What's new

Asus-Merlin firmware support tftp server?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

newnews

Regular Contributor
Hello all,

I got TM-AC1900 version 3.0.0.4.376_3002. I am going to flash either DD-WRT or Merlin, I would like to know if Merlin firmware can do the following:
1. Can PPTP Server and OPENVPN Server work simultaneously?
2. Is possible to setup the router as tftp server(PXE-Boot option)?

I know DD-WRT firmware can do, but I prefer to use ASUS-like firmware first.

Thank you.

Hello all,

I got TM-AC1900 version 3.0.0.4.376_3002. I am going to flash either DD-WRT or Merlin, I would like to know if Merlin firmware can do the following:
1. Can PPTP Server and OPENVPN Server work simultaneously?
2. Is possible to setup the router as tftp server(PXE-Boot option)?

I know DD-WRT firmware can do, but I prefer to use ASUS-like firmware first.

Thank you.

1. Yes...although PPTP server is no longer considered a secure protocol.
2. Yes...never personally used it but dnsmasq does allow tftp to be used (Search forum for working example)

1. Yes...although PPTP server is no longer considered a secure protocol.
2. Yes...never personally used it but dnsmasq does allow tftp to be used (Search forum for working example)

Great! Thanks.
Another question: Can I export existing router settings and then import to Merlin firmware after flashing, or I must configure the router manually?

The TM-AC1900 native firmware has some special settings that are different from the regular RT-AC68 firmware, so a factory default reset + manual reconfiguration is strongly recommended. Plus, you are coming from a much older firmware of the 376 series.

The TM-AC1900 native firmware has some special settings that are different from the regular RT-AC68 firmware, so a factory default reset + manual reconfiguration is strongly recommended. Plus, you are coming from a much older firmware of the 376 series.
Thanks!

Hey, I have the 3.0.0.4.376_3002 as well and I want to switch to merlin, but saw forums of users having difficulty with it. Have you had luck flashing? Thanks!

Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that. If you don't mind my asking, did you update the MAC addresses and WPS code in the new CFE before flashing? I was going to follow this guide, but if you bricked it doing the same thing I may just stick with the TMob firmware. Guide: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=73690012&postcount=3895
Thanks again and sorry to hear about your router.

Yes, I did modify 3 MAC addresses and WPS code, but maybe it is my mistake which screwed up the CFE.

Edit: Ok, I had successfully flashed on another TM-AC1900 router to Merlion software.

Last edited:
Hello Rmerlin:

I flashed Merlin firmware 3.0.0.4_376.47_0, can I flash the latest version directly or I have to flash another build first? Someone was talking about rootfs size changes between 376 and 378, but I could not find the post now.

Also, Where to put additional Dnsmasq? I could not find it in Router configuration page.

I configured 50 Static IP for my network devices, if I update the firmware with factory reset, how can I export the list and import to new version? Re-entering 50 lines every time is painful job.

Hello Rmerlin:

I flashed Merlin firmware 3.0.0.4_376.47_0, can I flash the latest version directly or I have to flash another build first? Someone was talking about rootfs size changes between 376 and 378, but I could not find the post now.

Also, Where to put additional Dnsmasq? I could not find it in Router configuration page.

I configured 50 Static IP for my network devices, if I update the firmware with factory reset, how can I export the list and import to new version? Re-entering 50 lines every time is painful job.

A.2 See Custom Configuration Files section:

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki

A.3 You can write a script.....and as an additional bonus you can then 'sort' the DHCP GUI entries into the order which you find most useful!..alphabetical, I/P address, device type etc.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/fe...hcp-hostnames-from-the-gui.25075/#post-186928

or take a look at John9527's excellent NVRAM save/restore scripts

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/fe...hcp-hostnames-from-the-gui.25075/#post-186929

A.2 See Custom Configuration Files section:

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki

I updated to latest Merlin firmware and use John9527's scripts to restore the settings successfully. I am setting up TFTP server now but I faced some problem. I want to use router as tftp server and the files are stored in the USB drive attached to the router. I created dnsmasq.postconf script with content below:

#!/bin/sh
dhcp-boot=pxelinux.0,,192.168.10.1

192.168.10.1 is the router own address. Now I do not know how to enable tftpd on the router, is tftpd built-in inside the firmware?

Another question is samba share. I attached USB drive with name PXE and I created two sub-directory "backup" and "pxeboot". If I select "yes" to "use simpler share naming", I am able to map it from Windows 7 by mapping \\192.168.10.1\backup or \\192.168.10.1\pxeboot, but I could not map to USB root directory. If I select "no" to "use simpler share naming", whatever I tried to map, it fails always, e.g. I tried \\192.168.10.1\PXE, \\192.168.10.1\PXE\backup or \\192.168.10.1\backup, none of them works.
What is proper way to map the root directory of USB drive?

I updated to latest Merlin firmware and use John9527's scripts to restore the settings successfully. I am setting up TFTP server now but I faced some problem. I want to use router as tftp server and the files are stored in the USB drive attached to the router. I created dnsmasq.postconf script with content below:

#!/bin/sh
dhcp-boot=pxelinux.0,,192.168.10.1

192.168.10.1 is the router own address. Now I do not know how to enable tftpd on the router, is tftpd built-in inside the firmware?

Another question is samba share. I attached USB drive with name PXE and I created two sub-directory "backup" and "pxeboot". If I select "yes" to "use simpler share naming", I am able to map it from Windows 7 by mapping \\192.168.10.1\backup or \\192.168.10.1\pxeboot, but I could not map to USB root directory. If I select "no" to "use simpler share naming", whatever I tried to map, it fails always, e.g. I tried \\192.168.10.1\PXE, \\192.168.10.1\PXE\backup or \\192.168.10.1\backup, none of them works.

As have never needed TFTP functionality, my original advice was to use the Search function for similar previous discussions in this forum.

e.g. This thread appears to explicitly specify the enable-tftp directive in the custom dnsmasq configuration:

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/do...-multiple-dns-server-on-dhcp.8802/#post-57524 ?

wonder if that is what may make TFTP work? :rolleyes:

P.S. For your customisation requirements, it may be better (more logical) to use dnsmasq.conf.add rather than dnsmasq.postconf.

Last edited:

You can't, unless you modify the smb.conf config file. This is the same as with any NAS BTW - the root of a disk isn't shared, as that would make it difficult to handle multiple shares at the permission level.

As have never needed TFTP functionality, my original advice was to use the Search function for similar previous discussions in this forum.

e.g. This thread appears to explicitly specify the enable-tftp directive in the custom dnsmasq configuration:

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/do...-multiple-dns-server-on-dhcp.8802/#post-57524 ?

wonder if that is what may make TFTP work? :rolleyes:

P.S. For your customisation requirements, it may be better (more logical) to use dnsmasq.conf.add rather than dnsmasq.postconf.

I made tftp server work if I set "tftp-root=/jffs/pxe" in dnsmasq.conf.add and put all my files into /jffs/pxe. However, if I set "tftp-root=/tmp/mnt/USB3/pxe" and place all files there, the tftp server fails to start and also screw up DNS on LAN.

I have to use USB storage because the winpe.wim file is too big for the router internal memory. Please advice. Thanks

You can't, unless you modify the smb.conf config file. This is the same as with any NAS BTW - the root of a disk isn't shared, as that would make it difficult to handle multiple shares at the permission level.

I really want to share entire USB drive. In dd-wrt, it can be shared easily. How to edit the smb.conf file? I looked through the content of this file but I could not figure out what to change.

I really want to share entire USB drive. In dd-wrt, it can be shared easily. How to edit the smb.conf file? I looked through the content of this file but I could not figure out what to change.

You will have to read up the Samba documentation for that. But basically just look at one of the share it has configured for your sub-folders, and create a new one based on it, changing its name and its location to point at the root of your disk.

For instructions on how to customize a config file, see the Wiki.

I made tftp server work if I set "tftp-root=/jffs/pxe" in dnsmasq.conf.add and put all my files into /jffs/pxe. However, if I set "tftp-root=/tmp/mnt/USB3/pxe" and place all files there, the tftp server fails to start and also screw up DNS on LAN.

I have to use USB storage because the winpe.wim file is too big for the router internal memory. Please advice. Thanks

At boot, router attached USB drives are not mounted instantly; you will need to create a post-mount script.

You may be able to simply create a symbolic link for /jffs/pxe --> /tmp/mnt/USB3/pxe or simply use the same pc_replace technique (as used in dnsmasq.postconf) to physically edit the dnsmasq.conf line or simply overwrite dnsmasq.conf with a static copy you have prepared earlier e.g. /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf_USBFTP.

For your selected solution you will need to also the following command to enable the new configuration to be used:

Code:
service   restart_dnsmasq

At boot, router attached USB drives are not mounted instantly; you will need to create a post-mount script.

You may be able to simply create a symbolic link for /jffs/pxe --> /tmp/mnt/USB3/pxe or simply use the same pc_replace technique (as used in dnsmasq.postconf) to physically edit the dnsmasq.conf line or simply overwrite dnsmasq.conf with a static copy you have prepared earlier e.g. /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf_USBFTP.

For your selected solution you will need to also the following command to enable the new configuration to be used:

Code:
service   restart_dnsmasq

Understand that USB mount is later than dnsmasq, but if I restart the dnsmasq service after USB is mounted, the tftp server should work properly right? But it still does not work after I restart the dnsmasq service.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!