What's new

Asus RT-AC5300 Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.386.43576 Airplay & AirPrint issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wilki

New Around Here
After updating the firmware on my RT-AC5300 (to Version 3.0.0.4.386.43576), carrying out a factory restore, and setting up my Router (disabling Airtime fairness) I was unable to maintain a connection between my iPhone or iPad and my Sky Q Boxes (AirPlay), or AirPrint Printer. Also Amazon Alexa seemed to be buffering regularly.
I have not had these issues for the last few years, since i discovered the need to disable "Airtime Fairness". I re-enabled 'Airtime Fairness" on the 2.4GHz, 5GHz-1 & 5GHz-2 and rebooted, then disabled it and rebooted again, with no improvement. After each change to the Routers settings I was able to connect across the devices for approx. 10 minutes before it failed again.
Is there another setting somewhere that needs changing and I've missed?
I may try reverting to the previous Firmware, Version 3.0.0.4.386.43129, to see if this resolves the connectivity issues.

Last edited:
After updating the firmware on my RT-AC5300 (to Version 3.0.0.4.386.43576), carrying out a factory restore, and setting up my Router (disabling Airtime fairness) I was unable to maintain a connection between my iPhone or iPad and my Sky Q Boxes, or AirPrint Printer. Also Amazon Alexa seemed to be buffering regularly.
I have not had these issues for the last few years, since i discovered the need to disable "Airtime Fairness". I re-enabled 'Airtime Fairness" on the 2.4GHz, 5GHz-1 & 5GHz-2 and rebooted, then disabled it and rebooted again, with no improvement. After each change to the Routers settings I was able to connect across the devices for approx. 10 minutes before it failed again.
Is there another setting somewhere that needs changing and I've missed?
I may try reverting to the previous Firmware, Version 3.0.0.4.386.43129, to see if this resolves the connectivity issues.

If a basic configuration from scratch after the firmware reset to factory defaults does not maintain WiFi connections, then maybe there is a hardware issue.

OE

Thanks for your reply.

I have no issues maintaining wifi connection with the clients, they still appear on the network map and can still access the internet, so I don't think its a hardware issue.

The issue is that the clients cannot see each other on the network. iPhone and iPad cannot see the AirPrint printer, but my iMac (ethernet connected to router) can see the AirPrint Printer.
I cannot Airplay to the Sky q boxes from iPhone or iPad, as they do not appear to connect to.
I cannot access the recordings on the sky q box using the sky go app.
These are the same connectivity issues i had prior to disabling Airtime Fairness when I initially set the Router up a few years ago. It's as if Airtime Fairness isn't being fully disabled when requested, thought it was maybe a bug with the updated firmware.
Just wondered if anyone knew of any other setting I my have missed during the setup which would give the same symptoms.

Are you using any Guest WIFI? If so you will need to enable intranet access for clients on the Guest to see the LAN clients. Also, Airtime Fairness should be disabled by default on this firmware version. At least it is on the AX86U. Did you restore settings? Did you do a Hard Factory Reset? https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074/

Guest Wifi is disabled.
Airtime fairness is enabled by default on the 2.4GHz, 5GHz-1 and GHz-2 channels.
I restored factory settings after the software update from the GUI (on Saturday), carried out a hard reset using the button this morning, with no improvement.
I do run the router in Tri-Band smart connect and always have, but this has never caused this issue.
I suppose it could be an issue related to the Sky Q, if that software has also updated recently, but that doesn't explain the printer which hasn't been a problem prior to the firmware update.

I've now rolled back to a previous firmware version to see if this resolves it.

Are you using any Guest WIFI? If so you will need to enable intranet access for clients on the Guest to see the LAN clients. Also, Airtime Fairness should be disabled by default on this firmware version. At least it is on the AX86U. Did you restore settings? Did you do a Hard Factory Reset? https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074/
Ah, didn’t try that reset method just the software reset and the reset button. I’ll update the firmware to the newest version then reset via this method and reconfigure. Hopefully it resolves it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!