What's new

ASUS Mesh node vs Non ASUS Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

esfu

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I have the following current configuration

1. ASUS RT-AX92U as Main Router (connected to ISP router in double NAT mode)
  2. ASUS RT-AX92U Mesh node connected via wired backhaul.
  3. ASUS RT-ACRH13 (no mesh feature) connected as normal access point via wired connection.
  4. TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 with Kibosh Gargoyle OS as normal access point via wired connection.
With the above configuration, I can see and control each and every device connected to my network as the ASUS RT-AX92U is acting as the main router.

The only downside of above configuration I can feel is that since Gargoyle on TP-Link or ASUS RT-ACRH13 are not configured as mesh nodes but as normal access points, the WiFi connection drops and reconnects for a few seconds when moving outside from range of TP-Link or ASUS RT-ACRH13.

If I want to add additional access points (or in future replace one of the non mesh nodes acting as access points), are there any extra benefits of purchasing an economical but new ASUS router and configure it as additional mesh node vis a vis using a spare but more powerful NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 R8000 router available with me as access point.

Thanks and Regards,

esfu

No, you just need to check if your AP supports 802.11v and 802.11k, Asus routers support them, if your node/AP also supports it will be able to roam very quickly.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!