What's new

Asus moving some devices to EOL while issues still remain

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It's officially Game Over for you, @heywire. The hope for software fix is gone. Decide who you want to blame next.

Let people with good working RT-AC86U routers and other compatible with 386 firmware models continue discussing upcoming Asuswrt-Merlin 386.13 firmware, please. Otherwise this thread will be locked for mostly off-topic content and initial feedback will be limited for no reason. This is not helping the community in any way.

Thank you!

10+ years of support, and this is a 'hasty planned obsolescence'? I think you have your thinking cap on your ask.

You don't know if it is going to be the last to be released GPL. That is only what is known now. It was a high-end option until the RT-AX68U was introduced/available. Then it was obsolete. Today, both those models are obsolete. And that was over 3 1/2 years ago.

It's officially Game Over for you, @heywire. The hope for software fix is gone. Decide who you want to blame next.
Why should I blame anyone else next? And what happened to the claims of hardware failure?

What about the reference to the solution you claimed to have given me for the software/hardware problems in your last post, where is the reference for that?!

Let people with good working RT-AC86U routers and other compatible with 386 firmware models continue discussing upcoming Asuswrt-Merlin 386.13 firmware, please. Otherwise this thread will be locked for mostly off-topic content and initial feedback will be limited for no reason. This is not helping the community in any way.

Thank you!
Don't blame me for continuing the conversation you engaged in just as another attempt at derailing because you wrote out checks that you can't cash. As if you are some kind of official spokesman, hall of famer and referee btw. Get bent.

Last edited:
10+ years of support, and this is a 'hasty planned obsolescence'? I think you have your thinking cap on your ask.

You don't know if it is going to be the last to be released GPL. That is only what is known now. It was a high-end option until the RT-AX68U was introduced/available. Then it was obsolete. Today, both those models are obsolete. And that was over 3 1/2 years ago.

It seems like you didn't actually read my whole post. So please carefully read it again.

Wow, even the RT-AX68U is EOL now. Admittedly I haven't been impressed by the one I got, as the first one had nothing but issues and Asus replaced it for me after I handed it in at one of their service centres, but I got a brand new boxed replacement less than a year and a half ago.
Asus really makes too many different SKUs and clearly don't care about supporting many of them even for a resonable period if time. The RT-AX68U was only approved by the FCC in August 2020, so it's not even an old model as such, even though it is based on older hardware.

So, a (almost) four-year-old model. With support until the very end. Not good enough?

Have you seen what other manufacturers do?

Sigh.

Wow, even the RT-AX68U is EOL now
During the pandemic, when some components had suply issues, Asus released a few weird SKUs in that market segment. The RT-AC68U_V4 was another one of these, it was basically a cut down version of the RT-AC86U. It was EOL within around 3 years, which was a shame because I thought that for its price, it was really nice hardware. The RT-AX56U has also been EOL for a while already, and had a fairly short life cycle.

The fact that we got RT-AX53U, RT-AX55U, RT-AX56U (two versions I believe?), RT-AX58U (two versions), RT-AX59U and RT-AX3000 seem weird to me. Hard to believe that a model that's 10$ cheaper would make the difference between a sold product and a lost customer, and justify the development of a separate SKU.

The problem is made bigger than it actually is because Asus is looking bad when compared with... themselves. What is par for the course in terms of support for the vast majority of the competition in the same market segment is the exception with Asus's select SKUs where it happens. People expect that if the RT-AC68U could get 10 years of support, then any other Asus model that gets "only four years" is an international diplomatic incident worthy of a forum bloodbath.

It isn't.

People should appreciate that at least, Asus is making it official, rather than just silently stopping the release of firmware updates, leaving people to wonder.

People should instead be outraged at their $1000 smart TV that stops getting software updates after three years, or their $1000 Android phone that stops getting updates after two years. These are far more annoying than a $150 router losing support after four years.

In an ideal world, Broadcom and Qualcomm would actually start trying to cooperate with the OSS community, and provide open source drivers to the community, so that projects like OpenWRT can cover for manufacturers who eventually drop the ball on a perfectly functional piece of hardware.

These SoC manufacturers are the real source of the problem here.

People should instead be outraged at their $1000 smart TV that stops getting software updates after three years, or their $1000 Android phone that stops getting updates after two years. These are far more annoying than a $150 router losing support after four years.

I'd probably tweak that to "their $1000 Android phone that stops getting updates after two years and is the much bigger security risk because of the amount of c**p they load on to it".

I also wonder, of the number of complaints about short Asus support, how many are also considering the modems. Not sure about other countries but the age of some of the modems (or modem/routers) in use in the UK is shocking considering part of the monthly ISP fee is a managed/maintained modem/router.

During the pandemic, when some components had suply issues, Asus released a few weird SKUs in that market segment. The RT-AC68U_V4 was another one of these, it was basically a cut down version of the RT-AC86U. It was EOL within around 3 years, which was a shame because I thought that for its price, it was really nice hardware. The RT-AX56U has also been EOL for a while already, and had a fairly short life cycle.

The fact that we got RT-AX53U, RT-AX55U, RT-AX56U (two versions I believe?), RT-AX58U (two versions), RT-AX59U and RT-AX3000 seem weird to me. Hard to believe that a model that's 10$ cheaper would make the difference between a sold product and a lost customer, and justify the development of a separate SKU.

The problem is made bigger than it actually is because Asus is looking bad when compared with... themselves. What is par for the course in terms of support for the vast majority of the competition in the same market segment is the exception with Asus's select SKUs where it happens. People expect that if the RT-AC68U could get 10 years of support, then any other Asus model that gets "only four years" is an international diplomatic incident worthy of a forum bloodbath.

It isn't.

People should appreciate that at least, Asus is making it official, rather than just silently stopping the release of firmware updates, leaving people to wonder.

In an ideal world, Broadcom and Qualcomm would actually start trying to cooperate with the OSS community, and provide open source drivers to the community, so that projects like OpenWRT can cover for manufacturers who eventually drop the ball on a perfectly functional piece of hardware.

These SoC manufacturers are the real source of the problem here.
Well, I don't disagree with you here, but I also try my very best to avoid brands that drop their products like a hot turd after a year or two, when possible.

My TV is a 2021 model that is still getting regular updates (also, it wasn't anywhere near $1000), my phone is a Pixel 6 that is getting regular updates and after my old Netgear R7800 died after seven years and somewhat regular updates, plus Voxel's much more regular updates, I got the RT-AX68U as a replacement, as it was what I could afford at the time.

That was in August of 2022, so to me, it's only a year and a half old and now it's EOL. That just doesn't seem fair, as I didn't buy a five year old model, I bought something that was still fairly recently released. However, as it had some kind of hardware issue that made it fall over after about a weeks uptime and my SO who was relying on it for work ended up making me get another router, so I got an RT-AX86U Pro, as it had come down significantly in price and it hasn't missed a beat so far, although by now it's still sitting in Taiwan, while I had to get a new router here in Sweden.

The GT-AX6000 I got here, without double checking properly, has a firmware that's nine months out of date now, which also feels like poor support, but according to some people on this forum, I should just suck it up and be happy, as it's working and I'm just a consumer, so why should I be concerned about security threats?

Obviously I'm running your firmware on it now, but why are these companies so crap at issuing regular updates? I'm not asking for new features, just bug fixes and security updates. I know it can be done, I worked at a company that did just that, because the company saw it as something that mattered for its customers. Clearly no-one else in this business does and as you point out, Asus is the best of the worst.

I feel sorry for Asus customers who bought some of their MTK and Qualcomm based models and got TP-Link level support on those products, or worse in some cases. These types of products shouldn't be allowed to be sold with less than five years of guaranteed security updates. I'm not asking for monthly updates like many phones get these days, but at least a quarterly update. Is this asking for too much?

As for the SoC guys, I fully agree. We reported an issue to MTK when I worked at the router manufacturer, explained to them what the issue was, after having spent a couple of months finding the exact issue and it still took them three months to issue a fix for the problem. It made the entire WiFi radio stack crash, so not a small problem.

The others appear to be no better and for those with a somewhat longer memory, you might remember that QCA abandoned its first generation of 802.11ac chips, as they had a hardware bug that was unfixable in firmware. Luckily, only TP-Link had managed to release hardware based on said chip.

All three of them are overly paranoid about their intellectual property, so that will most likely never happen, even though I fully agree with you on the software side of things.

Last edited:
I also wonder, of the number of complaints about short Asus support, how many are also considering the modems. Not sure about other countries but the age of some of the modems (or modem/routers) in use in the UK is shocking considering part of the monthly ISP fee is a managed/maintained modem/router.
Cable and xDLS modems are fairly basic, but yes, the can be hacked, but as long as it's just a "dumb" modem, it's less of a threat, as they're harder to hack compared to most consumer routers. Obviously combined modem/routers are terrible and I would ask any ISP that provides one of those to put them in bridge mode and invest in a third party router. However, I know many people are happy with whatever their ISP provides and it also shows how little awareness there is among non techy people about the risks involved with these types of devices.

I'm glad I no longer need to have such a device, but it most likely also makes my router a more likely target as well, which is why I want to be able to keep it up to date.

The GT-AX6000 I got here, without double checking properly, has a firmware that's nine months out of date now, which also feels like poor support, but according to some people on this forum, I should just suck it up and be happy, as it's working and I'm just a consumer, so why should I be concerned about security threats?

In these recent cases, I don't know why a number of fairly high end models received very infrequent updates over the last year. It does not match the planned release schedule Asus tsaid they were aiming for a few years ago, so something has changed. I can only speculate. Maybe the plan got derailed between the large number of SKUs they released these past 3 years, and the amount of work involved in maintaining 384, 386, 388 and 102 code branches at the same time over the past 12-18 months. While having a shared common firmware code between all models should make it easier (tho the current heavy branching isn't helping there), maybe the QA is where they can't keep up with so many devices that need testing before a public release is issued?

I would also have expected more frequent updates for all these very recent models. Maybe end users should start asking them for it (which is far more likely to produce a positive result than coming on SNBForums to complain about it, where nobody from Asus will ever see it).

Obviously I'm running your firmware on it now
At least that gets you more up-to-date code, as I get the same GPL version for all models. I generally ask for a GPL update every alternate release.

I know it can be done, I worked at a company that did just that, because the company saw it as something that mattered for its customers
It was easier for you guys tho, since you had like three SKUs to put through QA before a firmware release.

I agree that this is definitely something many customers appreciate. If I were in Asus' shoes, I would have made that a marketing point with their ExpertWifi devices - promise firmware updates on a two months cycle. The same could have been done for the Pro SKUs as well, tho these are really just upgraded variants of already existing models, and not a separate product line.

As for the SoC guys, I fully agree. We reported an issue to MTK when I worked at the router manufacturer, explained to them what the issue was, after having spent a couple of months finding the exact issue and it still took them three months to issue a fix for the problem. It made the entire WiFi radio stack crash, so not a small problem.
I also remember when Belkin made a splash by announcing "the new WRT54G is here - the WRT1900AC will get full open source support", only to discover after the announcement that Realtek had yet to provide OSS drivers to the OpenWRT devs. That took quite a few months if I recall.

I'd probably tweak that to "their $1000 Android phone that stops getting updates after two years and is the much bigger security risk because of the amount of c**p they load on to it".
To be fair, a router is also fairly critical in terms of security, since it fronts your whole network. However a lot of the security issues are only exploitable LAN-side, so unless people start exposing their router's user interface to the WAN, they should remain fairly secure.

Even the recent dnsmasq issue was really just a DoS exploit, and not something that could be exploited to compromise your network.

I would also have expected more frequent updates for all these very recent models. Maybe end users should start asking them for it (which is far more likely to produce a positive result than coming on SNBForums to complain about it, where nobody from Asus will ever see it).
@RMerlin, that is a good suggestion for people here. What would be the best, most effective, method for people to go about asking Asus?

I also try my very best to avoid brands that drop their products like a hot turd after a year or two, when possible.
I hope the EU will come with laws that enforce longer support, like they have planned for phones and tablets (in 2025):

Additionally, manufacturers will have to make compatible software updates available for at least 5 years.

(Maybe some of these rules already take routers into account?)

People should appreciate that at least, Asus is making it official

How exactly to appreciate this:

Asus Canada Store, today - Mar 20 2024:

1710975057918.png

Why is this model offered on their official site?

The last firmware release - May 2021, 384_46630. EoL model for a long time.

@RMerlin, that is a good suggestion for people here. What would be the best, most effective, method for people to go about asking Asus?
Feedback form available on the stock firmware's webui.

Why is this model offered on their official site?
I guess it's either sell it, or ewaste the inventory.

Odd that they didn't tie the remaining inventory to their EOL date. Could be that Intel themselves decided to EOL the software stack. Would be another example of where I feel that the SoC supplier is probably often to be blamed with early demise of certain products.