What's new

Asus locking down routers to comply with new FCC rules

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Please cite your reference that says this.
Well every range extender that I have looked at has a rating of 700mw output power. In this thread and others have stated that output power is limited to 80mw in routers. I am assuming that extenders are permitted to run 700mw other wise there would be a stink about it. Seems to me if routers are limited to 80mw , then the extenders should be as well.

Last edited:
Please cite your reference that says this.
I really doubted this so I put "wireless range extender mW" into Google and top of the list was:

Netgear AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
802.11ac, 700mW, Dual Band, Gigabit, Desktop, External Antennas
700 mW high-power amplifiers & high-gain
5dBi antennas for maximum WiFi coverage
:eek:
Interestingly it also states:
ATTENTION: Due to EU law, the country settings must be identical to the country where the device is operating (important due to non-harmonised frequencies in the EU).

For indoor use only. Valid for sale in all EU member states, EFTA states, and Switzerland.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/EX6200.pdf

Last edited:
maybe its the extenders that cause the issues in airports? 700mw almost 10x the power.

Netgear AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
802.11ac, 700mW, Dual Band, Gigabit, Desktop, External Antennas

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/EX6200.pdf
Actually, thinking about this a bit more, it does make sense if you cut through the marketing spiel.

It says "700 mW high-power amplifiers" so I'd guess that's the maximum output spec of the chips.

As this is a recent product, the datasheet was published this year and it is at pains to point out that it complies with EU law I think we can assume the following:

That the software probably modifies the output based on;
1) Some localised region setting within the router
2) The frequency being used
3) Antenna gain and cable loss

So (as Flying Dutchman said) after compensating for antenna gain and cable loss you end up with:

2400-2483.5 MHz, maximum e.i.r.p. of <= 100 mW
5150-5350 MHz, maximum e.i.r.p. of <= 200 mW
5470-5725 MHz, maximum e.i.r.p. of <= 1000 mW

So the major difference here (as I understand it) is that whereas ASUS is taking a "lowest common denominator across the world" approach to power output, Netgear are localising their product not just by region or band (2.4GHz/5GHz) but also sub-bands within 5GHz.

This allows their marketing people to shout "700mW!" even though that's only achievable if you use channels in the upper part of 5GHz.

Still, I think it's clear who's product EU customers should be buying from now on. ;)

Last edited:
Actually, thinking about this a bit more, it does make sense if you cut through the marketing spiel.

It says "700 mW high-power amplifiers" so I'd guess that's the maximum output spec of the chips.

As this is a recent product, the datasheet was published this year and it is at pains to point out that it complies with EU law I think we can assume the following:

That the software probably modifies the output based on;
1) Some localised region setting within the router
2) The frequency being used
3) Antenna gain and cable loss

So (as Flying Dutchman said) after compensating for antenna gain and cable loss you end up with:

2400-2483.5 MHz, maximum e.i.r.p. of <= 100 mW
5150-5350 MHz, maximum e.i.r.p. of <= 200 mW
5470-5725 MHz, maximum e.i.r.p. of <= 1000 mW

So the major difference here (as I understand it) is that whereas ASUS is taking a "lowest common denominator across the world" approach to power output, Netgear are localising their product not just by region or band (2.4GHz/5GHz) but also sub-bands within 5GHz.

This allows their marketing people to shout "700mW!" even though that's only available in the upper part of 5GHz.

Still, I think it's clear who's product EU customers should be buying from now on. ;)

That explanation makes sense. Its just some marketing BS.

now we know why we were smart to never dump our WRT54G's and just stuck them in the back of the closet...

now we know why we were smart to never dump our WRT54G's and just stuck them in the back of the closet...

No gigabit ports.

I guess you could still use it if your internet speed is below 100Mbps otherwise you would be slowing yourself down.

Interesting - looking at an older 802.11ac Wave 1 AP (Pre-FCC relaxed rules)

• 30 dBm = 1,000 mw
  • 24 dBm = 250 mw
  • 17 dBm = 50 mw

This AP actually reports power constraints and TPC levels as well - in this case TPC is reported as 25 dBm (316 mw)

Code:
2.4GHz Band - CH6

Channels [1 - 11] @ 30 dBm
    Power constraint: 0 dB
    TPC report: TX power: 25 dBm

5GHz Band - CH149

Channels [36 - 36] @ 17 dBm
        Channels [40 - 40] @ 17 dBm
        Channels [44 - 44] @ 17 dBm
        Channels [48 - 48] @ 17 dBm
        Channels [52 - 52] @ 24 dBm
        Channels [56 - 56] @ 24 dBm