What's new

Asus RT-AC66 running on 100% cpu

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mind explaining your reasoning?

It is set up for remote connections, but its not being used.

So I don't think that could be it.

Mind explaining your reasoning?

It is set up for remote connections, but its not being used.

So I don't think that could be it.

It's an always on kind of thing. Are you sharing your library with other people? Just because it's not being used, or someone is streaming, just by them browsing your library.
Also, since the Nvidia shield HAS the server on it, and it's pulling media from a NAS, you should probably make sure that it's set not to periodically scan the library. That'll jack up usage also.
Common things like this if it's using cpu cycles.

It's an always on kind of thing. Are you sharing your library with other people? Just because it's not being used, or someone is streaming, just by them browsing your library.
Also, since the Nvidia shield HAS the server on it, and it's pulling media from a NAS, you should probably make sure that it's set not to periodically scan the library. That'll jack up usage also.
Common things like this if it's using cpu cycles.

Not sharing it with anyone.

The scanning does not take up that many cycles when i do it manually though.

Im going to try and restart my NAS tommorow while the shield is still attached to see whether that may trigger it.

Thanks

Maybe there is a media database being updated over WiFi ?

Typically, when I update my firmware and reattach my storage HD with a lot of media to the router, the media server of my router start reading all data and it can take until 10 minutes before it is done. During this updating, the CPU usage is pretty high too (I know you don't use USB connected drives).

You should try to see how the router behaves when nothing is connecting to it beside the device you use to view the GUI.

Maybe there is a media database being updated over WiFi ?

Typically, when I update my firmware and reattach my storage HD with a lot of media to the router, the media server of my router start reading all data and it can take until 10 minutes before it is done. During this updating, the CPU usage is pretty high too (I know you don't use USB connected drives).

You should try to see how the router behaves when nothing is connecting to it beside the device you use to view the GUI.

I have purposefully disabled all types of media server capabilities on the router. I dont want that extra load on the router. So its not that.

I dont need to disconnect everything to see how it does, I already kinda did that last night when I pinpointed that it was the shield TV.
A soon as I unplugged the shield, the usage was going down to the single digits from 100%. Plug it back in and back up to 100%. So there is no doubt whatsoever that it's that device.

I just need some way to diagnose what process exactly on the shield was causing it.... it's like it was DDOS'ing my router lol

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!