What's new

Asus Merlin + IFTTT via Webhooks (home automation)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

copires

New Around Here
Hey guys, sorry for my bad english. I bought an AC86U router and there is no support for home automation, especially Amazon and Google assistant.

Afortunately, I found a way to integrate my router with IFTTT via webhooks using a script (WGET and others usual linux commands).

I need to create a trigger to disable my security camera's motion notifications when I'm at home. As an event for this, I thought when I approach the house and my smartphone connects to the wifi network.

The question is: within asus merlin, what can I use as a monitor capable of identifying and notifying my script about an IP gain or a successful wifi connection from a certain device (MAC address, IP, etc.)?

Thans in advance.

DNSMASQ can run a script when devices get, renew or release a DHCP lease.

This would require Merlin firmware, or some kind of hooks in the stock firmware that atleast were managing your /etc/dnsmasq.conf file.
I don't know what, if anything, gets fed to the script you'd create. But this seems to fit in with what you are wanting to do..

Last edited:
I know this thread is a little old and very ignored but I would love to have IFTTT support (with Alexia, google assist support) too. For example, I would love to make it easier for me to toggle the VPN client connection on and off.

Does it specifically need to be IFTTT/Alexa/Google Assistant to the router? I must admit, the need to enable remote admin from anywhere put me off that one.

Home Assistant has some pretty good integrations (including a level of integration to the ASUS router) and makes it simple to tag devices to people and trigger automations. For example, turning on a VPN server when you leave the house then turning it off again when you get home. Or activating guest wifi setting a new password at that point, with push notifications to trusted phones of said new password, so you can enforce time limited access to the internet.

There are some How Tos kicking around on hooking HA in to Alexa or Google Assistant so you could use that as a hook for changes to the router. I haven't looked too closely at those yet to understand the level of security exposure the unprotected port forwarding to HA would give though.

Ultimately depends where you want to introduce the security risk I guess - IFTTT over the internet to router or HA over LAN to the router.

Does it specifically need to be IFTTT/Alexa/Google Assistant to the router? I must admit, the need to enable remote admin from anywhere put me off that one.

Home Assistant has some pretty good integrations (including a level of integration to the ASUS router) and makes it simple to tag devices to people and trigger automations. For example, turning on a VPN server when you leave the house then turning it off again when you get home. Or activating guest wifi setting a new password at that point, with push notifications to trusted phones of said new password, so you can enforce time limited access to the internet.

There are some How Tos kicking around on hooking HA in to Alexa or Google Assistant so you could use that as a hook for changes to the router. I haven't looked too closely at those yet to understand the level of security exposure the unprotected port forwarding to HA would give though.

Ultimately depends where you want to introduce the security risk I guess - IFTTT over the internet to router or HA over LAN to the router.
I'll take what I can get. I see my Qnap supports home assistant, so I installed the software. have any good guides?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!