Asus new firmware doesn't allow spaces in WPA2/WPA3 passwords

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
I use a long passphrase and use spaces in my passwords.

While not a crisis, if Asus changes which characters are allowed that would be unfortunate.

Their popup help says 'letters and numbers' which suggests no symbols or punctuation.

I use the first letter of each word in an easy-to-remember passphrase, plus some key numbers inserted at key places. For example:

"The grass is always greener on the other side."

Becomes WPA Pre-Shared Key: tg2021iag2021otos

OE

XIII

Very Senior Member

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
Using a space might make your password "safer"... ;)

A space is just another character and is generally not permissible (causes more trouble than it's worth)... why would hackers try to brute force a character likely not used.

With the exception of WiFi, I don't use the same password twice and they look like these:

zg0>@ltl5~)mzRWx
a%|5~is&dyfH$Jd}
0a4k$yTo}P%eW}m?
tcr*jbgHbm%t}UL:
.C;.Ha>;+.ao~bIz
HO%GL:49'!}orKcG
}C&E.EGX`MW?.<od

They're safe enough without a space character.

OE

Spc

Occasional Visitor
I just got official word from asus:
If you want to use space at the end of the wpa password stay on lower firmware and don't upgrade.

New firmware doesn't support space at the end and that's final.

bbunge

Part of the Furniture
Space, the Final Frontier!
Will Asus or any other consumer company bow to customer wishes and allow spaces again?
Or, will users risk the security of their equipment by staying on old firmware fraught with vulnerabilities?
Stay tuned! But, "Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future."

Spc

Occasional Visitor
What's the problem actually? Space at the end or space anywhere?
I tested it on newest firmware.
For me space doesn't work at the end and in the middle of the password.

Maybe we need asus merlin fork that allows spaces at the end and in the middle with latest 82u firmware.

Space, the Final Frontier!
Will Asus or any other consumer company bow to customer wishes and allow spaces again?
Or, will users risk the security of their equipment by staying on old firmware fraught with vulnerabilities?
Stay tuned! But, "Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future."
Yep i guess anyone who wants a space in the password will be vulnerable to other attacks as there will be no new firmware updates for us.

Maybe if we can get merlin official or FORK working on 82u, we can create a script or make merlin version accept passwords with space at the end and space in the middle.
Or if someone from you knows a guy that works for ASUS, you can kindly ask them to add support back as it was in old versions.

Last edited:

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
There is no need for spaces in passwords. There are many reasons why there shouldn't be any.

Time to move on. Asus has fixed the code (finally).

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
I tested it on newest firmware.
For me space doesn't work at the end and in the middle of the password.

Maybe we need asus merlin fork that allows spaces at the end and in the middle with latest 82u firmware.

Yep i guess anyone who wants a space in the password will be vulnerable to other attacks as there will be no new firmware updates for us.

Maybe if we can get merlin official or FORK working on 82u, we can create a script or make merlin version accept passwords with space at the end and space in the middle.
Or if someone from you knows a guy that works for ASUS, you can kindly ask them to add support back as it was in old versions.

If you want spaces, spell 'em out! :)

OE

Last edited:

Spc

Occasional Visitor
It's very funny, as these spaces work on all other firmware, including merlin, dd-wrt, openwrt, linksys, tp-link, cisco, belkin... etc.

Last edited:

XIII

Very Senior Member
Are spaces allowed in the specification?

(Wikipedia claims this, but I can’t find the correct original document)

Can a company loose WiFi certification for “such a small thing”?

Spc

Occasional Visitor
Wikipedia's Wi-Fi Protected Access says the WPA-PSK passphrase is 8 to 63 printable ASCII characters, and includes this reference as a footnote:
"The space character is included in this range"
Each character in the pass-phrase must have an encoding in the range of 32 to 126 (decimal), inclusive. (IEEE Std. 802.11i-2004, Annex H.4.1) The space character is included in this range.

Quote here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access#cite_ref-21

So ASUS is not compliant to RFC standard.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!