What's new

ASUS equipment to cover the apartment

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aspen63

Regular Contributor
Guys, I need your advice.
For my new apartment I need 3 access points to wirelessly cover it for my mobile devices. I made my best to provide Ethernet connections to fixed end devices like TVs, gaming consoles and PCs but still need a good connection for laptops and smartphones. I plan to buy 10Gb rack NAS and I have fiber channel to connect to the internet.
With all that in mind I plan to buy a decent 10Gb switch but want to buy some consumer router (as I've had great experience with Merlin's SW on ASUS I'm leaning to go that way) plus two wired access points. What would you recommend to buy (router, access points, switch)?

How big is the apartment?

You can likely get away with 2x modern AX routers such as AX86S/U or GT-AX6000 in wired backhaul.

I mean hell. Maybe even 3x entry SoC based routers could also work.

Apartment? 3 APs? This doesn't sound like a good plan so far.

How many SqFt is the apartment? On how many levels? What kind of construction materials are used for the walls/floors?

How many other units are there?

Why doesn't one, properly located, RT-AX86U or better, adequately cover the required area?

With 10GbE switches, NAS, and fiber channel (what is that?), why consider consumer routers at all? The cost to do this 'right' isn't much higher at this point.

Did you try to get a quote from a professional installer? What kind of systems did they recommend?