What's new

ASUS router issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Glen Briggs

New Around Here
I have a couple of year old ASUS router running Merlin.

About 2 months ago I started having issues with one LAN computer would loose network access. The computer, windows 8.1 would still show connected, however no internet or LAN access was working. I would have to restart to fix the problem. Just to try I moved the connection from Port 1 to Port 4 and it seems to have fixed it.

Two days ago a DVR security camera system on port 2 started dropping connections.

Am I wrong in thinking the router is going bad?

Real router model? Actual firmware installed?

ASUS RT-n66u running Merlin 380.70.0.

I forgot to mention, the other 2 wired LAN connections have never had a problem. Nor has the wifi.

Firstly, I would be tempted to upgrade to more current and secure firmware (and afterward, perform a full M&M Config too. Please see the link in my signature below for further details).

Secondly, I would not blindly put in any old settings/configurations 'just because' they were there before. :)

Here is a link to john9527's latest builds. Not only more security for your older model but also offers more features too just like currently supported RMerlin firmware does (namely, amtm + supported scripts).

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AKXdaMzjqVKbGsc&id=9332FC159A7E129!1117&cid=09332FC159A7E129

Try doing a complete electrical reset.

1) Unplug the power
2) Turn it on without the power plugged in
3) Wait at least 5 seconds, then turn it off
4) Plug back in, turn it back on

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!