What's new

Release ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.51255

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stock Asus firmware isn't required or needed for stable AiMesh performance. All the networks I set up are using RMerlin firmware on all main/primary routers and on any/all AiMesh nodes that are needed on those networks.

Don't speak of things you don't know of. Your negative attitude towards RMerlin firmware and Asus hardware is exhausting.

Ok, I have to agree with you....
So if I want to go ahead with flashing all routers what is the best and correct method to use!? Do I have to setup the mesh from scratch... yes... I have to reset every router using power + wps and then load the merlin firmware onto each one. When that is done I can start to rebuild my mesh network.

If there is another better way to do it please let me know. Thanks!!
//

Here is the Asus tutorial:

And here what RMerlin wrote about it:

Regarding AiMesh there is no difference in AsusWRT or Asuswrt-Merlin.
I suggest to use identical or close to the same release date firmware of either AsusWRT or Asuswrt-Merlin on all hardware in the AiMesh setup.
One or the other firmware branch is a personal choice.
AiMesh nodes must go through a hard reset to setup them up as node (client).

Regarding AiMesh there is no difference in AsusWRT or Asuswrt-Merlin.

There is quite a difference and threads like this are everywhere. Some recent ones from last week:

The Wiki is old for AiMesh 1.0 in 384 firmware. This is the latest AiMesh statement in 388.1 thread:

"it's unsupported, it's known to have issues, and you get what you get out of it."

Ok, I have to agree with you...

Try if for yourself and see. Make sure you have plenty of time to troubleshoot. Don't expect much support from people saying it's working fine. You'll be asked to reboot and reset countless times and if it still doesn't work - it will be your fault. Good luck.

Only been running a couple of days but after a factory reset, AIMesh seems relatively stable.

After 10 days uptime my router has "disappeared". Cant login with any browser or the App. Curious situation yet the Wifi and ethernet connections are working.

Similar RT-AC66U B1 running the same firmware:

1679439520782.png

Upgraded over Internet and never touched after.

86u+68u (node) with new fw work ok
1679440892998.png

Powered off and on and will re-test. Stopped logging around 1800 my time. AI Node stopped working too.

No issues here, RT-AC68U Router and RT-AC1900U Media Bridge both up over 18 days after the upgrade over the internet.
The Printer and Media Bridge do show over 430 hours Connect Time in the Wireless log, so no single wireless disruption after reboot of the router after the firmware upgrade.

I tried to update from 3.0.0.4.384_20648-g21e3702 to this version but it didn't take. No errors. Rebooted and still the same version as before.

Hi Everyone,
RT-AC68U HW version A1
Upgraded to this new version 3.0.0.4.386_51255-g486ded6 about 2 weeks ago.
Over the web.
Now I have that problem with abnormally high traffic peaks...
Traffic Analyzer does not last a whole day with data. Possibly the last few hours are showing. With Traffic Monitor, I have peaks of terabytes, almost the same amount of upload and download.
That problem was also on some previous versions (I don't remember which one) so 2-3 versions worked as it should and now here it is again.
I also tried hard reset and settings step by step to see if some service will dumb it down, but no. I have the same problem with the default settings without any services that I otherwise use. I mean AiProtection, Adaptive QoS, QoS - Web History, OpenVPN server. NAT Acceleration off.
And I noticed that now every hour a message appears in the log:
BWDPI: [BWANA] Revert process and free memory (pid=xxxxx)
Anyone have any idea what this is about? I read about this problem here on the forum and some interesting solutions, but it didn't help me.

Your router has ancient firmware full of known security issues.
Maybe you shall start with reverting to factory default, then manual update to 3.0.0.4.385.20252
Download is here:

If that succeeded, try a further upgrade to 3.0.0.4.386.51255.
After the final update you shall NOT load an old configuration file, the router shall be manual configured.
Even after a factory reset (via the web interface) the version you linked didn't take either.

Last edited:
I give up. The restore utility failed. The router is old, still good though. I am concerned about the security holes.
I'll get a new one.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!