What's new

Router to replace ancient RT-AC56U (large home)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Something is off. This router is popular and with very good feedback. I see V1 with V2 only from Canada and V2 is a new device on initial firmware.

1672782458202.png

This V1 router is the same hardware like the many Asus RT-AX3000 variations, but with unlocked 4x4 5GHz radio like in AX5400-class RT-AX82U, etc.

Something is off. This router is popular and with very good feedback. I see V1 with V2 only from Canada and V2 is a new device on initial firmware.

This V1 router is the same hardware like the many Asus RT-AX3000 variations, but with unlocked 4x4 5GHz radio like in AX5400-class RT-AX82U, etc.
I downloaded the new firmware, updated and of course, the router rebooted. Connections restored to all the IOT things and my cell phone. We shall see if it loses the connections again. If it does, the router is going back to Amazon. I can try simply replacing it with like for like. Or I could dumb down and get an Asus AC-RT86U (AC 2900) for $99 (Amazoo). But I have no idea how strong its radios are. Will they cover a 2500 sq ft home?

But I have no idea how strong its radios are.

One of the best in AC-class, but this router is on life support stuck on 386 firmware. Asus has no plans to update AC-class routers to 388 firmware and they may get less often security updates only. No more 386 firmware development is expected. This router also has a history of hardware failures and still has unresolved software bug. It's an excellent performer, but only when it works.

I have both AC86U and AX86U and the older model has better Wi-Fi range and wall penetration to existing AC clients. The radios on AC86U are about 4-6dBm more sensitive. All routers based on BCM4366E radios were excellent performers. TP-Link run into issues though with this first HND platform hardware and dropped their Archer C2300. Asus is still selling it despite the issues with this model.

Last edited:
One of the best in AC-class, but this router is on life support stuck on 386 firmware. Asus has no plans to update AC-class routers to 388 firmware and they may get less often security updates only. No more 386 firmware development is expected. This router also has a history of hardware failures and still has unresolved software bug. It's an excellent performer, but only when it works.

I have both AC86U and AX86U and the older model has better Wi-Fi range and wall penetration to existing AC clients. The radios on AC86U are about 4-6dBm more sensitive. All routers based on BCM4366E radios were excellent performers. TP-Link run into issues though with this first HND platform hardware and dropped their Archer C2300. Asus is still selling it despite the issues with this model.
I got Merlin running fine on my old AC56U but was limited out on updates. Never saw any issues with it other than trying to setup a 3rd guest network at which point it would configure correctly. Not that I really needed a third guest network. I thought I was doing myself a favor for running IOT things but, as I've been reading more about that stuff, guest networks don't really do that. Better to segment with a different IP pool and a separate network.

I was however, admiring the ASUS AX6000 with its 8 wired enet ports (could take my switch out of the loop). But again, right now, I just need the bgn 2.4 to be reliable and reach my cams, thermostats and irrigation controller. We'll see whether the firmware update to AX73 accomplishes that.

I was however, admiring the ASUS AX6000 with its 8 wired enet ports (could take my switch out of the loop)

Keep your switch. This model has issues reported with the additional LAN 5-8 switch inside. The quality of routers 10-years ago is long gone. Everything you buy today won't last that long. If you really want stable Wi-Fi you have to get out of this closet and use a few APs in right places. What you get from home routers today is described well here by another member:

If this router doesn't work for you - return it to Amazon and try another. The brand name perhaps won't change the behavior because the same hardware uses the same wireless drivers from the SoC manufacturer. For this specific platform Asus, TP-Link, D-Link, Linksys, etc. all get the drivers from Broadcom. What's different is firmware options and WebUI. The closest Asus equivalent to Archer AX73 is RT-AX82U, but the 2.4GHz radio is all the same. This model also has positive feedback. Popular better hardware model is RT-AX86U, but it has firmware issues lately with the new 388 firmware.

Well my cams went offline again. TP-LINK Tether can't see the router on 2.4 but OK on 5ghz. Something is wrong internally.

Last straw was getting a tech support guy from TP-LINK who couldn't speak english and wanted to virtually start over on the "troubleshooting". I finally got frustrated and said this isn't worth my time. router goes back to Amazon. Bye. 5 minutes later a supervisor calls and says we're going to escalate this to next level. OK I ask, when will they get back to me? Between 24 and 48 hours. Uh no. I've already wasted enough time proving the product doesn't work. Back it goes to Amazon.

I may be a glutton for punishment but I'm gonna try the same router as a replacement from Amazon. I have to think that the 2.4 devices losing their connection is a hardware problem (defect). So we'll give it one more shot and see.

I would try a different router..maybe asus..you said your devices worked ok on your old asus.

Today, the one you want to order/test in your environment is the RT-AX68U instead.

Today, the one you want to order/test in your environment is the RT-AX68U instead.
I don't have any AX compatible devices. Even my LG Smart TV is only AC. I figured I'd try what seems to be one of the better AC routers and compare it to the replacement TP-LINK -- assuming the TP doesn't show the same problems as the one I "think" is defective.

I don't have any AX compatible devices. Even my LG Smart TV is only AC. I figured I'd try what seems to be one of the better AC routers and compare it to the replacement TP-LINK -- assuming the TP doesn't show the same problems as the one I "think" is defective.
I know the below may be not considered in high regard here *.. the following review is relative to one enviroment , wifi6 2.4, and I know speed does not equal range etc.. but it shows the wifi6 2.4 to not be very special on AX73 ..again in his environment and testing. At 10 and 40ft less than half the rate of some other routers.

* I so miss the detailed SNB tests where one could see where the rate went to 0 in a controlled environment.

Looking forward to your tests of your 2.4
devices and other routers. (Popcorn ready)

I know the below may be not considered in high regard here *.. the following review is relative to one enviroment , wifi6 2.4, and I know speed does not equal range etc.. but it shows the wifi6 2.4 to not be very special on AX73 ..again in his environment and testing. At 10 and 40ft less than half the rate of some other routers.

* I so miss the detailed SNB tests where one could see where the rate went to 0 in a controlled environment.

Looking forward to your tests of your 2.4
devices and other routers. (Popcorn ready)

The router to buy today is not based on the current client devices you have now. Unless you're into buying routers multiple times a year.

Just like phase 2, AC class routers dominated previous generation equipment (even with the same 'old' client devices), so too do the best AX class routers decimate the previous AC kings.

The best AC class router I have used was the RT-AC86U. A single RT-AX68U was superior to 2x RT-AC86Us. That is why I am suggesting that model.

Don't dismiss the improvements possible of the latest hardware, even with last generation clients.

Test websites provide little value. It doesn't matter how the router performs in RF isolated chamber or in someone's unique Wi-Fi environment in different region than mine and with different clients than mine. Most routers perform about the same on 2.4GHz with older g/n clients. There is no much difference between AC66U, AC68U and AC86U - three generations routers. AX86U is about the same as well. There is no many Wi-Fi 6 capable IoT devices.

Hopefully the 1st one was just a dud and the 2nd one ends up being good. Like I said, my AX73 is solid (but no 2.4 use)

I do also have a Netgear RAX50, same reference design as the AX73 and on that one I do run 5 Blink cameras on 2.4, never a problem. This also was my 2nd RAX50, the 1st one I returned after a few days as nothing would remain connected to it for long, so it was a dud.