What's new

Download Master fiasco on ASUS RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Boorock70

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

I'm a highly disappointed ASUS fan with a brand new RT-AC68U router.
H/W Ver: A1
MFG YEAR: 2014
Firmware Version :3.0.0.4.376_1663 (newest F/W 28,55 (MBytes) 2014.07.18 update )
Download Master Version : 3.1.0.88 (latest available)
HDD : WD Elements 1TB (brand new, never used )

After 2 days of the initial setup, I really can say that the horror stories seems to be true.
I'm highly disappointed... Can't believe that this router is ASUS branded ?!?

The 1st point of this $215 purchase was using the "Download Master" with a higher spec router.
But it seems DM (Download Master) is a complete fiasco !

Download Master is a very faulty / buggy program. It "always" stucks, freezes in 5-7 hours what ever your load is.
Tried to download 4 ED2K files as recommended by Asus & it got stuck after a while.
Tried to download more than 4 ED2K files & it got stuck after a shorter while...
(the P2P network is not important, ED2K or BT etc. The malfunction is not related with the network type)

There are lot's of people complaining on the forums, trying to find a solution.
As most of the users already experienced about this stucking, freezing issue, I really wonder if there is anything to be done to make this sh*t work as it is advertised ??? :mad:

When DM gets stuck, the HDD activation light stops blinking but the router menu (GUI) is reachable.
There is no downloading activity but internet is reachable, I can surf the web.
RT-AC68U never reboots or loses connection but the DM (Download Master is freezed already, doing nothing!)
Also DM says it is still downloading which is a complete bullsh*t and none of the functions (resume, pause, remove etc at the top menu) work in the download master menu.

I can even reach the modem by the android app & see the files were downloading but they are not. They are all stuck, freeze.

The only cure that I can find is to reboot the router;
if the RT-AC68U recognizes the HDD: fine it runs everything from the HDD including DM begins downloading.
But if the HDD isn't recognized; virtually unplug the HDD by the GUI functions, re-mount the HDD and disable-enable the download master utility.
So that it can work for a couple hours more... (5-7 hours max.)

And if the download master was working by chance, I can feel that my internet connection was sucked dry, occupying the whole bandwidth, super slow response & pings...
I can't even surf the web but the download master is using only %10 speed of my DSL connection although there are no limitations ?!?

I'm an old eMule fan, which I've used for years & I know what I'm saying.
This DM utility acts like in the early days of eMule & other P2P programs...

- Weird behavior after some time!
(the tasks, downloading files appear & disappear on the main download screen. It is definitely NOT stable)

- Unstable RAM and CPU usage
(RAM usage go between 50-230mb about %90 of 250mb and then suddenly it drops... then slowly, slowly rises again. CPU usage is weird too. 1st core runs more, goes from %10 up to %80 but the 2nd core is between %1 - %20)

- Loves to freeze, get stuck and needs to be rebooted in every 5-7 hours again in order to make this damn thing work.

What's going on ASUS?
How did you succeed to manufacture a $215 sh*t like this ?

Any ideas of the problem ?

Any Merlin'ated solutions for this ASUS sh*t ?

The original systemlog.txt files attached below.
For those who would like to see what is going on with this router running DM (Download Master)

Unfortunately, I tried several times and believe that logs won't help the developer about the DM's freezing issue as they don't have much information about DM.
The logs never mention about the freezing or the malfunction of DM at that time. DM still thinks it is downloading & RT-AC68U is not aware of this freezing issue at all.

* check out the latest bold lines, and the DM got stuck after 6 hours ! (attachment #1)

Jul 25 21:16:14 transmission-daemon[29782]: Couldn't bind port 51413 on ::: Address already in use (Is another copy of Transmission already running?) (net.c:371)
Jul 25 21:16:14 transmission-daemon[29782]: UDP Failed to set receive buffer: requested 4194304, got 241664 (tr-udp.c:78)
Jul 25 21:16:14 transmission-daemon[29782]: UDP Failed to set send buffer: requested 1048576, got 241664 (tr-udp.c:89)

And here is another systemlog.txt (attachment #2)
same shirt, different malfunctions... but RT-AC68U never lost the connection or never reboots it self. (attachment #3)
The router is rock solid but Download Master SUCKS ! It will freeze in 5-7 hours and you can't see it in the logs
:confused:

Jul 25 22:30:06 transmission-daemon[11403]: Couldn't bind port 51413 on ::: Address already in use (Is another copy of Transmission already running?) (net.c:371)
Jul 25 22:30:06 transmission-daemon[11403]: UDP Failed to set receive buffer: requested 4194304, got 241664 (tr-udp.c:78)
Jul 25 22:30:06 transmission-daemon[11403]: UDP Failed to set send buffer: requested 1048576, got 241664 (tr-udp.c:89)

Jul 25 23:16:42 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jul 25 23:21:52 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jul 25 23:46:56 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jul 25 23:50:51 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jul 25 23:56:46 kernel: ufsd: utf8 failed to convert '25Õ˜u¦¹xêŽ___`8ŸÛ¾`çA.gif' to unicode. Pos 5, error -1, chars a6 b9 78
Jul 26 00:11:13 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jul 26 00:47:00 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jul 26 00:52:22 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jul 26 00:52:30 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jul 26 00:56:24 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    13.1 KB · Views: 938
  • syslog2.zip
    4.4 KB · Views: 300
  • systemlog2 NO ReBoot.pdf
    228.2 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:
Download Master on RT-AC68U: another bug !

This time, apart from the routine freezing issue, the tasks (downloading files) just disappeared from the list !

DM can handle the first 10 files on the task list as showing “downloading”
if there is more tasks in the task list, those are indicated by “not begin”

I assigned DM to 30 tasks (which is the limit) ED2K files to be downloaded.
As I can see DM can handle, actually download 4-7 ED2K files at the same time but showing the first 10 ED2K files as “downloading”

But because of the freezing issue of DM, I had to reboot the RT-AC68U several times, as usual.
Although they were flashing (coming & going) in the first 10-20mins of the reboot, I was able to see all of my 30 tasks (ED2K files) every time.

But last nite, DM got stuck again and in the morning, after the routine reboot sequence, I wasn’t able to see my all 30 tasks.
Now I can only see 9 tasks (downloading) and the other 21 is gone... There is nothing ! No pending, "not begin" files in the task list !

This never happened before and now, I have a new bug with DM !?!
Simply, DM is making me real mad !

I don’t believe that, this router can't be an ASUS !

ASUS is known for reliability, rock solid performance and NO mistakes !

Download Master and RT-AC68U needs urgent updates with all those fatal issues fixed.

ASUS is definitely losing the Reputation...

I didn’t paid for excuses or not-working features.
I paid for the features working; as advertised... but I can see that I just threw my money out of the window!

This must be a NIGHTMARE ! :eek:
An ASUS Nightmare..!

syslog attached...

Attachments

• syslog5.zip
    15.4 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Again, you are asking too much out of a 800 Mhz MIPS device with only 256 MB of RAM, all of it going through a USB disk. 20-30 concurrent downloads is too much, use a real PC for that kind of workload.

You won't get any better results with any other router of similar hardware specifications.

Again, you are asking too much out of a 800 Mhz MIPS device with only 256 MB of RAM, all of it going through a USB disk. 20-30 concurrent downloads is too much, use a real PC for that kind of workload.

You won't get any better results with any other router of similar hardware specifications.

I was... I was using an intel-atom cpu ASUS EeePC 1000H with 2gb RAM & mod bios on Win7. It was simply flying... But I sold it to buy this shirt !

and.. again, the problems are NOT related with load!
There is NO difference between in a task of 1-2-4 files or 4-30 files !
All of them give the same result, DM will freeze !
Try it !

ASUS rt-ac68u freezing while downloading

The point is; if this is too much load for this hardware; ASUS should lock it in the firmware. They manufactured it. But they didn't...
You can assign up to 30 tasks, which is the limit (it says that tasks are full @ 30) and the first 10 of them will be active only.

Also, it only downloads 4-7 files of that 10 "downloading" tasks at the same time, the others labeled as "not begin" meaning that there is no progress...

Finally; there still are NO warnings, limitations of load or any other kind of usage scenarios mentioned by the manufacturer except the 30 tasks limit... Are there ?

I'm not asking anything which the unit is NOT capable of.
I'm not modifying the hardware or even the software & asking it to work.

I'm just using the software embedded in firmware of a super-duper router and expecting it to work as advertised.

Finally, what do I have now ?

A $215 router with crappy firmware; supposed & advertised as downloading but somehow can't do anything on that subject!

So, ASUS says something like that...
Sorry guys; we sold these junk for $215 to you and even promised that it can download files as advertised everywhere but guess what ?
- It can't. and we can't correct or repair it ! But we are ASUS the leader in computer business? Huh ?

Let's watch that 2 years old promotion video...
Download Master Promotion Video

and now let's see the problem videos worldwide

ASUS Download Master 3.1.0.88 Issue

ASUS rt-ac68u freezing while downloading

Here are some google searches on the subject... funny, huh ?

ASUS Download Master Problems

ASUS Download Master Freezes

There is definitely a Problem with Download Master... definitely !

Finally, the explanation of Download Master from the ASUS Product page.

Download and stream anywhere
Download Master and enhanced media server let you download and play multimedia files stored on router-attached USB storage on a wide range of compatible devices such as PC, pad, PS3, Xbox, and smart TV. Download Master can also download files while your PC is turned off, and allows you to manage and monitor download status remotely.

Any questions ?

Last edited:
Download Master works great for me and has from day one. Haven't had 30 torrents at once, but have had 20 or so. No problems. That is on an RT-AC66U, however. Using stock firmware 374_5517 (it worked fine with all previous firmwares, too).

ED2K? Wow. I didn't realize people still used eMule at all.

Really ?
Half of the world actually. Mostly at Eastern countries including Europe and very popular in China too. It is better than BT, definitely more stable, faster and source full IMO.
Supports link system compatibility (called magnet in BT) which makes it super easy to use.
Comparison of file sharing applications

It acts like a freight-train, slow at start, gaining speed by time and in 2-3 hrs. it will be an un-stoppable bull, sucking all your band-width with full-speed download ;)

The set-ups (opening UDP, TCP ports etc.) for ed2k / firewall and in the hardware (modem, router etc.) to have HighID, just frighten most of the people and that's why they are going with BT.
Cause it's easy, right-out-of-the box, ready to use which clearly explains BT's popularity.
But remember; No Pain, No gain !

Apart from the ED2K network, the KAD network rocks eMule which, it uses both and at the same time. Depending on your credits (upload total) you just gain priority like a vip pass on other users at both networks.
The best and the most stable version of eMule is the Xtreme version: eMule Xtreme Mod

And if ASUS can adapt the KAD network and join with the ED2K by eMule (or the current aMule Linux client) you just can't believe the sources, seeders and the extensive archive you get.
U simply can find anything u'r looking for. But there should be a search function embedded in that program in order to free-search anything in both networks.

This should be another subject but we do have serious problems with the primitive and buggy Download Master. It is really an unbelievable shirt !

The project should be opened, shared by ASUS.
So that the super-developers like Merlin (and others) can reach and correct this ASUS shame. I really can't imagine how things will be different if they can play with that Download Master.

I believe, it will be the Master of Download :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I could never get the download master to work either. Torrents would never start and you couldn't even delete them from the GUI.

I just have up on it and uninstalled it.

I could never get the download master to work either. Torrents would never start and you couldn't even delete them from the GUI.

I just have up on it and uninstalled it.

Well, uninstalling DM and not informing the ASUS DM developers about the problems you have is the worst thing that can be done.

If, we really want this application to develop, we need to give feedback !

But the feedback must be clear, precise and well explained about the program's glitch with some evidence (pics, data, logs etc.) so that the developers can use in diagnosing the problem.

So, anyone reading this thread should post the experience with their attached syslogs below !

This is the only way that they can provide support and solve the issues...

Check my attached 6th syslog below.

Attachments

• syslog6.zip
    6 KB · Views: 274
...and Another Bug ! : Losing the completed files !

Well, here is another bug from Download Master on RT-AC68U;
Completed ED2K file is Lost !

In this case DM worked for 8 hrs.
At night, the android app send a message to my cell that the file was completed. (which is a very nice feature)

So, when I get up in the morning, I decided to extract that completed file.
As always, DM was stuck again. Completely freeze but the Router works like nothing happened.
When the DM get stucks, none of the buttons on the DM GUI works.
The only thing you must do is to reboot the router.

So, I rebooted the router... after the rebooting sequence, I clicked the "clear the completed tasks" button, waited for 5-6mins and checked the completed file in my attached 1TB WD Elements 1042 HDD on the network.
...network/RT-AC68U-3990/Download2/Completed
And there was nothing !

Turned back the download manager GUI and surprised that the so called completed file was still there, indicated as "finished"
Again, clicked on the "clear the completed tasks" button without any hope...

Finally, I get the "error" message on my completed file !
Although the file was finished hours ago, it wasn't there in the completed folder. It was gone forever..!
(Check the attached pic.)

Download Master is a piece of SH*T !

A complete loss of time...

- Unstable
- Will always freeze, stuck ! (I couldn't use this sh*t more than 12 hrs. before it freezes.)
- Losing the completed and incomplete files (ED2K)
- Once the DM starts, you can NOT use your internet connection. Cause, your whole-bandwidth is sucked-dry by the DM although it is using only %10 of your DSL speed.
- Gives false alarms about the USB HDD you plugged (which is a Router firmware problem. But as you can guess, there is nothing wrong with the HDD)

syslog and file error pic attached...

Attachments

• syslog7.zip
    15.5 KB · Views: 278
  • file error.pdf
    124.7 KB · Views: 465
  • Screenshot_2014-08-07-10-54-14.pdf
    92.7 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
Download Master WORKS !!! (ver. 3.1.0.93)

Woww...!

Upgraded to Merlin 376.44 and installed the DM version 3.1.0.93 automatically (which is not official for now...)
The result : It works, it works like a charm ! :cool:

None of the problems mentioned earlier are there any more.
Although the DM 3.1.0.93 is not official yet, all of my problems seems to be gone..!

This Merlin version of DM worked for 7 days / 4 hrs. and there wasn't any hick-ups, problems at all.
False HDD error messages are gone, no lost files and no freezing!
It is WORKING !

It can download 10 files at the same time, feeding all of them simultaneously !
Reaching the 70% speed of my DSL connection depending on seeders.
Assigned 30 tasks and they were completed flawlessly.

Yes, that should be the initial start...

Now, we just need the extra functions (some people never satisfy:D);

- KAD network adaptaion for ED2K at aMule
- File Search function at ED2K and BT networks on seeders.
- Load Sensing (if there is no load detected on the traffic, DM should go 100% of the DSL speed and full bandwidth for full-speed download)
and any other opinions for further development of Download Master.

If ASUS take this DM function more seriously, they sure will be the No:1 in router-modem networking segment IMO.
and right now, all I can say that they are aimed to that !

I would like to thank Merlin for developing, correcting the issues of DM.
The Merlin 376.44 version of the ASUS 376 Firmware is the best ever done.

Now, we just wait for the MasterPiece; DM with extra functions :p

Thanks for being you Merlin, that's gr8 work !

Last edited:
I would like to thank Merlin for developing, correcting the issues of DM.
The Merlin 376.44 version of the ASUS 376 Firmware is the best ever done.

Now, we just wait for the MasterPiece; DM with extra functions :p

Thanks for being you Merlin, that's gr8 work !

I haven't changed a single line of code related DM, this is 100% Asus's code.

DM 3.1.0.93 has been on Asus's update server since July 18th.

Well, then thanks to ASUS for curing the disease.

But the thing that I don't get is, only your FW loads DM 3.1.093 ?
The original FW 376 were loading DM 3.1.0.88 when I tried several times...

Anyway, I really do like your mods on the FW.
It even looks better :)

I haven't changed a single line of code related DM, this is 100% Asus's code.

DM 3.1.0.93 has been on Asus's update server since July 18th.

Can you post a link?

I'm using Download Master 3.1.0.88. It and every other iteration have worked flawlessly for me on RT-AC66U, so I'm not inclined to update unless it addresses the issue below:

The only thing I cannot do, or have not figured out how to do, with Download Master is to make it selectively download files within a torrent. If the torrent is 3gb of 126 files, but I'm only interested in 1 file, I haven't found a way to untick the files I don't want from the ones I do.

Thanks!

Well, then thanks to ASUS for curing the disease.

But the thing that I don't get is, only your FW loads DM 3.1.093 ?

You should be able to update to 3.1.0.93 after the initial 3.1.0.88 setup (which is what is included in earlier 376_xxxx builds from Asus), unless for some reason Asus published it to the update server but they aren't pushing the update to clients.

Can you post a link?

I'm using Download Master 3.1.0.88. It and every other iteration have worked flawlessly for me on RT-AC66U, so I'm not inclined to update unless it addresses the issue below:

The only thing I cannot do, or have not figured out how to do, with Download Master is to make it selectively download files within a torrent. If the torrent is 3gb of 126 files, but I'm only interested in 1 file, I haven't found a way to untick the files I don't want from the ones I do.

Thanks!

You should be able to update it from the USB Application page. A link to the file on the update server won't be of any use.

You should be able to update to 3.1.0.93 after the initial 3.1.0.88 setup (which is what is included in earlier 376_xxxx builds from Asus), unless for some reason Asus published it to the update server but they aren't pushing the update to clients.

That must be the case. I am running 376_1123 on the RT-AC66U and the latest version of DownloadMaster available is 3.1.0.88 I see on the support page for RT-AC66U and RT-AC68U 3.1.0.88 is the latest available.

Although it also says for 3.1.0.88, "A torrent downloading task may include multiple files and user can choose which files should be downloaded." I still have not figured out how to accomplish this. Anyone know?

Download Master v3.1.0.93 Problems on 376.47 Merlin

Guys, the download master (v3.1.0.93 latest available) on RT-AC68U has problems with 376.47 Merlin release

Tried everything... but it seems hopeless :(

The previous versions of Merlin with this DM release was problem-free (especially 376.44 it was working like a charm)

But it started the typical issues I mentioned before in this post...

ED2K files: get Stuck!
It really is a headache to download ED2K files with 376.47 Merlin with DM 3.1.0.93
They will freeze... No matter what you try !

ED2K + BT files: ED2K files get Stuck but BT files keep on downloading!
Trying to download a mix of ED2K files with BT files are a comedy.
While ED2K files freeze, BT files keep on downloading without any problems.
* Sometimes the DM may stuck too. This happened only 2 times but DM is NOT stable on this 376.47 Merlin FW, I'm sure...

There is a serious problem trying to download with DM 3.1.0.93 on 376.47 Merlin FW !

Hope they will cure it again (ASAP) :confused:

Last edited:
HDD error

Hi,
I've installed latest Merlin's firmware RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_376.48_1.zip on my RT-AC68U and I have a red circle around the USB HDD.
In the "External disk USB status" I got "Errors have been detected on your hard drive. Remove any damaged files or use a PC to correct system issues."

I think it's know problem of official latest ASUS firmware.
Will be there any new firmware from Marlin which will fix this?

Thanks for good work.
Thanks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!