What's new

ASUS ET12 issues when 6GHz enabled

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

x98car

New Around Here
Just got ASUS ET12 mesh routers set up and having issues when 6GHz is enabled. When it is on my outside ring cameras have serious issues connecting to the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi. Some won’t connect at all. It’s almost like the range of the 2.4GHz is severely lessened when 6GHz is on. As soon as I turn off 6GHz they all connect and work fine. I have smart connect turned on for 2.4 and 5. I have tried having fully separated too though and same issue. I have 3 units using wired back haul at various points in my house. So coverage should be really good, even outside, and is as long as I keep 6GHz off. Which is not ideal as that’s why I bought these routers.

This is odd. I have an ET12 pair (parent and 1 child) and multiple webcams on 2.4Ghz with rock-solid connectivity (so much better than I had with the Netgear Orbi RBKE963 6E mesh with router and 2 satellite nodes). A couple of significant differences in my configuration, though:
  • The ET12 setup is in AP mode rather than router (I have a dedicated OPNSense firewall/router)
  • I'm using a wireless backhaul
I'm not completely without issues, though: Certain 6E-capable Samsung devices can connect fine to the parent but not the child node, but that's really the only problem I've experienced so far. As of my latest exchange with ASUS, they appear to be taking ownership rather than directing me back to Samsung for a resolution. Pointing out that I had no 6E issues with the same devices on the Orbi seemed to be the key that stopped them from passing the buck.

Ya, it is a bit strange. I don't see how just having the 6GHz enabled would affect the cameras outside using the 2.4GHz band. Sounds like they still have some bugs to iron out. I will reach out to ASUS support with my issue to see if they can help.

When you change settings, do you do a complete system reboot? Smart Connect hasn't graduated yet for casual use, enable 6GHz, disable SC, then reboot the whole network and test then.

When you change settings, do you do a complete system reboot? Smart Connect hasn't graduated yet for casual use, enable 6GHz, disable SC, then reboot the whole network and test then.
Yes, did that last time I was troubleshooting. Disabled SC so had 3 different SSID. Did a full reboot of system. Didn’t seem to help unfortunately. Had the same issues with 2.4GHz devices while 6GHz was enabled.

Did you try 'forgetting' or resetting one or more of those 2.4GHz devices, then trying to re-associate it again to see if that fixes the issue?

Did you try 'forgetting' or resetting one or more of those 2.4GHz devices, then trying to re-associate it again to see if that fixes the issue?
Yes, went outside and tried to get the ring camera to reconnect to the Wi-Fi using the change Wi-Fi setting. It wouldn’t pick up the network at all when scanning when 6GHz was enabled. Which is what initially made me think the 2.4GHz signal range is being affected when 6GHz is on. Ring cameras inside were unaffected. They still work fine. Only the outside ones had issues. What I can do is see how the Wi-Fi signal strength on the inside cameras are affected when 6GHz is enabled. That may be able to tell me if it is a signal strength issue.

That doesn't sound like you tried resetting those outside cameras (but I don't use Ring either...).

Check that when you enable 6GHz and disable Smart Connect, and after a reboot, that the Control Channel and the Channel Bandwidth stay the same in the 2.4GHz band. If it does stay the same, set it to a specific manual channel (as a test).

When you are changing network on them you are essentially resetting them. They go back in to the initial setup mode and you go through the process you did with them when first set up. You connect directly to their Wi-Fi signal and then get the camera to scan for Wi-Fi signals to connect to.
Will try the rest of what you suggested, thanks.

Issue seems to have been fixed. Not sure what did it but on 1 of my tries of enabling 6GHz it just started working properly. New firmware update came out today too and all still seems good after the update.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!