What's new

ASUS routers with at least 128 manually assigned IPs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I wrote to ASUS about this and below is their reply:

Thank you for contacting ASUS Support.
Following up with your query regarding the DHCP list Max Limit if up to 128.
Please be informed that there is no device that currently supports this limit. Due to a firmware change in 2018/2019, the memory area allocated for storing values was assigned a limit, equating to around 64 devices.
In return other functions were expanded, such as the firmware rules and other areas where devices can be assigned, as some features only allowed 8 or 12 devices due to the memory limit.
Most functions all now support 64 devices to be assigned, which has dropped the maximum amount of manually assigned IP addresses. Older devices with the 128 limit have since been updated to the same 64-device limit.

You say you're using YazDHCP already, so you should have no problem assigning more than 128 IPs manually. Though, why, on that router, with that many clients .... that's the more important question IMO. :)

You say you're using YazDHCP already, so you should have no problem assigning more than 128 IPs manually. Though, why, on that router, with that many clients .... that's the more important question IMO. :)
Hi, yes I installed YazDHCP and got 128 until I rebooted. Thereafter it went back to 64. I posted this issue elsewhere in this forum and the suggestion is I reinstall YazDHCP. Will try that tonight.
At the moment I have close to 70 devices that I reserve addresses for using Sophos FW. Sophos FW is excellent but too complicated for me to use properly.

Hi, yes I installed YazDHCP and got 128 until I rebooted. Thereafter it went back to 64. I posted this issue elsewhere in this forum and the suggestion is I reinstall YazDHCP. Will try that tonight.
At the moment I have close to 70 devices that I reserve addresses for using Sophos FW. Sophos FW is excellent but too complicated for me to use properly.
You should ask yourself why you want to reserve that many IP addresses and whether you really need it. This is rarely necessary, as you can just use hostname resolution instead to access these devices within your LAN.

My issue resolved after installing Diversion Standard and install YazDHCP via AMTM. Rebooted several times and 128 reservations remained. Also success in importing 70+ IP reservations.

My issue resolved after installing Diversion Standard and install YazDHCP via AMTM. Rebooted several times and 128 reservations remained. Also success in importing 70+ IP reservations.

Until some other update breaks it. As already asked, why do you need so many reservations?

Until some other update breaks it. As already asked, why do you need so many reservations?
Great question, I say it is not for anything other than my preference. There are about 10 or so devices like remote desktop, NAS and APs that I want fixed IP addresses. Rest are just nice to have. Was using Sophos FW for a few years and got used to having all IPs reserved, except for guests.

Great question, I say it is not for anything other than my preference. There are about 10 or so devices like remote desktop, NAS and APs that I want fixed IP addresses. Rest are just nice to have. Was using Sophos FW for a few years and got used to having all IPs reserved, except for guests.

Maybe time to start using hostnames?

The max number of DHCP reservations is model specific.

If you need that many reservations however then a home gateway like an Asus router is probably not the correct product for your needs.
I used the Merlin so have 128 IP reservatuions so all good. At the moment I have close to 80 IPs reserved. It the router fails I will fall back to my Sophos SG115rev2.

Just curious - what devices, why so many and why with reserved IPs?
I suppose th eusual - computers, mobile phones, portable devices, IoTs. With reserve IPs I know what device is on my setwork and ability to control internet usage. I am reading up mac access control too.

You may have to rethink the IoT strategy. I'm assuming at least 60 are IoTs. Are they all mixed with your main devices on the same network?

Just curious - what devices, why so many and why with reserved IPs?

I agree - that's a lot of IP's to reserve...

Might consider going offboard with DHCP - PiHole acting as a DHCP server might be a solution...

Maybe time to start using hostnames?

Might also consider mDNS/Avahi/Bonjur - devices have hostnames, and mDNS can resolve .local...

DNSMasq generally will assign leases the same over time in most config for DHCP...

You may have to rethink the IoT strategy. I'm assuming at least 60 are IoTs. Are they all mixed with your main devices on the same network?
Hi yes all mixed up. I wanted to create a second less-secure network but could not resolve how to control the Linksys router of the second network from the first network (behind RT-AC86U). I am just too dumb to fugure out how :)

You already have all the information needed to run 2x routers with separate networks.

Might also consider mDNS/Avahi/Bonjur - devices have hostnames, and mDNS can resolve .local...

DNSMasq generally will assign leases the same over time in most config for DHCP...

Yeah that's what I mean, who cares what the IP is, start targeting things based on their hostname. I guess with IOT devices that isn't as easy as PCs etc, but then most of those devices will have an app that discovers them with MDNS or similar....

I set my DHCP lease to the longest it supports just to try and keep things fairly static, but that is more left over from when I used to have netflow monitoring and wanted to be able to track something down from days/weeks ago. The asus only lets you put 7 days, I used to have 30 before that.