What's new

Asus Imesh and IP Cameras....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EdCaffreyMS

Occasional Visitor
For a long time, my home network has been a primary (backbone) router connected via WAN port to LAN ports/ethernet of 3 other routers around the property, all in AP mode. I had unique SSIDs and channels with each of the routers for a total of 4 2.4SSIDs and 4 5.0SSIDs..... and a total of 16 wyze IP cameras in the network.

I recently had one of the routers in the system go down, and upon replacing it, I tried to setup the entire network using the same SSID, security, but different channels, kinda hoping for a "mesh" type coverage, where devices would find their own way to the strongest signal as I moved about the property....... for the most part it seems to be working well.... except now, I'm getting a lot of the wyze cameras that are always timing out/failing to start, etc (I use Bluestacks and TinyCam Pro on PC/monitor to view the wyze cams.) I am wondering if that is due to creating that single SSID throughout the network??

So... all that to get to this..... I have a new Asus RT-AX86U arriving today.....which will become the backbone of my network. And, I have 3 Asus RT-AC68U routers, currently setup with DD-WRT firmware) that I was intending to use as "nodes" for an Imesh system...... (was going to revert the routers from DD-WRT back to Asus/Merlin firmware for the Imesh feature).

Having the IP cams operate well is a top priority. Would creating/using an Imesh network improve the IP camera functioning, or should I go back to a unique SSID for each router for the sake of the IP cameras?

Many thanks for any info you can provide!

For a long time, my home network has been a primary (backbone) router connected via WAN port to LAN ports/ethernet of 3 other routers around the property, all in AP mode. I had unique SSIDs and channels with each of the routers for a total of 4 2.4SSIDs and 4 5.0SSIDs..... and a total of 16 wyze IP cameras in the network.

I recently had one of the routers in the system go down, and upon replacing it, I tried to setup the entire network using the same SSID, security, but different channels, kinda hoping for a "mesh" type coverage, where devices would find their own way to the strongest signal as I moved about the property....... for the most part it seems to be working well.... except now, I'm getting a lot of the wyze cameras that are always timing out/failing to start, etc (I use Bluestacks and TinyCam Pro on PC/monitor to view the wyze cams.) I am wondering if that is due to creating that single SSID throughout the network??

So... all that to get to this..... I have a new Asus RT-AX86U arriving today.....which will become the backbone of my network. And, I have 3 Asus RT-AC68U routers, currently setup with DD-WRT firmware) that I was intending to use as "nodes" for an Imesh system...... (was going to revert the routers from DD-WRT back to Asus/Merlin firmware for the Imesh feature).

Having the IP cams operate well is a top priority. Would creating/using an Imesh network improve the IP camera functioning, or should I go back to a unique SSID for each router for the sake of the IP cameras?

Many thanks for any info you can provide!

I think you'll just have to try it with your equipment... should work. Don't add more nodes than you need.

OE

Thank you!! UPS just dropped off the new AX86.... so will start revamping the network this afternoon and see who it goes. I'll report back.... whichever way it goes.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online