What's new

Asus RT AC 3100 streaming from attached drive to non smart tv

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yycwrangler

New Around Here
As mentioned above, I have the Asus rt ac 3100 with an attached hard drive. I have a non smart tv and wish to stream the movies from the hard drive, attached to the router, to the tv. Is there any media streamers that allow me to do this (roku, Apple TV, google etc).

Thank in advance
Al

With a Roku attached to your TV you have options:

You can use a tablet or a smart phone and cast what you see on its screen to your TV using a Roku.

You can use the PLEX channel on your Roku and stream various type of media to your TV. You will have to verify that your movies are in a format that both Plex and your Roku can handle.

You could also use a Google Chromecast to cast anything on a computer screen to your TV. I have found this to work better/ easier than casting to a Roku which wasn't really designed to stream video from your LAN.

There are probably other options but if you are trying to stream uncompressed HD video you had better have the devices connected using Ethernet cables.

I like the google chrome chrome cast (CC) idea. So correct me if I'm wrong. I plug the CC into the tv, then plug into the router. I will be able to view a menu on my iPhone or iPad which will show the files in my router/harddrive. I will then be able to control playing the movies through my iPhone or iPad..If that's the case sounds pretty straight forward. Is there a particular CC model that you would recommend

So are they actually mirroring what I'm seeing on my iPhone/ipad or is the iPhone/ipad just working as a remote control (hope that makes sense)

I like the google chrome chrome cast (CC) idea. So correct me if I'm wrong. I plug the CC into the tv, then plug into the router. I will be able to view a menu on my iPhone or iPad which will show the files in my router/harddrive. I will then be able to control playing the movies through my iPhone or iPad..If that's the case sounds pretty straight forward. Is there a particular CC model that you would recommend

So are they actually mirroring what I'm seeing on my iPhone/ipad or is the iPhone/ipad just working as a remote control (hope that makes sense)

The Chromecast devices use WiFi and plugs into HDMI port on your TV.

You then screen cast from your PC , tablet or phone. Any selection of items to view would be done using the casting device. I'm not sure, but I think the Chromecast only works with the Chrome browser and Android devices though my Chromecast audio does work quite well with Pandora on my Iphone.

My NAS has a DLNA media function built in. I can use it to stream media to smart TVs or other connected devices. Don't have any experience streaming video with it. It is not the latest super duper 4K model, but the one available for $25-$35. I use it primarily to show my wife pages from the Internet on a nearby TV which is more comfortable for both of us than having her hang over my shoulder and look at the monitor while I try and navigate.

Good luck. Hopefully someone that actually does what you want will jump in.

Thanks for the update..I'm going to try the CC, perhaps the update one. I should clarify. I have an old plasma tv. Perhaps 8-10 years old and it does show dlna but each time I have tried to connect the Asus router, it does show up..maybe there is something I'm not right and if you can think of that let me know

Al

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!