What's new

asus gt-ax11000 pro not routing correctly

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lgkahn

Occasional Visitor
I have a strange setup where i have an upstream router with my own public subnet..
I reservfe one of the public ips for my main wifi router..
it is working fine with older gt-5300 running dd-wrt

when i try to configure the repladement my new ax11000 pro it is not routing correctly
i want to use the 2.5g port for my wan and the 10g for the lan as i have 10g internal internet and nas's on that net

i believe the problem stems from the new router getting confused and trying to send some packets destined for the extranet/wan (public ips out the lan 10g port)
it works fine with continual pings when i only have the 2.5g port plugged in..

as soon as I plug in the 10g port.. i get intermimttant pings and about 20% packet loss.

both the 2.5 and 10g go into the same bank of switches.. but the primary public router is upstream.. it should not be trying to send or answer packets destined for the 2.5g public port out the 10g lan port
but that is what it is doing.. i tried with stp on and off no difference and the routing table looks fine as well same as for older router

Welcome to the forums @lgkahn.

A diagram may be easier to describe how your network is set up. Your post is confusing (me, at least).

nothing that complicated
upstream mikrotik router one port going to modem
other port going to switch

switches out going to wifi router and all other devices

but there are two ports going out to the wifi router from the switch
one for the wan assigned a static ip from my pool 173.x
and one with a static ip in the 192.168 block

i believe it doesnt like that thre are two routes to the wan and lan and gets confused and tries to send some intermittantly out the wrong port.. that is why i am getting ping drops and if i unplug the lan port all is fine.

both the 2.5 and 10g go into the same bank of switches..
This statement is confusing. It sounds like both the 2.5 and 10g are plugged into the same switch. This is obviously not a valid configuration unless those ports are logically separate in some way. For example, if one port was defined as a WAN VLAN and the other port a LAN VLAN.

however based on routes packets to the 173. should only be answered and go out the wan port and same for the 192.x via the lan port..
works fine with older version

so how do you handle having a network with public ips and then fork one pulic ip off into a wifi router and assign private ips via nat..
the main upstream router has to go into a switch ... and the private ips on your net also need to be able to reach the public ones.

even if i pluig the wan port into a secondary port on my main router it still doesnt work since there is another path to wan via the switches.

the router seems to feel it can be the only path to my wan, which is not correct i should be able to have multiple secondary routers and there will be other paths out to the wan. maybe this works in dd-wrt becuase there are 2 vlans and the wan is on vlan itself?

so how do you handle having a network with public ips and then fork one pulic ip off into a wifi router and assign private ips via nat..
the main upstream router has to go into a switch ... and the private ips on your net also need to be able to reach the public ones.
I can't comment on your upstream router/switch as I don't know how it's configured or what other things you're doing with it. But for the Asus you would connect only the 2.5Gb WAN to the upstream switch (or router) and all the LAN clients are NATed through the Asus. All of the Asus' LAN ports (including the 10Gb port) would be a separate network with no physical connection to the upstream router or switch.

Last edited:
The test for this one would be to bypass all the upstream stuff and see if you are still getting the problem. If you aren't then there is something incorrectly configured in the switch? Another alternative would be to temporarily use a second (cheap) switch, to physically isolate things, just to make sure.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!