What's new

ASUS Router Security

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JCW3

Occasional Visitor
It bothers me that ASUS routers do not provide an option in setup to prevent access to their Web management pages from the WAN. All routers I've used previously have done this, and often more, like preventing wireless login to the management pages and/or allowing only specified MAC addresses to login. How do you folks cope with this? Are there other compensating security features that I'm missing? Thanks in advance for any insight to this newbie to the ASUS line. -- JCW3

How do you folks cope with this?

Administration, System:

Untitled_wan.png

Colin -- OK, can you point me to this feature? I just tried to set up a RT-AC68U and cannot find that feature anywhere on its Web management pages. I chatted with ASUS tech support, who confirmed that they did not. I'm happy to be proven wrong... -- JCW3

Access to web management is disabled by default. Sad to say there are still foolish people who enable it anyway.

Is the AC68U in Router mode, or Access Point mode, etc.? The option is only visible and applicable in Router mode. Seems odd you can’t find it.

See post #3.
OK, I see it now.

Odd that I was not able to get a correct answer on this from Chat support. They also seemed unaware of the options there to effectively prevent wireless administration of the router (Only Allow Specific IP).

I'm still not clear on the usefulness of Authentication Method (HTTP, HTTPS, or Both)... -- JCW3

Last edited:
I'm still not clear on the usefulness of Authentication Method (HTTP, HTTPS, or Both)

Asus Router app after recent updates requires HTTPS even on local network. You also have the option to enable access from WAN, if you want to.

Asus Router app after recent updates requires HTTPS even on local network. You also have the option to enable access from WAN, if you want to.
Not true. The app may suggest https but you can ignore that.

As for the foolish ones that still use WAN access, there were a couple of folks on the 386.5 release thread that were discussing upgrades using the WAN access. Nominees for the Darwin Award...

One more question about this ASUS RT-AC68U router: Is there any way to prevent administration from its wireless LAN or, failing that, to limit wireless administration to certain MAC addresses?

I can't find one, and often that feature is absent... -- JCW3

One more question about this ASUS RT-AC68U router: Is there any way to prevent administration from its wireless LAN or, failing that, to limit wireless administration to certain MAC addresses?

Not that I know of besides 'don't login over WiFi'.

OE

The Enable Access Restrictions option on the Administration > System page may or may not work to answer your question. The tooltip for Enabled Access Restrictions indicates the following:
This features allows you to restrict access to the wireless router via "Web UI" / "SSH" / "Telnet" to only specified IP addresses and networks from WAN (if Enabled) or LAN sides. "Telnet" access from WAN side is forbidden.
enableaccessrestrictions.jpg

The Enable Access Restrictions option on the Administration > System page may or may not work to answer your question...
Interesting! If "Web UI" means what it sounds like, it might just work for me. This option is newer than the user guide I downloaded; I know from experience that Asus tech-support chat gives out anti-information; so I suppose experimentation is the only way...

...unless somebody else here knows. Cheers! -- JCW3

Interesting! If "Web UI" means what it sounds like, it might just work for me. This option is newer than the user guide I downloaded; I know from experience that Asus tech-support chat gives out anti-information; so I suppose experimentation is the only way...

Let us know how it works out... that's part of the give and take around here.

OE

Quick test with a single IP address works to limit access to the web ui. No other devices can access the web ui.

Quick test with a single IP address works to limit access to the web ui. No other devices can access the web ui.
Thanks, bennor, for checking this out!

I guess all I would need to do is make a DHCP reservation for the MAC address of the computer that will do the administration (I think that prevents any other machine from taking that IP address) and then enter the reserved IP address in the "Remote Access Configuration" box as you indicated.

I'll check this out with a new RT-AC68U that I have on order and report back in a week or two. (I'm in the process of upgrading my whole home Wi-Fi system, and another new router is needed. I've already put the first one into service for my less-secure "Internet of Things" and would draw howls if I messed around with it now.) -- JCW3

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!