What's new

ASUS RT-AC66U versus EA6300 Signal Strength

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PieceOfChum

New Around Here
Hello,

I wanted to find out if anyone knew which router the AC66U or the EA6300 would have the best signal strength at distance? I have the EA6300 that is really the EA6400 and was thinking of returning it for the AC66U since I can't get the 5ghz signal in my backyard where I do use my computer often and the 2.4ghz is better outside but has really low throughput.

Thanks

Our tests show that the AC66U would be better than the EA6300v1/EA6400. Still no guarantee, though, that either would reach your backyard, especially if the 2.4 GHz signal is marginal.

Big Difference

Wow that is a big difference in throughput over distance. It doesn't appear that there is any compelling reason to get the Linksys over the Asus I think the Asus beats it in just about every measurement.

Asus AC66r versus EA6400

I bought an Asus AC66r and returned an EA6400. I was hoping to get just about 10 more feet of range and a more stable 5ghz signal. I do have a more stable 5 ghz signal as far as losing internet connection occasionally which I had with the EA6400 - even after being "optimized" by Linksys Support. Also the AC66r worked with all my devices out of the box the Linksys did not again I had to call Linksys support and they changed a few settings which did work wonderfully. The AC66r 2.4 ghz signal is definitely stronger than the EA6400 however the 5 ghz signal drifts a lot I sometimes get a nice strong signal and other times 3 out of 5 bars in the very same spot. I found the EA6400 also had some variation in 5 ghz signal but not as dramatic as the ACC66r. With the Linksys I got very fast ping times under 8 ms on average I get higher ping times on the AC66r so far averaging around 14ms which is still good but the AC66r is more expensive and really should be at least as good in this respect as the EA6400. I like the software on the AC66r far more than the Linksys although the Linksys is a little easier to use and the GUI is a lot faster. As far as the 5ghz signal is concerned I have tried many different antennae configurations and I have tried to bump up the antennae power to 200 mw 20 mw at a time with no change. I think that the range and throughput at least on the 5ghz range is only as good as the EA6400 and the strength varies more. Any tips on how to remedy this would be appreciated.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!