What's new

Asus RT-AC5300 Parental Control Not Working Very Well

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

freddyjuarez

Occasional Visitor
ASUS RT-AC5300
Firmware Version 386.5_2 Asuswrt-Merlin

So the problem I'm having is that I'm trying to block my nephew from playing anything to do with games like games from apps games from websites games from STEAM etc,

I already went into the Asus Router app and i already set up what needs to be done i clicked on Block Games but he is still able to play games

His using a Intel Chromebook provide by his school

When i tested other devices to see if games get block they do only my nephews Chromebook can still access games why?????

update I cleared the web history on the router for his device and waited for him to start playing the game on his laptop
and i dont see anything in web history that can relate to a game

look at the screenshots i uploaded

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-06 165155.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-05-06 165155.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Screenshot 2022-05-06 165239.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-05-06 165239.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Please remove your serial number, it is not needed and can be used to your detriment.

Probably hardwired to use google DNS. Does rebooting it help (the device and router)?

ASUS RT-AC5300
Firmware Version 386.5_2 Asuswrt-Merlin

So the problem I'm having is that I'm trying to block my nephew from playing anything to do with games like games from apps games from websites games from STEAM etc,

I already went into the Asus Router app and i already set up what needs to be done i clicked on Block Games but he is still able to play games

His using a Intel Chromebook provide by his school

When i tested other devices to see if games get block they do only my nephews Chromebook can still access games why?????

update I cleared the web history on the router for his device and waited for him to start playing the game on his laptop
and i dont see anything in web history that can relate to a game

look at the screenshots i uploaded
The best advice I have for parental controls, I had to use QoS and AI-protect along side it with . I had to make sure I accepted the disclaimer as well. From there, if it is still not working, it is closed source. All of that aspect of Asus routing is close source. All we can do is tell you what might have helped working for us, the rest is up to how Asus Devs have implemented it.

The best advice I have for parental controls, I had to use QoS and AI-protect along side it with . I had to make sure I accepted the disclaimer as well. From there, if it is still not working, it is closed source. All of that aspect of Asus routing is close source. All we can do is tell you what might have helped working for us, the rest is up to how Asus Devs have implemented it.
Thanks for this reply good to know it's not just me having problems with parental control

I am using AI-protect, i don't think QoS would do me any good with my situation though

Last edited:
Thanks for this reply good to know it's not just me having problems with parental control
TBH, I wish there was a word or a guide someone could give to you to make it work. Part of the mystery of Asus Firmware, (even Merlin Asus Firmware, which uses all closed source componants of Asus Firmware), is what is behind the asus closed source. Asus keeps parts of their code closed source to protect the entities, that they have agreements with, that provide features such as AI-Protect, QoS, and Parental controls. The problem for us users is that they are tied up under one disclaimer agreement and the fact everything is closed source. In this regard, we rely strictly on reporting the behaviors to Asus in hopes that they can come up with some sort of resolution.

Best wishes to you. Let us know if you come up with a working solution, or simply let us know what you find down the line that works for you because it may benefit others.

I am using AI-protect, i don't think QoS would do me any good with my situation though
In this regard, I use adaptive QoS with 1gbps internet. My speeds are around 650 with no strain to the router, and 850 makes the cpu go crazy. I also use AI-protect. It appears that my parental controls work well. I also enable DNS filter pointing the clients at the chosen DNS source. ( my DNS source is my router). The key pointer with QoS is that it ensures the CPU has a stake in the connection and not just the hardware alone. Where as the hardware alone could simply bypass the Parental controls without the CPU as a factor. DNS filter ensures we have control of the DNS clients use by enforcing it with IPtables.

TBH, I wish there was a word or a guide someone could give to you to make it work. Part of the mystery of Asus Firmware, (even Merlin Asus Firmware, which uses all closed source componants of Asus Firmware), is what is behind the asus closed source. Asus keeps parts of their code closed source to protect the entities, that they have agreements with, that provide features such as AI-Protect, QoS, and Parental controls. The problem for us users is that they are tied up under one disclaimer agreement and the fact everything is closed source. In this regard, we rely strictly on reporting the behaviors to Asus in hopes that they can come up with some sort of resolution.

Best wishes to you. Let us know if you come up with a working solution, or simply let us know what you find down the line that works for you because it may benefit others.
Do you happen to know if this is Asus Router issue because if it is maybe i need to reconsider doing more research before buying brand new Asus router...

For the solution i read somewhere online about using a old computer and some firewall dam i forgot what it was called but basically use that computer to block connections on my network with that firewall something like that

Do you happen to know if this is Asus Router issue because if it is maybe i need to reconsider doing more research before buying brand new Asus router...

For the solution i read somewhere online about using a old computer and some firewall dam i forgot what it was called but basically use that computer to block connections on my network with that firewall something like that
If you read my previous post, it might help. In general, the hardware acceleration imposes most limitations with the absense of the CPU. No QoS, ergo CPU benefits.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!