What's new

Asus RT-AC5300 Only Power LED

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

smajor

New Around Here
Hi All, hoping someone here can help before I declare this router dead.

I was given a RT-AC5300 that the owner said "wouldn't work." He gave up on it and bought something else. Not wanting to toss a decent router that would be an upgrade from my RT-AC68, I thought I'd try to resurrect it.

When powered on, it gets a steady power LED only. That's it. No wifi and if I plug it into my LAN, it is not recognized at all, nor do the LAN activity light work.

After trying a few resets, I decided to download Asus' recovery tool and the latest firmware. After following the instructions to get the router into Recovery Mode I was able to flash the latest firmware successfully.

...and same thing. It powers on and just gives the power LED and no other activity. I found a post here, don't know if it was for older Asus models, about powering on while holding down the WDS button to reset possible corrupted nvram. Nothing. Same thing.

Ideas?

Thanks! But, still no success. I had tried most of the things in that thread from other searches elsewhere. The WDS+Reset+Power On was new to me. It "worked" insomuch as it rapidly flashed the Power LED before going steady. But, that is as far as I (still) get. Just Power LED with no LAN (except in recovery mode for the flash) and no WiFi at all. Almost like it posts, but never boots.

I'm beginning to think that before it was given to me it may have been the victim of a power surge/lightening strike.

Just Power LED with no LAN (except in recovery mode for the flash) and no WiFi at all. Almost like it posts, but never boots.

I'm beginning to think that before it was given to me it may have been the victim of a power surge/lightening strike.

I have the exact same problem. Tried connecting via serial, but couldn't get that to work either, pretty sure which pin is rx/tx but tried swapping them anyway, no output on serial however. Also spotted some auctions on ebay saying "only power led burning", so there's more ac5300 routers affected by this. I'm starting to wonder if something on the hardware side is just worn down (bad capacitor? ).

Did you still get anywhere with it?

See also https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac5300-problems.58213/

Last edited:
I have the exact same problem. Tried connecting via serial, but couldn't get that to work either, pretty sure which pin is rx/tx but tried swapping them anyway, no output on serial however. Also spotted some auctions on ebay saying "only power led burning", so there's more ac5300 routers affected by this. I'm starting to wonder if something on the hardware side is just worn down (bad capacitor? ).

Did you still get anywhere with it?

See also https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac5300-problems.58213/

Unfortunately, no. It reached the point where it was just too much time to continue. I sold the power supply and antennas on eBay which went surprisingly quick. I guess I'm careful with my antennas! lol

Doesn't that unit have a 3 year warranty?