What's new

ASUS Republic of Games RAPTURE GT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GeorgePopescu

New Around Here
Hello,

I have an ASUS Republic of Games RAPTURE GT-AC5300 router, now I have installed the Current Version firmware (the official one from ASUS): 3.0.0.4.386_42643-g16dc577

what firmware version from Asuswrt-Merlin do you recommend?

Thanks!
George

Merlin doesnt support this device sadly.
My question is : Does anyone have info on why this premium router has not recieved any new firmware update since may 2021.
Regards
Dive

There's a beta release floating around out there for the GT-AC5300, 9.0.0.4.386_43576-g649d261. This firmware release fixed issues users were having running Pi-hole DNS servers on their LAN's. Otherwise no new official firmware for the GT-AC5300 since May 2021, which is disappointing considering it was one of ASUS's flagship routers. It's not as popular or as widely-used as other ASUS router models, so it's probably not high on the priority list for future firmware development.

Merlin doesnt support this device sadly.
My question is : Does anyone have info on why this premium router has not recieved any new firmware update since may 2021.
Regards
Dive
I was wondering the same thing myself after reading about some new wireless router exploits

There's a beta release floating around out there for the GT-AC5300, 9.0.0.4.386_43576-g649d261. This firmware release fixed issues users were having running Pi-hole DNS servers on their LAN's. Otherwise no new official firmware for the GT-AC5300 since May 2021, which is disappointing considering it was one of ASUS's flagship routers. It's not as popular or as widely-used as other ASUS router models, so it's probably not high on the priority list for future firmware development.
Yes, AC router is not their highest priority for firmware releasing, if you referring to RC3 beta release,
they are releasing firmware for AX model first, then AC model when the firmware became stable enough.
It is nothing to do with premium model or affordable model.
Try to submit firmware feedback through 192.168.1.1 portal, and good luck.

Well I also have 2 RT AX89X’s and the last update was in September last year.

So I guess the message from ASUS is please buy our expensive products, but don’t expect the same focus as our cheaper options.

So I guess I should cancel my ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Glacial order if the BIOS update strategy follows the same pattern

I've run this firmware for some time, but it seems to be having some issues with the AiMesh system not being stable, voip not working, so i reverted back to official 386_42643, but also this one is not stable for me and router needs to be restarted at least every week...
Since i have lot's of issues when adaptive Qos is enabled (high ping spikes >2000ms , sudden low throughput on wireless, .. i contacted Asus, but like many got the default answers on how to troubleshoot it, ...
I already figured out myself the Qos has something todo with this high pings and sudden low throughput.
I've now set Qos to traditional and high pings and low throughput is only occurring once in a while, but yea it's a gaming router so i expect to use the gaming features and for that i need to enable adaptive Qos...
But for now only replies from Asus like we are working on it, escalated to the tech team, but no real solution for the issue..
Asus also replied to have a new firmware ready by end of Q1...

Yeah, weekly reboot is a must for me as well since I bought this model 4 years ago. I did tried without reloading it, but sooner than later it will start misbehaving. It may be 10 day, 2w or even longer. But it will slow down eventually. I have a weekly reload during the night and I forgot about this problem.
I'm not using QoS. Plenty of bandwidth and have no need for QoS. Hours and hours of video calls while kids playing and downloads/uploads happening with no issues whatsoever.

It depends on the games you are playing, some don't have an issue with high ping but FPS do...
You think you are at a certain point, but due to the lag the game is already a bit further and you get killed not even noticing it....
Very frustration....

I've run this firmware for some time, but it seems to be having some issues with the AiMesh system not being stable, voip not working, so i reverted back to official 386_42643, but also this one is not stable for me and router needs to be restarted at least every week...
Since i have lot's of issues when adaptive Qos is enabled (high ping spikes >2000ms , sudden low throughput on wireless, .. i contacted Asus, but like many got the default answers on how to troubleshoot it, ...
I already figured out myself the Qos has something todo with this high pings and sudden low throughput.
I've now set Qos to traditional and high pings and low throughput is only occurring once in a while, but yea it's a gaming router so i expect to use the gaming features and for that i need to enable adaptive Qos...
But for now only replies from Asus like we are working on it, escalated to the tech team, but no real solution for the issue..
Asus also replied to have a new firmware ready by end of Q1...
I agree there are definitely stability issues with the GT-AC5300 firmware...the stable from May 2021 is no better than the beta in terms of AiMesh reliability. Depending on what you're using for AiMesh nodes and how many you have, you'll probably run into the web admin UI crash issue at some point, if you haven't already, which requires a total reboot of all nodes and the router. I've found that changing the default settings (from a complete factory/hardware reset) as minimally as possible is the only way the GT-AC5300 remains stable in an AiMesh network, when it's the main router. The more you deviate from the standard settings and modify configs, the more problems this router seems to have...definitely substandard firmware.

The GT-AC5300 firmware remains buggy, and even with weekly scheduled reboots, wifi sometimes drops entirely, requiring manually rebooting the router.
My RT-AC68u is still going strong as an AI mesh node in the master bedroom, but the RT-AC1750 b1 AI mesh node in the basement just died entirely, and no longer even turns on.
With 1 Gig Fiber internet, I discovered I'm way better off turning of QOS all together, which gets me 940 Mbps down at 1 MS ping on wired connection, vs around 400-500 Mbps with QOS enabled.
I'm just tired of wifi constantly dropping off at random times.
I want to buy a new router, and was thinking about buying a RT-AX86U or a RT-AX89X, and would really like to stick with Asus, so I can use my old routers as AI mesh nodes, but I'm fed up with their poor reliability, and I'm not convinced their new AX models will not have the same reliability issues as previous models.
Maybe it's time to join the waiting list to get a Ubiquity Dream Machine Pro and some wireless access points...

What i also noticed in my setup (GT-ac5300 as main and Rt-ac68u as node) at some moment in time the Aimesh get's messed up (or should i call it meshed up)..
On reboot of both all seem to work fine and on the AiMesh tab you can see all the rates....
1644304520652.png

However after some time those values in blue and green all drop to 0
1644304563849.png

What could cause this?
Rebooting main router again and all values are again > 0 !

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!