What's new

ASUS OpenVpn Client & Server Use Concurrently

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

StackJackson

New Around Here
I recently deployed ASUS client VPN connecting NordVPN and I've found that I cannot use my external ASUS OpenVPN server if the client is connected to Nord.

DDNS is not working, since the Nord connection on the ASUS seems to overtake all aspects of my external IP and DDNS, etc.

Can anyone comment on this? Any ideas on how to use ASUS client VPN and Server VPN concurrently with Nord or other VPN providers?

I have not modified my firmware. Stock.

Thanks

I explain the problem in the following post.

Although that post refers specifically to the router's ssh server, the problem affects remote access to *any* services over the WAN, router or LAN clients, that are simultaneously bound to the router's OpenVPN client. So using Merlin is one way to deal w/ it, since that firmware allows you to implement routing policy to get the router itself off the OpenVPN client, making the OpenVPN server accessible again.

But there are other ways as well, and which may be necessary for oem/stock firmware. If you *know* the public IP(s) from which will be accessing the OpenVPN server (workplace, school, favorite wifi cafe, etc.), you can create static routes that bind those static IPs to the WAN. Or if your OpenVPN provider supports port forwarding over the tunnel, you could remotely access from their end of the tunnel rather than the WAN.

I explain the problem in the following post.

Although that post refers specifically to the router's ssh server, the problem affects remote access to *any* services over the WAN, router or LAN clients, that are simultaneously bound to the router's OpenVPN client. So using Merlin is one way to deal w/ it, since that firmware allows you to implement routing policy to get the router itself off the OpenVPN client, making the OpenVPN server accessible again.

But there are other ways as well, and which may be necessary for oem/stock firmware. If you *know* the public IP(s) from which will be accessing the OpenVPN server (workplace, school, favorite wifi cafe, etc.), you can create static routes that bind those static IPs to the WAN. Or if your OpenVPN provider supports port forwarding over the tunnel, you could remotely access from their end of the tunnel rather than the WAN.

Cool, thank you for the help, much appreciated. I'm using a cheapie ASUS model RT-ACRH13 that doesn't have Merlin support. Need to upgrade for sure.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online