What's new

Asus fanboy: need upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am tempted by the RP, if nothing else as a another toy to play with and to have a mesh node showing on the ax86u, for me it's only really for my son who is in the furthest room and would only need it for a google speaker, a phone and a hue bulb. (which all work anyway but at a weak signal)

I was concerned some devices I don't want to connect to it would try and connect to it, but I think these can be locked out in the settings with Roaming Block List.

Last edited:
I was wondering whether RMerlin will release his fw for the RP-AX56, in case it optimizes that further ?

No chance for this device and Asuswrt-Merlin firmware doesn't optimize anything around Wi-Fi or AiMesh.

By removing as many bugs as possible and making basic functions work as they should, everything else is also optimized by RMerlin firmware, even WiFi and AiMesh.

While the improvements may be small for an AP/repeater, they will still be there.

I am tempted by the RP, if nothing else as a another toy to play with and to have a mesh node showing on the ax86u, for me it's only really for my son who is in the furthest room and would only need it for a google speaker, a phone and a hue bulb. (which all work anyway but at a weak signal)

I was concerned some devices I don't want to connect to it would try and connect to it, but I think these can be locked out in the settings with Roaming Block List.

If you read the reviews by people as comments to the review by dongknowstech dot com - many people have reported positive experiences, so long as they have had the right expectations.

While generally helpful, the problem with forum posting by various often is, many would rather post opinions and pontifications based on their personal needs, rather than verified facts - so you'd have to do your own critical thinking to evaluate your needs and expectations vs. what the purchase actually delivers, based on actual reviews.

As I said, I did just the above, and I've not been disappointed. And Merlin makes very good practical points above - as to why some people would actually prefer RP-AX56, despite various other opinions.

I wanted to report back for any interested parties:

I purchased an AX86 as the main router in the house and placed the AX88 in the garden wirelessly and am delighted with the amazing signal. You get what you pay for, I suppose!