What's new

Asus RT-AC68R and IOS 8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Raiu

Regular Contributor
I didn't know where else I could ask this but I thought this would be a good place to start.

There are a few people that are having WiFi issues after updating to Ios8.

After doing some research I was reminded that Apple implemented MAC address randomization when the device is scanning wifi networks.

Well if this device is connected and scanning for wifi networks at the same time wouldn't the router think it needs to dish out a new ip address thus for a split second that device would have 2 ips, confuse the router and then bogging down the entire network?

Am I reaching or crazy? :eek:

I was trying to find a setting that said "turn off MAC randomization".

After doing some research I was reminded that Apple implemented MAC address randomization when the device is scanning wifi networks.

Well if this device is connected and scanning for wifi networks at the same time wouldn't the router think it needs to dish out a new ip address thus for a split second that device would have 2 ips, confuse the router and then bogging down the entire network?
No, that's not how the iOS8 MAC randomization works. According to this article, the randomization of the MAC happens when the the wireless is not associated with any network.
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/0...ion-under-ios-8-making-handover-to-cops-moot/
It also mentions that when an iOS 8 device is not associated with a Wi-Fi network, and the processor is asleep, the device uses a randomized Media Access Control address.

"Because a device’s MAC address now changes when it’s not connected to a network, it can’t be used to persistently track a device by passive observers of Wi-Fi traffic," the document also states.

I am using a iPad 2 with ios8 and have no issues at all with connecting before or after the new OS. I am using RT-AC68U, 376.47

Right on. I was sure that what was causing the wifi issues after the iOS update. I rolled my iPad back to ios 7 and it works great again.

I'm not sure if the new iOS8 randomization will cause your iPad to be unstable. All of our apple products(ipad mini, iPad 3, iPhone 5,5C,5S) works fine after the upgrade including the non upgraded iPhone 6 with the N66u.

iPad Mini Retina slow/dropped WiFi connection since ios 8 update. Is there another solution besides rolling back to ios 7?

Steve Jobs must be rolling in his grave with all of these Tim Cook era blunders.

Guess apple has stepped into the realm of samsung and asus doing public beta testing and not telling them lol

It's not the first time...every new version is creating some noise either on NASs forums either on networking forums.

It's not your case, but most of the users complains about anything else than their "all mighty latest upgrade from Apple" that is perfect while anybody else is messing up ;)

also if this mac randomization wasn't working properly and was running while the devices connected would cause the issues everyone is stating in the thread below.

It definitely is a possibility, however, if it's(MAC randomization) the cause, then everyone will be affected by it. My household's apple products didn't. Reading around, many solved this particular wireless disconnections by "resetting the network". Have you tried that?

I'm not sure I fully understand how this MAC randomization works, but if it does like I think it does, it's a stupid idea and will lead only to confusion and issues.

I'm not 100% sure either of what MAC randomization does but from what I read and understand the wireless's MAC will be randomized when disconnected to any wireless stations and the processor is idle to prevent would be trackers. If any of the two requirements are not met, the randomization will not happen. But then it might not have been implemented, I have not seen anything about it in the apple sites.
What were you thinking? Want to share?;)

I'm not sure I fully understand how this MAC randomization works, but if it does like I think it does, it's a stupid idea and will lead only to confusion and issues.

If randomization MAC is limited to Probe Request, it won't cause any problems.
Apple documentation on this area is yet to appear, but for now it does look they are randomizing MAC only for Probe Request.

If randomization MAC is limited to Probe Request, it won't cause any problems.
Apple documentation on this area is yet to appear, but for now it does look they are randomizing MAC only for Probe Request.

first, merlin I agree with you. Thats why I am thinking that this "security or privacy application" is borked. I seriously think that ios 8 runs the mac randomizer while its connected to an ssid causing the network to basicly shut down.

What im trying to figure out it how to trouble shoot that. From what I am seeing from all the suggested fixes, all of them have one thing in common is a dhcp renewal.

For instance;

Resetting wifi, resets wifi connection and lease time
changing dns settings, then turning off and on wifi does the same as above
resetting idevice = same as above.

Eventually the issue comes right back. and when the issue happens on the idevice the network drops on all devices right after and you can see a peak in usage on what ever band the idevice is on, on the router wifi usage graph 2.4 or 5ghz

So, my hypothesis is the mac address is changing randomly if the devices is connected or not or the wifi driver on the idevice is also messed up thus messing up the mac random generator script.

I have colleagues with iOS8 and I can't find different leases for the same mac address. I was looking in the logs for a couple of iPhones 5s and no, it doesn't randomize the mac address that is connecting to the network.
I'm not expecting any pool exhaustion due to iOS8.

I'm not 100% sure either of what MAC randomization does but from what I read and understand the wireless's MAC will be randomized when disconnected to any wireless stations and the processor is idle to prevent would be trackers. If any of the two requirements are not met, the randomization will not happen. But then it might not have been implemented, I have not seen anything about it in the apple sites.
What were you thinking? Want to share?;)

A MAC is meant to be a unique identifier for any network interface, so networking equipment can actually identify physical devices.

I fail to see what benefit you can gain from having your device's MAC randomly change at certain times. Afraid that the local Starbuck will be able to tell it's always you who goes there at noon every day with an iPhone in his pocket? Then start wearing a mask and change it every time, because your face sure won't be randomly changing to "hide your privacy". People don't need to use a traffic sniffer to see if it's the same MAC on a daily basis, they just have to use their Eyeballs Mark I...

If you are still worried, then do what I do myself: just turn off your phone's wifi. I do it to save on battery life personally, not for privacy reason, but it will have the same effect if "privacy" is your intended goal.

Some people are becoming quite idiotic when it comes to privacy, quite frankly. A knee-jerk reaction to the complete opposite end of the spectrum, where some people will share their whole life for the whole world to see. The balance lies in the middle of those two extremes.

Last edited:
I have disconnections problems with my iPad air, if it is paired to 5Ghz band.

Simply after a standby (during standby seem to be stable the wifi) I unlock the device, and after 3-4 seconds wifi icon is still present near "iPad", but iPad air stop to download-upload data.

I need to turn off and on wifi. No problem with 2.4Ghz band.

I tried to restore network setting, re-paired the device to the wifi, but nothing, problem is still present.

I have a AC68U and the coverage of 5Ghz band is very good where I use the iPad air. What can I do?

Now I set it to 2.4Ghz band.. But AppleTV and two iPhone (5 and 5S) works well with 5Ghz Asus band...

I've read on the apple forums, as well as have seen this on Youtube.

On your iDevice - try entering 8.8.8.8 under the DNS setting.

It seems to work for many people (and not just for 20 minutes like the other 'fixes').

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!