What's new

ASUS RT-AC66U B1 Recommendations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gundam Junky

New Around Here
Hello,

I am a long time reader, first time poster, so your patience is appreciated.

I bought an original asus rt-ac66u a year ago as a gift for a friend of mine in dire need of a new wireless router. He has enjoyed it and never had an issue. I noticed months back that there was a new B1 revision that offers a usb3 port on the front as well as the same chip that the ac68 uses. Newegg, starting today is now offering a nice sale price of $89.99.

Before I pull the trigger, I wanted to reach out to the asus community here at snb for your recommendations with this router. I do have two specific questions:

1) How stable is the hardware and current firmware with this router? I believe I will update the firmware Merlin provides as it runs well on my friend's rt-ac66u.
2) Is the B1 version have the same bottom design to be wall-mountable? This I could not confirm elsewhere as I would prefer to have this router mounted on my wall next to my ONT and switch.

Thank you everyone in advanced for providing your feedback.

The hardware is pretty much the same as the RT-AC68U (and the firmware is 100% identical), so it should be just as stable, unless there were any hardware design issue.

I checked mine, and there's no mounting hole unfortunately.

Thanks RMerlin for getting back to me. I read up on a previous thread where you were able to get a hold of a B1 and confirmed that the firmware from RT-AC68U worked, happy to hear it is stable.
It is a shame it has no wall mounting holes, have any suggestions on improvising? Again, thank you for your response.

It is a shame it has no wall mounting holes, have any suggestions on improvising? Again, thank you for your response.

Cable tiewraps are the first idea that comes to mind here, sorry.

Thanks RMerlin for getting back to me. I read up on a previous thread where you were able to get a hold of a B1 and confirmed that the firmware from RT-AC68U worked, happy to hear it is stable.
Have you tried double-side bondig tape or Velcro?

Plastic stick on picture hangers work well. I did not have those so I have my AC66U B1 resting on two screws with the router being held to the wall with wire around two more screws. Does not look good but is secure in the wiring closet.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!