What's new

Asus-Merlin FW vs Tomato or DD-WRT for RT-AC66 or RTAC68 Routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I was able to get 940 Mbps up/down on my 68U with CTF enabled. With no NAT acceleration I could get 380 down and 440 up. Note that my 68U is a B1 revision with the 1000 Mhz cpu.

Interesting.
Do you achieve the same 940Mbps up/down if you connect the ethernet cable from the ONT directly to your computer?
I am trying to understand if this 940Mbps is the max of the router with NAT accelerated or this is the max you get from your ISP.
Now I have the version with the 800Mhz so as far as with no NAT acceleration I would have achieved something less than 380/440 and if
someone has the Bestbuy version 1900P which is 1.4G processor I guess the NAT routing without acceleration would be 600Mbit maybe 700Mbit
but way lower from a typical gigabit connection.

doczenith1
It would be good if you can give us more results since you have the router and the gigabit connection.
I would propose the following
Check what the NAT is accelerated with FA together in the Switch Control

a) Disable QoS, Firewall and any parental option. In this case we have the 940Mbps that you have always done that.
b) Enable only QoS but automatic QoS. In this case you should have the CTF enabled only (not FA). I suspect you should still have 940Mbps.
c) Enable only QoS but manual and add couple of rules. IP based priority etc. I suspect here NAT accelerated is gone
d) Enable QoS automatic and Firewall (3-4 rules). (CPU processing here)
e) Enable QoS manual and Firewall (3-4 rules)
f) Enable QoS manual, Firewall and any other packet proccessing i.e Parental protection. I guess here it should be the lowest processing.
Any other combination that you might think of.
It would be nice to have 2-3 speedtests each time.

At least after these test we will get a better picture about the NAT processing in Gigabit connections.

PS. Can you overclock the processor i.e to 1200Mhz or 1400Mhz

Last edited:
I've done quite a bit of testing on both a 68U @ 1000 Mhz and also a 3100 @ 1400 Mhz (1900P results should be similar to the 3100 I would think). Both routers do 940-950 Mbps with CTF. 68U uses 100% of core 1, 3100 uses 98%. Both with only AiProtection on and CTF enabled. With NAT acceleration turned off the 68U does 380 down, 440 up and the 3100 does 520 down, 610 up based on multiple tests. The 68U with CTF and FA does the 945ish speeds but with negligible cpu usage. I have not tried a test with the computer connected directly to the ONT but my ISP advertised speeds are 1000 Mbps and with the 3100 only at 98% I don't think the router is limiting speeds. I've actually saw speeds in excess of 1000 Mbps (1211 up) on the DSLReports speedtest. No idea how that happened on a 1000BASE-T network. Hope that answers most of your questions. I am not interested in overclocking my 68U if even only for testing.

I've done quite a bit of testing on both a 68U @ 1000 Mhz and also a 3100 @ 1400 Mhz (1900P results should be similar to the 3100 I would think). Both routers do 940-950 Mbps with CTF. 68U uses 100% of core 1, 3100 uses 98%. Both with only AiProtection on and CTF enabled. With NAT acceleration turned off the 68U does 380 down, 440 up and the 3100 does 520 down, 610 up based on multiple tests. The 68U with CTF and FA does the 945ish speeds but with negligible cpu usage. I have not tried a test with the computer connected directly to the ONT but my ISP advertised speeds are 1000 Mbps and with the 3100 only at 98% I don't think the router is limiting speeds. I've actually saw speeds in excess of 1000 Mbps (1211 up) on the DSLReports speedtest. No idea how that happened on a 1000BASE-T network. Hope that answers most of your questions. I am not interested in overclocking my 68U if even only for testing.

These are really good results. For first time someone is reporting the actual routing performance of the 68U/3100 router in a gigabit environment.
Now in general the routers are usable in a gigabit connection only if CTF is enabled. We can have a limited QoS as long as the CTF remains enabled. If we want to activate AIprotection/Firewall and other features that the router need to check the packets
then we have to forget the CTF and the gigabit performance and go to 400-600Mbits performance.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!