What's new

Asus RT-ac68P vs TP-Link Archer ax1800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sludgepickle

New Around Here
First post, network novice here. I have had an ASUS RT-AC68P for a while. It's AC1900/Wi-Fi 5, supports 600 Mbps x 3 streams for 2.4GHz and 1300 Mbps x 3 streams for 5GHz. Thought I'd upgrade to Wi-Fi 6 so I bought the TP-Link AX1800, but just realized it supports 574 Mbps x 2 streams on 2.4 and 1201 Mbps x 2 streams on 5 GHz. Seems like I'm actually going down in speed?? Or am i missing something. I realize the new router offers some things like beamforming and better encryption (see https://versus.com/en/asus-rt-ac68u-vs-tp-link-archer-ax1800 for more comparison. I assume the AC68u is close enough to my AC68P)...but I really just want my stuff fast and reliable.

Home network info: I have a full house of kids and phones and streaming devices and security cams etc... Fing says I have 59 devices connected right now...maybe 40+ are wireless but probably only 5 heavy bandwidth users at a time. 500Mbps internet plan coming through my cable router.

Should I return it and get a tri-band to split out the traffic more and ultimately have better bandwidth per device?

Hi friend, I'm wondering 3 things:
1. why did you switch ASUS to TP?
2. is your house cross-floor? ever considered mesh?
3. have you opened and used the TP AX1800? I guess is TP Archer AX20, right?

Hi friend, I'm wondering 3 things:
1. why did you switch ASUS to TP?
2. is your house cross-floor? ever considered mesh?
3. have you opened and used the TP AX1800? I guess is TP Archer AX20, right?
Thanks for replying! 1) no reason...just searching for deals. Do you recommend staying with Asus? 2) 2 floors, yes thought about mesh but not sure I need it. House is pretty square but I could see adding one mesh node for kids upper/front rooms. Any recommendation? 3) I guess it's the AX21...haven't opened it yet, was going to return unless it's worth a test. I just realized after buying it how close they appear to be spec-wise...wondering if I should upgrade further to make it worth it. I do get some weak coverage and, I assume, crowding on channels.

Or am i missing something.

Most clients are 2-stream and what the router "supports" on paper is mostly marketing. Archer AX21 is an entry-level router, but newer and faster. It will work the same way or better to your existing N/AC clients plus has support for newer AX clients. It may also have better range than your RT-AC68P.

1) no reason...just searching for deals. Do you recommend staying with Asus?
caz ASUS routers and mesh could connect with each other better than you connect the devices between different brands. which means that if you buy the next ASUS router/mesh, you could connect it to your RT-AC68P as a node as well.
2) 2 floors, yes thought about mesh but not sure I need it. House is pretty square but I could see adding one mesh node for kids upper/front rooms. Any recommendation?
since you have 2 floors, I'd suggest using mesh to broaden the coverage of every corner of your house, as you've mentioned, adding one mesh node for kids would be nice for you and your kids. If you're interested in mesh, suggest ASUS XD4 2pk, it's a WiFi6 entry-level mesh.
3) I guess it's the AX21
this is really more affordable, but since we won't usually switch the router/mesh, I'd suggest buying a more powerful one for good
It may also have better range than your RT-AC68P.
it makes sense too, so just follow your heart! which product would you really need and want, go get it!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!