What's new

Asus router/VPN question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Th3ory

New Around Here
Hello, I feel this is a silly/foolish question to ask but I am actually getting frustrated with this little issue I have regarding my Asus gt-ax6000 and my nordVPN service.

If I am not connected to my VPN service I have downloaded on my desktop pc and not connected to nordVPN, I can open up my Microsoft edge web browser and navigate to http://router.asus.com and log into my ASUS router. However, if I connect to my nordVPN service and a nordVPN server, then navigate to http://router.asus.com it says I can't open the web page, "

Hmmm… can't reach this page​

router.asus.com’s server IP address could not be found." and can't log into my router. I even attempted to set up VPN fusion on my router, was successful but then could not log back into my router... I had to hard reset my router to factory specs just to log back in... I feel foolish however it's what I am dealing with.

I feel like I am missing something simple and there is an easy fix to this problem, perhaps a different web browser or a setting in the web browser options? Any help would be nice, thank you.

I feel like I am missing something simple...
Yes. When you are connected to NordVPN you are using their DNS servers instead of the router's DNS server. router.asus.com is a "fake" hostname that only exists in router's DNS. It is not resolvable on public DNS servers.
Code:
C:\>nslookup router.asus.com
Server:  RT-AX86U.home.lan
Address:  192.168.1.1

Name:    router.asus.com
Address:  192.168.1.1

C:\>nslookup router.asus.com 8.8.8.8
Server:  dns.google
Address:  8.8.8.8

*** dns.google can't find router.asus.com: Non-existent domain