What's new

Asus Merlin - Is there a development road map?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Authority

Hello - long time user. Was wondering if there's any kind of development road map for the Asus Merlin firmware? I understand that a lot of it is is response to Asus releases, but I am sure there are thing on Merlin's "to do list" but I can't find it published anywhere.

After further digging... it seems development is back on?

"a lot will change in the coming weeks once I move to updated GPL code from Asus."

But that was in fact my point; it seems unnecessary to have to dig for this information when it could be on his front page just like build numbers.

There's no public roadmap because I don't have one myself. I'm still waiting for Asus to finalize their own betatest before I can move forward and get updated code for all supported models.

There's no public roadmap because I don't have one myself. I'm still waiting for Asus to finalize their own betatest before I can move forward and get updated code for all supported models.

I understand, and I get that "when is the next release?" is really annoying. I am just suggesting if you updated your webpage with your current development status it would be much appreciated by your user base.

"Status" could be anything from "waiting for Asus" or "shooting for next month" or "paused because I have a cold". I was able to gather this from spending an hour poking around here today, bit it seems a bit unecesary when you could easily update us all with a single line on your web page. Just my two cents.

I understand, and I get that "when is the next release?" is really annoying. I am just suggesting if you updated your webpage with your current development status it would be much appreciated by your user base.

"Status" could be anything from "waiting for Asus" or "shooting for next month" or "paused because I have a cold". I was able to gather this from spending an hour poking around here today, bit it seems a bit unecesary when you could easily update us all with a single line on your web page. Just my two cents.
Just look around his dev site to get the sense of what he's up to.

this isn't really a roadmap, as @RMerlin doens't really have one himself. But you can kind of keep up with all the changes going on behind the scenes within his development cycle. by watching the commits on github and staying up on the changelog. I'm not sure there is any set cadence here, but its been my experience that there is usually new activity at least every week or two. So to say Merlin is shutting down the project pending asus pushing 386 is just not true. He's been very active to align his code with 386 when ASUS is ready on their end to move this codebase into GA.

I've already said in the past that the places to go for keeping track of development were these forums, and Github, and I occasionally post preview or announcements to Twitter. I'm not going to also start making blog posts on my website.

This is a one-man project, I don't have anyone to handle the management aspects of all of this. The new website that's currently under development will already be more informative than the old one, in addition to making my job easier for managing it. For instance the latest version table will now be dynamically generated out of a data file that my release script will automatically push to the server, saving me from having to log into the CMS backend to edit 3-4 different pages.

My goal these days is to streamline my workflow, not to increase it, sorry.

1603317305030.png

The ABSOLUTE top priority needs to be fixing the ongoing stability problem that randomly makes the GUI disappear. I have 7 routers running Asus-Merlin Ver 384.18, and most of them are having this issue every month or two. There are a lot of other people having the same issue. See this thread: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/cant-login-to-gui.64631/page-4

The ABSOLUTE top priority needs to be fixing the ongoing stability problem that randomly makes the GUI disappear. I have 7 routers running Asus-Merlin Ver 384.18, and most of them are having this issue every month or two. There are a lot of other people having the same issue. See this thread: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/cant-login-to-gui.64631/page-4

And I have never been able to reproduce it here, so there's nothing more I can do.

If neither SSH or httpd works, the most likely cause is you are running something causing your router to run out of memory, as these two services are completely unrelated.

I've already said in the past that the places to go for keeping track of development were these forums, and Github, and I occasionally post preview or announcements to Twitter. I'm not going to also start making blog posts on my website.

This is a one-man project, I don't have anyone to handle the management aspects of all of this. The new website that's currently under development will already be more informative than the old one, in addition to making my job easier for managing it. For instance the latest version table will now be dynamically generated out of a data file that my release script will automatically push to the server, saving me from having to log into the CMS backend to edit 3-4 different pages.

My goal these days is to streamline my workflow, not to increase it, sorry.

View attachment 27046
My asuswrt-merlin.net/about looks nothing like this ^

screen.jpg

what am I missing?

I prefer that look...and will wait patiently for its launch.

I prefer that look...and will wait patiently for its launch.

The plan is to launch the new website alongside 386.1.

I should be getting updated GPLs in the coming days, including the new unified AX SDKs. I will need to merge these together on my own end, at which point I will be able to evaluate the feasibility of adding new models, depending on how unified the AX SDKs now are.

The About page also got a facelift:

1603381816214.png

And I have never been able to reproduce it here, so there's nothing more I can do.

If neither SSH or httpd works, the most likely cause is you are running something causing your router to run out of memory, as these two services are completely unrelated.
I can understand that because this is so intermittent, it is a very difficult issue to diagnose. Is there any way that I can help you figure out what is going on? Is there some way we can get a diagnostic dump of the router when it gets into this state or have some detailed diagnostic traces to figure out what triggers this? This is really a very significant problem that is forcing those of us using these routers in business applications to look at alternative solutions.

Otherwise, I love your firmware. Just need to figure out a way to fix this problem.

The plan is to launch the new website alongside 386.1.

I should be getting updated GPLs in the coming days, including the new unified AX SDKs. I will need to merge these together on my own end, at which point I will be able to evaluate the feasibility of adding new models, depending on how unified the AX SDKs now are.
whatever will be, will be...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!