instead.

Hi bennor ,

Yep checked it for errors , even formatted it 2x times . It's a 1TB SSD WD , HFS formatted from the router app , hard drive is connected via a usb3 cable . No scripts , i have no clue how to use those. Thanks for the info, will try to go with Transmission if i don't manage to debug this issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 22.57.55.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 22.57.55.png
    114.1 KB · Views: 17
Hello, I'm quite new to this forum, but I used DM for years and it was an eternal massive pain in the A. I used to use transmission remote to connect to it rather than bother with the endlessly problematic GUI. It really really is worth spending a short while working out how to install entware onto an HDD and then installing transmission. It's another world. Plus you can still use transmission remote. Better still, get a very cheap low power NUC or similar and use that rather than the router for 24/7 torrents. I read this advice for years on here and never took it. When I did I realised why I should've done it a long time ago.
Got it , will give it a go , cause I see everybody keeps recommending this alternative.

BTW an update from today : i have a chrome plugin that adds the torrent files directly to the DM and this seems to be working , even tho the UI is still broken on the DM.

Here's instructions for installing transmission. Install putty, access your router gui, go to administration/system and enable ssh via lan only. Change the port number to another port between 10 & 20 (for ease), and write it down. Apply. Open putty, access the router using router IP address (192.168.**.**) and the port number you set. Log in to router using your admin and password. Next type in amtm and find the format disc option and follow instructions for formatting the disc as ext4 with journaling. Next follow the instructions for installing entware, installing nano and installing transmission found at the below address. Might take you a few goes but you'll get there. You'll probably need to use amtm to install a swap file on the HDD too,. I hope if I've given any bad instructions here someone else will chip in!

Got it , will give it a go , cause I see everybody keeps recommending this alternative.

BTW an update from today : i have a chrome plugin that adds the torrent files directly to the DM and this seems to be working , even tho the UI is still broken on the DM.
Also to your point about the NUC , why is it a problem to use the router for 24/7 torrents ?

Here's instructions for installing transmission. Install putty, access your router gui, go to administration/system and enable ssh via lan only. Change the port number to another port between 10 & 20 (for ease), and write it down. Apply. Open putty, access the router using router IP address (192.168.**.**) and the port number you set. Log in to router using your admin and password. Next type in amtm and find the format disc option and follow instructions for formatting the disc as ext4 with journaling. Next follow the instructions for installing entware, installing nano and installing transmission found at the below address. Might take you a few goes but you'll get there. You'll probably need to use amtm to install a swap file on the HDD too,. I'm hope if I've given any bad instructions here someone else will chip in!

Appreciate it man for explaining it so clearly. Will give it a shot. Cheers

oh ps you also have to enable custom jffs scrips on the router also under admin/system

Well, I'm no expert here, but torrents use a lot of resources so the router is working really hard all the time when it's running torrents, There are other reasons, but as I don't know much I'll leave it to someone who knows more to explain

It's a 1TB SSD WD , HFS formatted from the router app , hard drive is connected via a usb3 cable .
Why is it formatted for HFS and not NTFS or better Ext4?

There are some suggestions on how to properly format a USB hard drive for use with Asus-Merlin at this link:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/#post-483421

For example from that link (assumes SSH and JFFS is enabled on the router):

Prepare the USB Drive for the swap file, Entware, and scripts.
  • If your USB drive is used, make sure to save all files off of it first
  • Format it in your computer with the NTFS file format
  • Insert the USB drive into a router USB port
  • Use your PuTTY skills above to SSH into the router
  • Type '/jffs/scripts/amtm' without the quotes and hit Enter
  • Using amtm's 'fd' command, format the USB drive to Ext4 with journaling and
  • Make sure to also Label the drive too. The router will reboot.
    • Note: MIPS routers are limited to ext2 and ext3
  • Create a swap file using amtm's 'sw' command. I recommend the 2GB size
    • Be patient while this file is created. It will be worth it
  • Using amtm's 'dc' command, enable the disk checker utility
  • Reboot the router and make sure to check the disk checker log to ensure the USB drive 'passes'
The router is now able to take advantage of the USB drive and the swap file we created on it to better manage the physical RAM it has and to always use as much as possible for the task(s) it is currently focused on.
-----------------------------------
I've experimented with Download Master on several Asus routers (RT-AC68U and a RT-AX86U Pro) and found it very difficult and problematic to use. Sometimes it would just fail outright to work properly despite testing it on several different USB hard drives. Based on numerous comments here its better to to go the Transmission/Entware route if you want to do file downloading/uploading via the Asus router.

So I've managed to Install Transmission on my merlin router , however i cannot see the UI in the router page. Does anyone have any suggestions on what i can check if everything is running as it should ?
Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 14.18.47.png

Also the Settings file if ti helps :
Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 14.44.25.png

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 14.44.46.png

Last edited:
So I've managed to Install Transmission on my merlin router , however i cannot see the UI in the router page. Does anyone have any suggestions on what i can check if everything is running as it should ?
View attachment 53772
There is no ui on the router page per se. Login with your webbrowser on port 9091 (assuming you haven't changed it)

Install this too, if you prefer to using a browser - I do. There's also an android version if you have an android phone.