What's new

ASUS or Orbi or Both?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alsoszaa

New Around Here
I currently use Netgear Orbi Mesh router system at my house. I just purchased an Asus AX56U router because I was happy to see the details provided by the Traffic Analyzer. Netgear just doesn't do this. Now I am wondering if I should try to place the ASUS router between the Modem and the Orbi, or replace all Orbi's with the ASUS, then buy more mesh supported "satellites" and build the mesh with ASUS AiMesh, OR, Is there a way to go from Modem, to ASUS AX56U, then use the Orbi as Satellites in the AiMesh. Is that possible? Can I somehow use the ASUS in router mode and the Orbi's in AP mode? Other options. Keep in mind the main thing is to use the traffic analyzer from Asus, but if the ASUS out performs the orbi, I can switch to that.

Thanks!

I currently use Netgear Orbi Mesh router system at my house. I just purchased an Asus AX56U router because I was happy to see the details provided by the Traffic Analyzer. Netgear just doesn't do this. Now I am wondering if I should try to place the ASUS router between the Modem and the Orbi, or replace all Orbi's with the ASUS, then buy more mesh supported "satellites" and build the mesh with ASUS AiMesh, OR, Is there a way to go from Modem, to ASUS AX56U, then use the Orbi as Satellites in the AiMesh. Is that possible? Can I somehow use the ASUS in router mode and the Orbi's in AP mode? Other options. Keep in mind the main thing is to use the traffic analyzer from Asus, but if the ASUS out performs the orbi, I can switch to that.

Thanks!
I had a RBK50 that had the ability to be just an access point instead of a router. I tested it behind one of my Asus routers with the satellite and it worked OK. I did not like the limitations of the Orbi even with the custom firmware so I gave it to a friend who did not need to be geeky.

Thanks!

Investigate the Orbi system to see if you can wire it as a generic AP to the Asus router. But now you have two parts to maintain... the Asus router and the Orbi system.

You can only use AiMesh products in an Asus AiMesh.

OE

I want to capture all traffic, wireless and wired (like a firewall but cheaper) before it leaves through the modem. I would need to make the gateway be the ASUS router. I also don't want to run into double NAT by having the ORBI and ASUS both act as a router.
I also bought satellites for the orbi that have voice and have really nice harmon kardon alexa enabled speakers! I would like to keep those around. So you see the conundrum.

Yeah I will certainly investigate the abilities of the Orbi AP system. I had hoped someone had experimented with multiple mesh systems, so I posed my question here.

Thanks for the fast responses already! this is great!

I did not like the limitations of the Orbi even with the custom firmware so I gave it to a friend who did not need to be geeky.
This has always been my worry when moving away from Asus with Merlin. Losing the ability to truly customize and tweak. I almost pulled the trigger on an Orbi RBK50 system but instead added two AX-88Us.