What's new

Asus DSL-AC68U QoS Configuration\Bandwidth Limiter Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Taylordrift21

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum but I would like to ask for some advice if possible.

I recently purchased the Asus DSL-AC68U router a few weeks back to upgrade from my ISP router as the ISP router didn't have any QoS rules or options. I am a regular gamer on console so I needed it mainly for that. From when I got the asus router it was running stock firmware, and I enabled Adaptive QoS with bandwidth limiter manual and I also noticed my ping/latency was lower on my xbox so I was pleased. I thought to begin with it was working but then a few days later I started to get a little lag at times when other devices at home were being used, the main culprit is "Netflix". So I played around with the settings in QoS and found nothing really worked except "Bandwidth Limiter". I can now play the xbox while other people in the house are using Netflix and I don't get the "lag issue". However I did notice my latency has went up on my xbox since. Anyway before I go off track, I upgraded to the Merlin firmware 384.12_gnuton1. So my current settings just now is still on the bandwidth limiter using fq-codel. Which are the better settings to adjust or does the adaptive QoS work fine on this firmware? Any advice available? My problem with using adaptive or traditional even when I adjusted the bandwidth settings for upload and download for priority settings even with the device using netflix and me gaming at the same time was still giving me lag issues. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum but I would like to ask for some advice if possible.

I recently purchased the Asus DSL-AC68U router a few weeks back to upgrade from my ISP router as the ISP router didn't have any QoS rules or options. I am a regular gamer on console so I needed it mainly for that. From when I got the asus router it was running stock firmware, and I enabled Adaptive QoS with bandwidth limiter manual and I also noticed my ping/latency was lower on my xbox so I was pleased. I thought to begin with it was working but then a few days later I started to get a little lag at times when other devices at home were being used, the main culprit is "Netflix". So I played around with the settings in QoS and found nothing really worked except "Bandwidth Limiter". I can now play the xbox while other people in the house are using Netflix and I don't get the "lag issue". However I did notice my latency has went up on my xbox since. Anyway before I go off track, I upgraded to the Merlin firmware 384.12_gnuton1. So my current settings just now is still on the bandwidth limiter using fq-codel. Which are the better settings to adjust or does the adaptive QoS work fine on this firmware? Any advice available? My problem with using adaptive or traditional even when I adjusted the bandwidth settings for upload and download for priority settings even with the device using netflix and me gaming at the same time was still giving me lag issues. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
I'm not sure how your bandwidth limiter is setup but here is mine. I subscribe to 80/15 Fiber to the home. You can see I give priority to 4 devices in the range 192.168.50.26-29, this works really nice. I get A+ bufferbloat scores at dslreports. The speed test results below are scored while I run a 6meg video stream at the same time.
53114923.png

AwesomeScreenshot-192-168-50-1-QoS_EZQoS.asp-2019-08-15_6_39.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks
Use FQ-CODEL fresh jr qos script, set the bandwidth to 95% and set your per packet overhead from the value in the drop box that matches your connection type, also when setting up the script following the instructions on the first page with custom priority if you are stuck with installing pm me.

This is the script if you are intending to use adaptive QoS
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...ements-custom-rules-and-inner-workings.36836/

I'm not sure how your bandwidth limiter is setup but here is mine. I subscribe to 80/15 Fiber to the home. You can see I give priority to 4 devices in the range 192.168.50.26-29, this works really nice. I get A+ bufferbloat scores at dslreports. The speed test results below are scored while I run a 6meg video stream at the same time.
53114923.png

View attachment 19021

Thanks for your reply, Here is my setup for the bandwidth limiter and DSL report. My subscription to fiber is supposed to be 67/19. However my download is not often over 60mbps.
53125731.png

Attachments

• router pic.jpg
    router pic.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 345
Try 60/15 for your bandwidth heavy devices. That's what I did. I kept playing around until I found good results. If you are using dslreports then setup a free account and login so you can track your progress.

Use FQ-CODEL fresh jr qos script, set the bandwidth to 95% and set your per packet overhead from the value in the drop box that matches your connection type, also when setting up the script following the instructions on the first page with custom priority if you are stuck with installing pm me.

This is the script if you are intending to use adaptive QoS
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...ements-custom-rules-and-inner-workings.36836/

Thanks for the heads up, so I have installed the version from FreshJR, I managed that no problem. I have left the settings as he said on the link using Adaptive QoS with bandwidth monitor on manual. The other slightly confusing part was the download bandwidth and upload bandwidth I want gaming to be the highest for both download and upload and streaming films to lowest. Here I have attached a photo showing you what I mean. The other thing was on the tracked connections on my xbox there was a few that came up "Game Rule Untracked" which means the untracked would be under "others" in the priority lists so I assume I would need that to be highest priority too? Last but not least with the settings as they were I tried playing call of duty while netflix streamed on another device and there was no lag but I felt there was possibly a delay when shooting at players they should of been dead but instead I died. lol but that could of been the fact the gaming doesn't look to be on highest priority. Have a look and let me know what you recommend or help me understand the percentages for the upload and download. Thanks

Attachments

• QoS_-_Classification.jpg
    QoS_-_Classification.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 335
  • QoS_-_Classification_-_2019-08-15_16.11.02.png
    QoS_-_Classification_-_2019-08-15_16.11.02.png
    154.3 KB · Views: 272
Try 60/15 for your bandwidth heavy devices. That's what I did. I kept playing around until I found good results. If you are using dslreports then setup a free account and login so you can track your progress.

Yeah I tried various speeds, it seemed to work better taking 10mbps off my download and taking a couple off my uplaod. Ideally I would like the QoS implemented properly though so the traffic is prioritized. However if that doesn't work I will keep it on bandwidth limiter as I know it at least stops Netflix devices hogging up all my bandwidth resulting in terrible online experience. Thanks for your input though much appreciated.