What's new

Asus ever going to fix dual wan?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Magnus33

Regular Contributor
Despite asus generally have good support or great if your using Merlin firmware its always failed in the dual wan support.

From day one its never worked correctly often not falling over to backup internet connections of falling over then falling back to the failed connection.

The issue has always seemed to be how asus detects a failed connection with it often refusing to fall over unless the cable from the down modem is unplugged or fall back for some reason even though the primary modem hasn't yet regained connection.

It seems like its detecting the modem itself like its a connection rather the assigned ping or DNS Query .

If you complain to asus they act like nothing wrong but there own forums are full of people complaining about the fault.
Beginning to wonder if its unfixable and asus is just keeping quiet to avoid it hitting the fan.

Despite asus generally have good support or great if your using Merlin firmware its always failed in the dual wan support.

From day one its never worked correctly often not falling over to backup internet connections of falling over then falling back to the failed connection.

The issue has always seemed to be how asus detects a failed connection with it often refusing to fall over unless the cable from the down modem is unplugged or fall back for some reason even though the primary modem hasn't yet regained connection.

It seems like its detecting the modem itself like its a connection rather the assigned ping or DNS Query .

If you complain to asus they act like nothing wrong but there own forums are full of people complaining about the fault.
Beginning to wonder if its unfixable and asus is just keeping quiet to avoid it hitting the fan.

It seems to work for many.

What router do you have? What firmware are you using?

Have you ever reset your router properly to a good/known state to eliminate inter-firmware interactions and other self-modifications you may be doing to it?

What features/options past their default are you using? Do you use a backup config file to restore your settings with?

AC86U same firmware as yourself

As for the firmware just pick one its never worked properly on any of them.
We have a primary cable modem which like all internet connections does go down now and then due to failures or maintenance.

There is a much slower dsl backup which the router suppose to fall over too.
But for some reason asus firmware reads the connection to the modem itself as a live connection to the internet and either refuses to fall over or falls over then falls back shortly there after repeating this endlessly tell the primary is restored.
Apparently this is hardly a isolated problem though with a huge number of people reporting issues like this.

As for the settings you name it its been tried.
Stock settings
Ping only
Dns only
Both
Custom
extra and so on.

The router been reset and nvram cleared with no effect.

This should be a easy setup with the cable modem being automatic ip and the dsl modem in bridged mode to always be connected to the internet.

Here the kicker this has been tried with the AC68U and the RT-AC5300 with the same behavior so at this point its clearly a firmware issue that asus hasn't bothered to fix or can't.
Asus own forums describes dual wan flaky at best and downright broken at worst.

AC86U same firmware as yourself

As for the firmware just pick one its never worked properly on any of them.
We have a primary cable modem which like all internet connections does go down now and then due to failures or maintenance.

There is a much slower dsl backup which the router suppose to fall over too.
But for some reason asus firmware reads the connection to the modem itself as a live connection to the internet and either refuses to fall over or falls over then falls back shortly there after repeating this endlessly tell the primary is restored.
Apparently this is hardly a isolated problem though with a huge number of people reporting issues like this.

As for the settings you name it its been tried.
Stock settings
Ping only
Dns only
Both
Custom
extra and so on.

The router been reset and nvram cleared with no effect.

This should be a easy setup with the cable modem being automatic ip and the dsl modem in bridged mode to always be connected to the internet.

Here the kicker this has been tried with the AC68U and the RT-AC5300 with the same behavior so at this point its clearly a firmware issue that asus hasn't bothered to fix or can't.
Asus own forums describes dual wan flaky at best and downright broken at worst.

How do you know what firmware I'm on? (Caution; signature may not be closer to the truth than it may initially appear). :)

I am not familiar with a regular or even 'now and then' failure or maintenance issue which results in a disconnection. Is this the best hardware the ISP can supply, or that you can purchase on your own?

Does the Dual WAN feature work better when it's in a 'balance' and not 'failover' mode? Does it work better/at all when the DSL is the primary?

Again, after resetting and clearing the NVRAM (how was that done, exactly, btw), did you use a saved backup config file?

Which Asus forum describes its Dual WAN feature as flakey?

I don't hear of too many cases of Dual WAN not working, period. But I have seen/read of the ones that did use it, even if they had issues initially, they were eventually happy with the end result.

Do you have a recent post here with your issues outlined and detailed? Simply creating a post to try to shame Asus isn't going to work to get your issues addressed.

How do you know what firmware I'm on? (Caution; signature may not be closer to the truth than it may initially appear). :)

I am not familiar with a regular or even 'now and then' failure or maintenance issue which results in a disconnection. Is this the best hardware the ISP can supply, or that you can purchase on your own?

Does the Dual WAN feature work better when it's in a 'balance' and not 'failover' mode? Does it work better/at all when the DSL is the primary?

Again, after resetting and clearing the NVRAM (how was that done, exactly, btw), did you use a saved backup config file?

Which Asus forum describes its Dual WAN feature as flakey?

I don't hear of too many cases of Dual WAN not working, period. But I have seen/read of the ones that did use it, even if they had issues initially, they were eventually happy with the end result.

Do you have a recent post here with your issues outlined and detailed? Simply creating a post to try to shame Asus isn't going to work to get your issues addressed.

Well i worked in It/computers for 40 some years o its a process of elimination (crap i feel old saying that)

The modems and service have been changed out and replaced several times due to upgrades or getting a better service/hardware.

We tried it fresh with nothing set beyond wireless and dual wan.

The settings themselves are totally simple so even a laymen going to have little in the way of problems.

All the other equipment be systematically ruled out.

When everything else has been ruled out and multiple different asus models tested and the problem persists a conclusion not hard to reach

Well i worked in It/computers for 40 some years o its a process of elimination (crap i feel old saying that)

The modems and service have been changed out and replaced several times due to upgrades or getting a better service/hardware.

We tried it fresh with nothing set beyond wireless and dual wan.

The settings themselves are totally simple so even a laymen going to have little in the way of problems.

All the other equipment be systematically ruled out.

When everything else has been ruled out and multiple different asus models tested and the problem persists a conclusion not hard to reach

Even without answering all my questions above, it seems like this just isn't working for you in your specific setup.

Still not a case of Asus ignoring or avoiding attention though.

Some are happy with the Dual WAN features as is. And, I would think that 'some' here must be the majority, considering how few complaints I've run across and lacking any proof to the contrary.

I tried dual wan for a while and the biggest single issue I had with it was that it would shift clients between modems even though I'd set them to remain on a specific modem. This would cause the game to drop out on me right in the middle of battle so I stopped using it. Now if my primary cable goes down I manually shift to the vdsl modem myself so I don't get swapped around.

i have same problems with dual wan, sometimes not switch to secondary wan, sometimes not back from secondary to primary etc. This function is unrealible for now.

There has been so many postings about Dual WAN not working, they all have just been ignored and now you come and say no complaints at all, really have to laugh a lot about your postings!

Very very few want to use it or ever tried it and first they would need dual access to be able to.
And those who did - gave up!
Thats why you cant currently read about.

Last edited:
There has been so many postings about Dual WAN not working, they all have just been ignored and now you come and say no complaints at all, really have to laugh a lot about your postings!

Very very few want to use it or ever tried it and first they would need dual access to be able to.
And those who did gave up!
Thats why you cant currently read about.

Okay, I'll ask again. Please re-read my posts above and try to provide answers to the questions I've already posted. The OP certainly did not.

I don't see why you want to laugh a lot about my posts? I'm trying to gather information about this issue in hopes of helping, if possible. Yet, the replies have been less than forthcoming.

I can't make up facts about what I've read or haven't read. The posts that I remember for anything remotely about this issue is that they were eventually resolved. Or, did you want to me join in the 'rah-rah Asus is bad' chant just to be part of the cool kids here?

I asked for the links to posts on Asus' forums where it was stated that Dual WAN was broken. Not provided. I asked for details of how the router was set up and if any other configurations were done to test if any part of Dual WAN worked. Not provided. I offered a way to test systematically the Dual WAN capabilities. Ignored.

I am not so quick to believe that Dual WAN users, even as small a group as they probably are, simply tried and gave up. And, now we can't even read about those experiences?

I'm still open to having a discussion about this issue. But it seems like the other side has already made their minds up on it (and Asus too). :rolleyes:

Thank you for the links. I was absent for a while longer than I thought from the forums here. ;)

I guess I was remembering the 380.xx firmware versions which people had so much success with.

Possibly with the latest routers (just recently, the RT-AC86U) getting up-to-date on the firmware fixes out for a while already on other current routers, Asus will have more time to devote to this issue?

Most of those are 'old posts' to me. No way I would have known about them in 2019. :)

Even without answering all my questions above, it seems like this just isn't working for you in your specific setup.

Still not a case of Asus ignoring or avoiding attention though.

Some are happy with the Dual WAN features as is. And, I would think that 'some' here must be the majority, considering how few complaints I've run across and lacking any proof to the contrary.

People were answering your questions fully you just weren't listening.

Also dual wan has never worked including the 380 firmware with Merlin himself stating dual wan is a flaky mess.

It should run the test to confirm the modem is not longer connected to the internet and fall over to the secondary internet connection.
It does this some of the time and not others regardless of connection or not which is the first problem.

The second problem is that its testing on the connection confuses a physical connection to the modem itself as a affirmative response to its internet connection testing regardless of dns or ping being used and falls back over to the unconnected modem.

In all likely hood they did there testing by physically disconnecting the cable from the modem which does get the correct response but is not how it works in the real world or how it was intended to work.

People were answering your questions fully you just weren't listening.

Also dual wan has never worked including the 380 firmware with Merlin himself stating dual wan is a flaky mess.

It should run the test to confirm the modem is not longer connected to the internet and fall over to the secondary internet connection.
It does this some of the time and not others regardless of connection or not which is the first problem.

The second problem is that its testing on the connection confuses a physical connection to the modem itself as a affirmative response to its internet connection testing regardless of dns or ping being used and falls back over to the unconnected modem.

In all likely hood they did there testing by physically disconnecting the cable from the modem which does get the correct response but is not how it works in the real world or how it was intended to work.

Please see my post above yours. Not a case of not listening, I was trying to find a way to help, if possible. ;)

And many of the questions I've asked are still left unanswered here. :rolleyes:

Please see my post above yours. Not a case of not listening, I was trying to find a way to help, if possible. ;)

And many of the questions I've asked are still left unanswered here. :rolleyes:

People stopped answering you because you weren't listening.

At any point you wanted the answers handed to on a plate instead of doing a simple search.
Doing the homework before making a statement tends to be a very good idea or you look quite foolish.

Then to make it worse you typed many of my questions haven't been answered .

Seriously they been asked and answered all over the place in the forums but you didn't bother to look.

You got more then enough posts to know how the search function works and to look for answers.
Your not a newb you know better then that.

If its a new undiscussed topic then asking for proof of something is fine but when its been heavily discussed one repeatedly asking is bad behavior and frowned upon in forums.

Next time don't be lazy use the search function like everyone else.

oh dear. wish i'd seen this post before i splashed on a new Asus RT-68U which arrived and is C1 so i can't even flash to fresh tomato :(

i've been trying to run load balancing and it half-works... but every now and then for no apparent reason, TLS handshakes stop working and its useless... when it's working the throughput speeds for speedtest are amazing tho.

I use Dual Wan with Failback at a Merlin RT AC86U

Certain restrictions apply according to https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1037368/

1. Note Supported New Firmware: FW version after 3.0.0.4 384. 40000

2. Supported models: RT-AC88U,RT-AC1900P, GT-AC5300, RT-AC3100, RT-AX88U

3. Triggers have Min and Max values

If I look at these limitations, I would guess that my preferred scenario will not work: 15 (3x5sec) seconds fail -> 300( 60x5sec) seconds failback period. So, for the moment I use 5, 5, 20 and ping 1.1.1.1 and it looks like it works somehow, even if I don't have a supported router.

I left a comment at the quoted link asking Asus to update the router list.

Last edited:
RT-AC86U and dual-WAN with failback work correctly under the following conditions using firmware 3.0.0.4.384_81049 after a full factory reset:

Detect Interval 5
Failover Trigger Condition 5
Failback Trigger Condition 20

At the WAN(0) device* a script physically shut down the Ethernet port connected to the Asus router if the WAN connection at the WAN(0) device* fails or is not reliable.

After the WAN/Internet-connection at the WAN(0) device* is restored and reliable, the Ethernet port to the Asus router is re-enabled and powered up.

The WAN(1) device is a plain vanilla 4G-AC55U.

* The WAN(0) device is a laptop. Not a modem or other type of CPE. The laptop is connected with one interface to the CPE (from the ISP) and a second interface is connected as the WAN(0) interface to the Asus router

At test with Failback Trigger Condition 99 failed. Looks like the restrictions from the document https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1037368/ are valid.

Last edited:
Okay, I'll ask again. Please re-read my posts above and try to provide answers to the questions I've already posted. The OP certainly did not.

I don't see why you want to laugh a lot about my posts? I'm trying to gather information about this issue in hopes of helping, if possible. Yet, the replies have been less than forthcoming.

I can't make up facts about what I've read or haven't read. The posts that I remember for anything remotely about this issue is that they were eventually resolved. Or, did you want to me join in the 'rah-rah Asus is bad' chant just to be part of the cool kids here?

I asked for the links to posts on Asus' forums where it was stated that Dual WAN was broken. Not provided. I asked for details of how the router was set up and if any other configurations were done to test if any part of Dual WAN worked. Not provided. I offered a way to test systematically the Dual WAN capabilities. Ignored.

I am not so quick to believe that Dual WAN users, even as small a group as they probably are, simply tried and gave up. And, now we can't even read about those experiences?

I'm still open to having a discussion about this issue. But it seems like the other side has already made their minds up on it (and Asus too). :rolleyes:
I have just tried the dual WAN feature on the 4G-AC53U which I got specifically for this feature and after 1 week of trying different settings and messing around I am also about to give up. The routing on the thing is horrid, my ultimate goal is to have it set to load balance so I can route the traffic from different clients to different WAN but it simply doesn't work. It appears to work occasionally but then it just bugs out and I get super choppy connection, I have not done any packet inspection to see what is happening exactly but it's a mess. For now I am just going to use single wan and manually change the WAN interface at Night to save my mobile data. It's not what I wanted to do but only thing I can do without dropouts and choppy connections it's seems. Firmware has been updated to the latest ASUS firmware.

3.0.0.4.384_81975

If you do have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!