What's new

Asus merlin router, vpn, selective policy website routing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I went to the website and selected some menu options and generated the following domain names which hopefully will be of some help. I used the getdomainnames.sh script to get the list and deleted those that were generated from other traffic to narrow the list down. You will have to do a nslookup on the domain name to get the IP address. Hopefully, most can be grouped to a few ASN and you can use CIDR notation to achieve the desired results.
Code:
api.iview.abc.net.au
cdn.iview.abc.net.au
cdns.au1.gigya.com
e3161.e2.akamaiedge.net
e3161.g.akamaiedge.net
e8333.g.akamaiedge.net
ecn.dev.virtualearth.net
fpdownload2.macromedia.com
iview.abc.net.au
res.abc.net.au
t0.ssl.ak.dynamic.tiles.virtualearth.net
t0.ssl.ak.tiles.virtualearth.net
Since you are using an older router and firmware, my scripts won't work for you. You will have to try to find the CIDR ranges and enter in the Policy Section of the OpenVPN Client screen.
Hi @Xentrk , not to dig up an old thread... but I am interested in your script; I am running a RT-AC86U and here is my situation.

I am in the US; I've never had a need to VPN elsewhere to watch a TV show until now; I cannot handle Bluey Season 1 on Disney+ again, so trying to watch Season 2. I can accomplish this by setting up VPN Client to Sidney via Namecheap's service and then Chromecasting the tab to my TV. What I don't want to do is have my personal laptop VPNed constantly to AUS.

The iview domains mentioned above are the ONLY domains I would like on my network to ever use the VPN. After reading this thread, it looks like it's possible with patience to do it by hand, but your script sounds like the solution I am looking for.

I looked through your github page but wanted to formally ask how I would accomplish this; I really don't want to mess up my current network situation just for Bluey Season 2 :)

Is there a simple way using your selective routing scripts to JUST have those domains go over VPN instead of my whole laptop? And will all devices in the house go upstream via VPN when connecting to those domains instead of having to use my laptop? Thanks in advance!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!