What's new

ASUS RT-AC66 fw 376_1123

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cutterjohn

New Around Here
Hello,

[EDIT2]
Drive is "2" TB Seagate branded external USB, NTFS formatted which I didn't bother to re-format to ext<XYZ> as NTFS support under linux is plenty good enough now(used for years on notebooks & desktops without fs corruption) and it HAD been working fine until <see below> ...
[/EDIT2]

just wondering if anyone here knew anything about problems with the latest rt-ac66 firmware, specifically with USB external disk support?

I ended up manually upgrading my AC66R with 3.0.0.4.376_1123 downloaded from ASUS support site directly. (This was an upgrade to the last release(April? no idea what the tail end build(?) # was though...)

So, did the manual upload from pc to router, seemed to flash fine, reboot manually, which I did, reboots with everything fine, but it complained about an "error" with the external USB hdd even though it's own scan log shows NO error, nor does removing the drive and checking on an actual Windows 7 machine. The drive was running perfectly until this firmware update.

I suppose that I should also mention that I ended up going to the ASUS support site, downloading the fw, and the upload file from PC method as while the router had been nagging at me for at least a week(probably longer) it would always complain about not being able to connect to the ASUS update server and to reconnect my internet(wtf?!) when it was already connected. So, today I got tired of this and just decided to well, do the dl to pc ul to router and horribly regret this now, or IOW is ASUS intentionally kind of sitting on this "update" because of known bugs and just stupidly not shutting off the update fw nag? It's a very irritating bug, and I dread reverting to the prior firmware, i.e. to lazy to go through re-configing the router again as I presume it will require a reset to factory defaults as part of the process...

[EDIT]
This:
http://support.asus.com/download.as...C66R&p=11&s=2&os=36&hashedid=rTIld6Xz0olpp3jJ
is where I obtained the fw, dated 7/7/14 meanwhile the actual unzipped fw file was dated 6/19/14 IIRC
[/EDIT]

[EDIT3]
Log:
Code:
$UpCase file is formatted for use in Windows 7

108.38 GB in 15285 files

4496 KB in 644 directories

0 KB in bad blocks in 0 fragments

146700 KB in use by the system

65536 KB occupied by the log file

4096 bytes in each allocation unit

488377855 total allocation units on volume

458632455 allocation units available on volume

The volume /dev/sda1 appears to be OK.

chkntfs returns 1
[/EDIT3]

Last edited:
Hate to double post, but just to bump this, I ended up C&Ping the above to the ASUS forums and some kind soul replied that he had the same problem, backed down directly to the old firmware w/o having to factory reset/re-enter settings.

I'll do another post tomorrow after I attempt this, might be early if it goes as the user mentions or later if I have to factory reset and jump through hoops.

I hate to say it, but I expected better of ASUS with what is more or less an embedded product like a router OTOH they suck at motherboard software as well, but that string of seamless updates just lulled me into complacency...

(Although it did take months before their servers would actually cough up the USB/external hdd "tools", so I guess that should've hinted at the trues state of usual incompetence...)

reverting to the april 374_5517 build fixed this borkenness for me as well, by way of note the old(above) fw produces a slightly different scan log result:
Code:
GetMount: "/dev/sda1"
GetMount: Device is not mounted
NTFS quick check: seems to be consistent
chkntfs returns 0
so probably some dimwit doing screenscraping or something equally moronic...

Same problem for me

I got exactly the same problem. I will downgrade as well.

If it helps for solving this problem, I use my hd for pictures, with a lot of dates in name in the folders, as well the files. typically 2014-01-01. None of these files appears now, but everything else does. I have them backed up online, so no worries, but I hope this is solved, so i dont have to download 20 GB worth of pictures.

edit: well, my pictures are gone, so downloading them to an other backup :/

the files/folders i found on it, was the files needed from the asus router.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!