What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U not stable & drops connections

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Madj4ck

Regular Contributor
I bought ASUS RT-AC68U in Dec 2013 and haven't been able to make it work for too long. 6 hrs is the max i have seen it do without dropping connections. I have tried Asus firmware, Merlin & Tomato firmware. Am I doing something wrong or is it defective a router I should have it replaced?

Last edited:
I bought ASUS RT-AC68U in Dec 2013 and haven't been able to make it work for too long. 6 hrs is the max i have it do without dropping connections. I have tried Asus firmware, Merlin & Tomato firmware. Am I doing something wrong or is it defective a router I should have it replaced?

Have you tried a factory reset and leaving the default options in tact for a while except for the SSID and encryption keys?

Also, try making your SSID name and WPA2 AES encryption keys as simple as possible for testing.

Is it dropping connections on 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, and wired or just some of them?

Have you tried a factory reset and leaving the default options in tact for a while except for the SSID and encryption keys?

Also, try making your SSID name and WPA2 AES encryption keys as simple as possible for testing.

Is it dropping connections on 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, and wired or just some of them?

Okay I will try that :), and connections drops on everything [2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, and wired]

You may also want to try factory resetting the router, upgrading to latest firmware of asus or Merlin, then factory reset again.

If youve been having issues since 2013, then you have a bad router which should have been replaced or fixed under warranty.

And since you have tried various firmwares, then you have reset your router many times as instructed by each firmware builder.

If youve been having issues since 2013, then you have a bad router which should have been replaced or fixed under warranty.

And since you have tried various firmwares, then you have reset your router many times as instructed by each firmware builder.

Yes I have reset-ed it many times, I think I can still have it replaced or fixed under warranty since I still have about 11 months under warranty. How do I do that though?

Yes I have reset-ed it many times, I think I can still have it replaced or fixed under warranty since I still have about 11 months under warranty. How do I do that though?

Sorry madj4ck, sometimes I forget to ask the obvious questions first. Yes, it is def new router time. I just recently bought the 68u and it is an incredible router. Hopefully this bad experience of it won't sour you on the model or Asus.

I bought ASUS RT-AC68U in Dec 2013 and haven't been able to make it work for too long. 6 hrs is the max i have seen it do without dropping connections. I have tried Asus firmware, Merlin & Tomato firmware. Am I doing something wrong or is it defective a router I should have it replaced?

When you lose connectivity, is it only from your device to the internet or do you lose the entire wired/wireless connection? Have you checked the status of your cable/dsl modem?

The whole network goes down :(. The cables are fine as I am using them right now with n56u :)

Last edited:
Simular problem

Since the last release 3.0.0.4.378.3873 I also experience frequent connection errors.

The router runs (sometimes hours, once one whole day) but then restarts itself with a new date in the logging (always Dec 1).

Jan 25 00:59:57 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 25 01:59:59 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 25 03:00:01 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 25 03:59:57 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 25 04:59:57 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 25 05:59:57 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 25 06:59:57 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 25 07:59:59 ntp: start NTP update
Dec 1 01:00:13 syslogd started: BusyBox v1.17.4
Dec 1 01:00:13 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.17.4 (2015-01-12 08:26:27 CST)
Dec 1 01:00:13 kernel: Linux version 2.6.36.4brcmarm (gitserv_asus@wireless-pub1) (gcc version 4.5.3 (Buildroot 2012.02) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jan 12 08:34:54 CST 2015
Dec 1 01:00:13 kernel: CPU: ARMv7 Processor [413fc090] revision 0 (ARMv7), cr=10c53c7f
Dec 1 01:00:13 kernel: CPU: VIPT nonaliasing data cache, VIPT nonaliasing instruction cache
Dec 1 01:00:13 kernel: Machine: Northstar Prototype
Dec 1 01:00:13 kernel: Ignoring unrecognised tag 0x00000000
Dec 1 01:00:13 kernel: Memory policy: ECC disabled, Data cache writealloc
Dec 1 01:00:13 kernel: Built 1 zonelists in Zone order, mobility grouping on. Total pages: 60416

etc

After the firmware update I reset the router as instructed by Asus and did an extra factory reset through the UI.

I also needed to de the region to GMT to be able to set a new user name and password.

After a manual power cycle the router works again ..... for a period.

Anyone any clues, or just a new firmware bug?

Last edited:
Finally got around calling Asus & got the rma email and I am ready to rma it to them. I have two questions though:

What do I send in the box to Asus, power adapter & router with antennas only right or everything that came with it ?

2nd is can leave Merlin's firmware installed or should I install the stock firmware ?

Last edited:
Don't worry about the installed firmware.

Include everything that came with it or the RMA could be questioned or cancelled.

Don't worry about the installed firmware.

Include everything that came with it or the RMA could be questioned or cancelled.

Oh ok will do, thank you :)

One last thing though, do i pay for shipping & return shipping or Asus does ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!