What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U dropping WIFI or internet on some devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shaneaj

New Around Here
Hi,

I've a ASUS RT-AC68U running Merlin 384.19. My issue is that my wifi connections for phones etc often come up with "No Internet" messages. Also ESP8266 type devices get dropped and randomly reconnected to the network.

If someone can have a look at the settings (see attached) and let me know if there's a obvious mistake? I have been trying to "dumb" things down on the settings on the hunch that the ESP8266s prefer legacy settings.

Below are some error messages from the system log.

Code:
Oct 23 12:18:04 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(466): eth1: Deauth_ind xx:xx:xx:xx, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3)
Oct 23 12:18:04 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(500): eth1: Auth xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, status: Successful (0)

There are a lot of them and frequent. from what I can see it happens for both wired and wireless devices

Attachments

• DHCP server.PNG
    DHCP server.PNG
    29.3 KB · Views: 205
  • General Tab.PNG
    General Tab.PNG
    21.8 KB · Views: 179
  • WAN.PNG
    WAN.PNG
    299.9 KB · Views: 205
  • Wifi Professional.PNG
    Wifi Professional.PNG
    271.5 KB · Views: 238
I've been having similar behavior with an Android TV, seems to be the only devices I have that is affected though. Haven't been able to run down what's going on yet.

Feel you.
I have sn AC-88U with 384.19.
I have a slightly reproducible issue:

By watching tiktok after about 2-3 minutes the videos begin to hard lag. I opened logs and found nothing. I opened the wifi log and could see that the device is obviously reconnecting too much. When the videos lag, connection time is always in correlation to the last lag...

i will try if the behavioue changes by disabling smart wifi connect. But I liked that idea of that setup.

I've a ASUS RT-AC68U running Merlin 384.19. My issue is that my wifi connections for phones etc often come up with "No Internet" messages. Also ESP8266 type devices get dropped and randomly reconnected to the network.

If someone can have a look at the settings (see attached) and let me know if there's a obvious mistake? I have been trying to "dumb" things down on the settings on the hunch that the ESP8266s prefer legacy settings.

I've noticed on a network with ESP based devices that the WiFi dies. Sometimes sooner, sometimes later, but it will die. Then the WiFi needs to be restarted. My theory so far is that because the devices can't "see" some of the devices in the network because of distance and other obstructions and it will create havoc. I've tried different settings, including lower RTS threshold, different DTIM and Beacon Intervals but nothing fool proof yet. Maybe the ESPs are just not great clients. Granted I run 20+ of them and I do have them on a seperate router and WiFi channel just for this reason, I don't want my production net to die.

I recently (uptime 12 days) switched from John's fork to 384.19. At first I noticed that the log was flooded with these deauth messages. And both my recent xiaomi.eu phones lost their connection as soon as they weren't used and never reconnected automatically. My mistake was probably that I tried to replicate the tweaks I applied in John's fork under Wireless Professional (where I never had these deauth errors). So, I did a full reset, factory default, redefined everything from screenshots and did not try to tweak Wireless as I did before. I have no more problem but I can't tell why some settings and which one worked under John's version and produce catastrophic results under 384.19.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!