What's new

ASUS RT-AC66U QoS Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MikeyPC

New Around Here
Hello SNB,

I am hosting a LAN party for a charity later this week, and since it is located in a small town, we only have a 6mbps connection to work off. I bought an ASUS RT-AC66U and a TP-Link gigabit switch. Does anyone know if the stock firmware has a feature to limit every user to say, a 500kbps limit?

We survived last year using a bunch of $9 Belkin routers as access points/switches that I found on sale, and an RT-N16 as a main router but we did run into some spikes from people trying to download from Steam.

Thanks,

Mike

i just got the rt-n66r (big box version of the n66u, i guess), and the nat throughput is worlds beyond any of my older routers. i'm not even using QoS now, though that may change as my internet connection is 10mb/768kb dsl. that said, if you just need a good router and intend to use your old equipment for the majority of the network, which is what i'm doing, you can probably get by on an older asus like the n56u or whatever. i'd have done so if i wasn't looking for instant gratification via best buy. the stock asus firmware is nice, though i wish it had minimum bandwidth QoS settings per port and an iptables gui, both i found in the linux distro zeroshell, which was great. eitherway, using the asus router uses a lot less power than most PCs turned dedicated linux server.

Hello SNB,
Does anyone know if the stock firmware has a feature to limit every user to say, a 500kbps limit?

Mike

yes. with QOS. set the limit for your 6mbit connection (and i recommend setting ur connection at 80% of your rated speed. to avoid excessive bufferbloat) so if you have 6/1 set it at 5/.8 . next step click the little sidebar in qos controls and go to user-defined priorities. and since 5mbps is exactly 5000 kbps. 10% of 5000 is 500kbps. so for the "lowest" option. set minimum reserved bandwidth to maximum and maximum bandwidth limit to 10%.

the next step is going to user defined QOS rules.

then for each device all you need to do is.
1.enter the ip address or mac address of the device you want to be affected by this rule.
2.set protocol to any
3. set priority to lowest
4. add the rule
5. apply the settings.

you must do this for each device you want to be affected by the limit. unless you could just set the protocol, set the priority to lowest, and save the rule without entering an ip. im curious if it would affect everyone. was to lazy to test it.

but that is how u do IP/MAC rate limiting on using asus QOS. took me a bit to figure it out.