What's new

ASUS RT-AC56R/U Firmware Does not allow changes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cnewman402

New Around Here
Router: ASUS RT-AC56R (U)
Firmware: ASUS 3.0.0.4.378_6117-ge96e3eb
Issue: Cannot make some/most changes

Description: I am trying to change some values in the router to no avail. One important setting I cannot change is the firmware. I wanted to run Merlin but cannot get any other firmware to take after upgrading to the latest on ASUS website. The largest bug is I cannot change WPS to off, enable SSH or Telnet!

Thing I Have Tried: Factory reset, Factory Firmware in GUI, Recovery Mode with blinking light via 30/30/30 then used the utility to force a flash. The router reject the previous firmware version and Merlins.

If I factory reset and do not set things up in the Wizard I cannot even change the SSID or password. If I do run through the wizard I get a half functioning router.

Things I can change that matter to me: USB SAMBA share settings, LAN IP subnet.

Any suggestions are appreciated in advance, I feel like I am stuck on this firmware released. If i could just console into it I would have a chance perhaps. Lots of applying settings... and applying settings, please wait... windows, but it just sits there with no actual change. If I reload the page it populates fine, but just acts like it never received a command for change.

6117 has numerous webui bugs in it. The only solution is to flash to an older, newer, or to my own firmware.

There's no reason for the flash to fail however, especially not after a factory default reset. Make sure you boot the router with no USB disk attached, to ensure you have enough free RAM.

I have the same firmware but do not have any of these issues.

Do you have Lastpass or some other password manager/program/antivirus running that might mess with the GUI?

Also might try a different web browser (I use Firefox).

33mxsvp.png

Sits at this screen indefinitely. I have left it overnight. I did as suggested and power cycled the router leaving it unplugged for over 15 minutes, and removed the USB devices as requested. I also tried the browser suggestion and have attempted on 4 browsers in total on two different workstations.

Additional Info: Ran a continuous ping while at this screen overnight with little to no packet loss, which says the changes never even attempt to apply.

Any suggestions?

Can I console in without disassembly or should I just go swap it for a new one and call it hardware failure?

Last edited:
That's been seen with ESET anti-virus. If you use ESET, try adding the router IP to it's exclude from scanning list.

Thanks that is really helpful. The router went back to the store and security software was changed on my home workstation. I will definitely add the exclusion to the software. I almost felt like I was compromised at home and want to get a fortinet in place on my edge. Im thinking someone changed write permissions on the router. I could be wrong though im not a programmer.

Last edited:
Pretty interesting.. my AC56R is showing the latest version as .378_4585 and I have NO problems whatsoever. In fact since the router was repaired it's working better than ever :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!