What's new

Asus RT-AC1900P & Intel AC-9560 slow speed SMB files transfer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

petrovpix

New Around Here
Hello

Almost a week, I could not figure out why I get twice slower speed transferring files on SMB when I use Wi-Fi.
When I used Ethernet cable (same laptop, same router, same drive) I got ~60MB/sec
With Wi-Fi - my max speed ~35MB/sec, but it not stable and most time stay on ~25MB/sec

And of course I used USB 3.0, Wi-Fi 5Ghz (2,4Ghz radio disabled), latest firmware by Merlin, latest drivers...

Asus GX502GV with Intel AC-9560 wi-fi card (Windows 10 latest upd). It must give 800Mbps and above.
Asus RT-AC1900P

I would appreciate any help!

Last edited:
Is the drive attached to the router? This router's radio puts high load on the main CPU. The difference you see is perhaps because the same CPU serves SMB only (Ethernet connection) and radio + SMB (Wi-Fi connection). Observe the CPU load in both scenarios and you'll see the difference.

Yes, read again post #2 after my edit. The router is not the right place to plug this HDD in. Not reliable as NAS, you may lose data.

Yes, read again post #2 after my edit. The router is not the right place to plug this HDD in. Not reliable as NAS, you may lose data.
Thank you.
I checked it...

Ethernet: 1 core - 60%-70% 2 core - 90%-100%
Wi-Fi: 1 core - 60%-70% 2 core - 90%-100%

And as I saw in this review SMB with Wi-Fi is not a problem for RT-AC1900P

P.S.
No, I didn't try to use it like NAS :)
Only shared folder for multiple devices

Not sure how this was tested in the review. How's your Wi-Fi speed to other Ethernet attached devices? Realistic expectation is about 500Mbps over Wi-Fi to common 2-stream AC client close to the router and with maximum link speed of 866Mbps. If you test with a laptop make sure power scheme is on Performance and the laptop is plugged in.

Not sure how this was tested in the review. How's your Wi-Fi speed to other Ethernet attached devices? Realistic expectation is about 500Mbps over Wi-Fi to common 2-stream AC client close to the router and with maximum link speed of 866Mbps. If you test with a laptop make sure power scheme is on Performance and the laptop is plugged in.
Any power saving modes disabled.
On other laptop with Intel AC-8265 got the same results.

Router placed in 30cm from laptop.

No. With your router see above. The same with most AC-class routers.
OK, but 35MB/sec is 3 times less than 866Mbps :(

If you want to squeeze the maximum speed possible from this router:

- disable all TrendMicro components (Withdraw the data sharing agreement in Administration, Privacy and reboot)
- make sure the devices are connected at 866Mbps link speeds (check in System Log, Wireless Log)
- make sure the Intel drivers are the best ones (read feedback online, some latest ones may not be the best)
- test a little further away from the router (30cm is way too close, test 3m from the router)

Even if your setup is perfect - Wi-Fi is shared medium and other networks around will use part of available bandwidth. If you live in an apartment building your chances of maximum speeds over Wi-Fi decrease. 866Mbps is the maximum link speed, throughput is about 1/2.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!