What's new

Asus RT-AC66U B1 Connectivity Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ENDER3000

New Around Here
So I have a bit of dilemma that I cannot figure out for the life of me. I have an Asus RT-AC66U B1, running the latest Merlin AC68U firmware.

The issue started 2 days ago, when I was forced to reset to factory default. After resetting and setting up my wireless networks, I noticed that every couple hours or so, the WiFi would stop working on my smartphone. On top of that, my laptop, connected via Ethernet, would not connect to the net either nor could I access the router via the laptop unless I reset the router. Now comes the weird part. I run a Plex server off my laptop and have a Roku with different streaming services on it, ALL of which run perfectly fine while all of the above is going on. I can start an episode of a show, skip around, etc. and it runs fine. I have never encountered a problem like this before and I don't even know how I would go about trying to figure where the problem is. I have all default settings on my router except for one port forwarded.

I have also been able to play on my Switch online with no issues

Roku and Laptop connected via Ethernet. I have 2 NAS and an external HD connected via USB to the router. Never had any issues with it before.

Please let me know if you need any other information and where I may get it via the Router GUI. Don't have telnet on and not used it before.

Latest Merlin firmware does not mean much. A specific version stated is much better.
Why were you forced to reset to factory default? Were you having issues with the current firmware?
A NAS is not connected to the router with USB. NAS is Network Attached Storage and is on the LAN via Ethernet or WIFI.
If you are having issues with Merlin 386.1_2 suggest you go back to Merlin 384.19 or John's Fork which may be better for the AC66U_B1 than Merlin 386.1. Asus factory 386 beta firmware for the AC66U_B1 also works very well.
Also possible that you need a swap file on a thumb drive if you have a lot of files on that USB drive.

Sorry, I have version 386.1_2 installed.

I had to reset as it had been a few years since I had to login to my router and could not for the life of me, remember the login. Before that, I had zero issues. I know the difference between NAS and usb, I meant that I have 2 NAS drives attached along with an external HD connected via USB.

I'm not familiar with John's Fork, what is that? Will try the beta firmware, to see if that is the issue.

Sorry, I have version 386.1_2 installed.

I had to reset as it had been a few years since I had to login to my router and could not for the life of me, remember the login. Before that, I had zero issues. I know the difference between NAS and usb, I meant that I have 2 NAS drives attached along with an external HD connected via USB.

I'm not familiar with John's Fork, what is that? Will try the beta firmware, to see if that is the issue.
John's fork is older "basic" firmware with security updates and some added features. One you may like is DoT. Older hardware seems to run better on it. If you do not need AiMesh might be worth trying.

John's fork is older "basic" firmware with security updates and some added features. One you may like is DoT. Older hardware seems to run better on it. If you do not need AiMesh might be worth trying.
DoT?

Is the Fork Merlin 374 LTS the one you recommend?

Issue Resolved. Read through more threads and did a full fresh factory restore along with no more issues. Thanks for the help :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!