What's new

Asus OpenVPN server security

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So everything is working well on the RT-AC66U I bought, however, I do get a message that "Your current Samba allows unauthorized users to log in" on the log-in UI

I DO want anybody connected to the LAN either through WiFi, ethernet, or myself (remotely via VPN) to be able to access the USB drive plugged into the router without any username or password.

If I have a strong password + private certificate set up on the OpenVPN server, there really shouldn't be an issue with this SAMBA guest set up right?

If I have a strong password + private certificate set up on the OpenVPN server, there really shouldn't be an issue with this SAMBA guest set up right?

The question is, do you trust everything on your LAN, including any IoT device such as Chinese generic cameras and the likes?

Using password-protected sharing is a good idea, even if you just reuse the same username and password for everyone. It will at least ensure that malicious devices/software might get stopped by it.