What's new

Asus RT-AC58U selective VPN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jacoscar

Occasional Visitor
I have recently bought an Asus RT-AC58U V3

I have setup Open VPN and I've got a couple of questions:
- when I activate the VPN all devices connected start using it apart from my work PC which stays connected to its own VPN (in fact the speed doesn't drop for it); although this is useful, how is it achieved?

-I have a Home Assistant server using duckDNS and which needs to be accessible from the internet, so I would like it NOT to use the VPN whenever I activate it, is this possible? I have noticed that, after activating the VPN, it still remains accessible for a few hours before becoming unaccessible, how is this possible?

I have recently bought an Asus RT-AC58U V3

I have setup Open VPN and I've got a couple of questions:
- when I activate the VPN all devices connected start using it apart from my work PC which stays connected to its own VPN (in fact the speed doesn't drop for it); although this is useful, how is it achieved?

-I have a Home Assistant server using duckDNS and which needs to be accessible from the internet, so I would like it NOT to use the VPN whenever I activate it, is this possible? I have noticed that, after activating the VPN, it still remains accessible for a few hours before becoming unaccessible, how is this possible?
What firmware are you running on the router?

The reason the speed of the VPN on the PC is faster than on the router is its processor is faster and it also probably has AES-NI function built in.

I'm running the stock firmware 3.0.0.4.386_21649

I mean that the work PC is using my company's corporate VPN, but it also connected to the router that has my personal NordVPN enabled (VPN through another VPN); so it should still be limited by the router, but in fact it is not.
Every other device connected to the router downloads at about 10MBps, while the work pc is still capable of 50Mbps (which is slightly less than what my broadband provides)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!