What's new

Asus RT-AC68U - USB HDD connected on USB are not accesible on ftp via wan

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mariusrtr

New Around Here
I have an Asus RT-AC68U and everything was fine until a few months ago. At some point at the end of 2020 the router had some strange behaviour because it was ok 2 or 3 days and after that my wireless networks were unavailable until I have restarted the router.
Now things seems ok with the last beta firmware that Asus released. But now I am not able to acces my ftp from asuscomm.com from anywhere else outside of my network. I have enabled WAN on USB apps, I have tried any kind of solutions but nothing seems to work. I even rolled back to a older firmware. I also used Merlin firmware for this router but I am not able to make it work outside my lan. In my network I am able to see my USB HDD attached to this router, I am even able to connect to it like a ftp, but when I try to acces the ftp from another place I am not able to do it.
I can not explain what happened exactly because I have used another Asus routers untill this one and I did not had any kind of a similar problem.

I would appreciate any kind of help.

Thank you!

Perhaps your ISP changed your IP address to CGNAT. Check that the WAN IP address shown on the router's Network Map page matches that shown by https://canyouseeme.org/. Also check that your asuscomm.com address resolves to the same address.

Hi Colin

Thank you!

This is my IP shown on CanYouSeeMe:

1616877169516.png

ANd this is my IP shown on Asus

1616877225565.png

It seems that they do not match.

What should I do?

100.78.x.y is a CGNAT address assigned by your ISP. You will not be able to reach your router's VPN server from the internet because of this. You need your router to have a public IP address, which is presumably what it had last year.

There are two things you can try.

1) Contact your ISP and ask them to give you a public IP address instead of a CGNAT address.

2) On the router's WAN setup page use the MAC Clone button (and apply the change). Then power cycle both your modem and router. You should be assigned a new WAN IP address. If you're lucky it might be a public one.

Thank you Colin!

I have tryed the second solution...but the IP is still with 100 in the begining.
I will try the first one.

Thank you very much for your support!

As Colin suggested, call your ISP and see if they will assign you a public IP.

If your ISP can not give you a public IP, see if they are willing to set up a port forward for you. I am behind a CGNAT as well. My ISP was very accommodating. They set up a static IP within the CGNAT and forward 5 ports of my choice (I just gave them a range in the 51000s) to me from their public side IP.

Works fantastic.

As Colin suggested, call your ISP and see if they will assign you a public IP.

If your ISP can not give you a public IP, see if they are willing to set up a port forward for you. I am behind a CGNAT as well. My ISP was very accommodating. They set up a static IP within the CGNAT and forward 5 ports of my choice (I just gave them a range in the 51000s) to me from their public side IP.

Works fantastic.
Thank you Jeffrey!

Meanwhile I have solved this with my ISP, because they offer a free DDNS service. This way I was able to create my own DDNS and it works great!

Thank you Jeffrey!

Meanwhile I have solved this with my ISP, because they offer a free DDNS service. This way I was able to create my own DDNS and it works great!

Even better!